MO River. Anybody fish there?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by ShowmeWhiskers, Jan 26, 2010.

1. ShowmeWhiskers

ShowmeWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    So I am new to this site and just kinda reviewed the last 5 months of posts in the MO section. I noticed there is very little on people who fish on the mainstem MO River (and its Tribs). In particular I am wondering about the central section around Jeff City up to Glasgow area. I have worked on this section of river for two years tracking catfish with radio telemetry tags. So, not to steal anyones thunder but what kind of structure are you guys fishing? what season? preferred methods and baits? Also I got a SeaArk im gonna do some mods on and I'll post some pics for suggestions.

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Not much going on there right now...go to the Missouri Rivers section and scroll down. There will be a tab to show all threads from the beginning. Now you've got some catching up to do!

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the USCA. As you can see from the threads a lot of people fish the Mo. river. A little slow at the time because of the weather but it will pick up.

4. ShowmeWhiskers

State:
    Missouri
    ahha, checked out the rivers section, prolly should have done that in the first place. I know when i worked out there, i never saw too many people fishing. I went a few times caught some 20 lb blues and one 64 pounder. Tracking the catfish daily really gave me some good knowledge of their movement patterns but it can be tough to set up correctly for fishing out there.

5. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    You have found the best fishing site on the internet...glad to see you posting and hope you share some of the results of the tracking you did. Can't wait to hear about it.

6. fridaybocopw

fridaybocopw New Member

State:
    Missouri
    myself and joer fish that section. Though we havent got together and done it yet. I know a lot of people that launch from the hartsburg area and catch quite a few fish. I fish it a lot from the bank in hartsburg during the summer. almost always catch a few little ones.

7. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Lot of Mo river rats on here. Best of luck and in time we will and do share. I would be most interested in the tracking data you have.

8. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Welcome to the BOC. You will soon see just how many river rats there are around here. A couple of those rats are pretty ugly:tremble: However, you couldn't have asked for better people to learn from:handshake: The weathers keepin em down abit, but soon the boc will be infested again with a bunch of posts, pics, and shared info about the missouri:Happy: I can't wait!!!

9. Fishin'_Fool

Fishin'_Fool New Member

State:
    Moberly MO
    Welcome to the USCA, Larry. Plenty of MO River fisherman on here. Give it time and you'll have more information than you know what to do with. Would love for you to share some of your tracking info with your new-found brothers!

10. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When I get the chance...not often enough, I love to fish the Mo. River. Usually somewhere between Glasgow and Brunswick. Sometimes we run lines off the lower end of a notched dike where the water is swift. Also anchor to a dike and fish the scour holes. Haven't caught any monsters yet. Tell me what I'm doing wrong! :angry: I did hook a moster fishing around an old dike or wall or whatever you call it that is constructed of posts. Fish made it to cover and broke me off. That was near the Dalton access. Most of the fish I have caught on the Mo. are under 30#, but I know the bigguns are in there somewhere...I just don't know how to approach them.

11. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Welcome aboard Larry. There are a lot of Missouri River fisherman on here and they will share a bunch of knowledge with you. Like the other guys I am interested in the seasonal movements of catfish.

12. ShowmeWhiskers

State:
    Missouri
    Hi everybody and thanks for the replies. Some of you are asking about the tracking data we collected. Just for the record this was not my project and these observations are simply that from my personal experience tracking and not the statistically supported results from this project that will be published. From the PM and replies ive got so far, id say you guys know plenty to catch some big fish. Our tracking consisted of blues and flatties some over 60#. we tracked through the summer and into the fall on the MO river from booneville bridge to ~10 miles upstream of Glasgow. Some of you may have seen us out there. All fish were tagged on the mainstem MO but my first year I only tracked on the tributaries (Lamine, Grand, Chariton). Contrary to popular belief, all of the fish do not go into the tributaries to spawn, although id say maybe 15-25% of the tagged fish did go up into the tribs starting in mid June through late July early August. Some of these fish would really move upwards of 15 miles in one day. During this time frame we had several fish move from the mainstem MO way up the grand, even making it near Chilicothe. They would stay there for a week maybe longer and come back down, a couple stayed in the grand. This is when I would hit the Grand river but man it can be extremely trecherous during the summer. I went through 3 props in a matter of 2 1/2 months but we were on a mission not just out havin fun, so we went where most wouldnt normally go. Also the majority of fish we found would be upstream of brunswick to that next ramp whatever its called. There are some dandy fishin holes there if you can make it to them. The Lamine river wasnt nearly as productive and is/was overrun with silver carp. Although that railroad bridge right before the mouth of the river had a 55# flattie sittin there in the logjam for almost two years straight. Also the Lamine can be dangerous during high flows, I sunk one of our boats when I hit a stump that was just under the surface and completely knocked off the lower unit of our motor. I could go into alot more detail about the Grand River cuz i spent nearly ever day for two summers on that thing but i never fished it. It isnt easily navigable but I have seen a guy pull a 90# blue off a jugline a few miles above brunswick.

I'll get the MO River here in a lil bit, Im gonna try and email the guy whos project this is and see if I cant get some good stuff that yall might find interesting.

13. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome aboard,
    Sounds like you have alot of knowledge to share...was this work done for the MDC? Would like to hear more details about the study.
    Post some pictures of the boat when ya get a chance....i cant get enough of cattin boats and how everyone sets theirs up.

14. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the USCA site ShowmeWhiskers. Sounds like you have spent some time in some of the waters I frequent. In fact its been more then Two years ago, but my cousin caught a large Flathead on Rod/Reel with a transmitter in it on some of the water you mentioned. I will drop you a PM.
    again welcome aboard,
    DA