MO River Feedback....NB City/Hamburg Area

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by flex2win, Jul 15, 2016.

1. flex2win

flex2win Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Gibbles
    Gonna swing out from Central Iowa, looking to drop in either in Hamburg or the NB City side.
    Never been on the MO before, done some reading about the flow rates, wing dams etc..

Bringing my Alumacraft MV 1860, 50hp Merc.

Just looking for some feedback on that section of the river, what to expect, etc...I've followed a few threads on the MO, but don't hear a whole lot about this stretch.

Thanks for any input.

2. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    I run an 1860 as well, good boat for the river. I was out earlier around omaha when it was raining, about 2 stuff started floating down from up North. I hear theres some good fishing down there though. Good luck!

3. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    It's not all that great most people I know here in Nebraska city either run 20 miles north to the plattsmouth area or go down to brownville to the discharge at cooper nuclear

4. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    Another thing is if you don't have an AIS sticker for your boat you will get a ticket best bet is to put in on an Iowa ramp unless you want to spend 15 bucks on the sticker

5. flex2win

flex2win Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Gibbles
    Excellent advice FH..

6. bowhunter87

bowhunter87 Member

State:
    iowa
    Name:
    Tim
    I am planning on doing the same thing. Thanks for the info on the AIS sticker. Are there any good bait dealers in the area to buy larger bait from? Just looking around the internet I saw the story on Paap's bait store. I may have to stop in there just to see that crappie.

7. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    Depends on what kind of bait you want if you just want goldfish yeah or if you want skipjack I can tell you a place

8. bowhunter87

bowhunter87 Member

State:
    iowa
    Name:
    Tim
    Never fished with Goldfish. I like shad around here for channels so skipjack may be nice. I was planning on catching some creek chubs but we just got 3" of rain so I am afraid that will be out of the question. Got about 20 small gills ready to go so I will be trying those.

9. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    I wouldn't bring gills unless you want a ticket Nebraska is cracking down on people using gills for bait unless you can prove you caught them on the river I don't think it would matter if you put in on an Iowa ramp since you have to follow Nebraska laws on the river and it's the state with the stricter laws

10. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    How do you know they are cracking down on using gills JR? You are correct about the law though, boundry waters always are subject to the state of stricter laws

11. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    There was a few people that got tickets for it here a couple weeks ago.. From what I've been told by a few different people they're going to start watching the river here regularly

12. flex2win

flex2win Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Gibbles
    So just to be clear, I could not bring my own live bait that was caught on rod and reel around where I live out to the MO if using the NB ramp? That blows if true.

13. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    Technically if that was the case I dont believe you can use your own caught live bait even if you launch from Iowa since the river is a border waterway and you must yeild to the stricter states laws.

Done likes this.