MO Fishing Regs for a Catfisherman

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Mr.T, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I know I said the other day that'd you never hear from me again regarding Missouri fishing regulations.

I lied.

It seems there's a never-ending slew of questions regarding what's legal and what isn't when chasing catfish in Missouri. And most of you know I've spent a lot of time (too much time, according to some of you) researching and trying to digest the somewhat complicated regulations that govern our sport, answering the same questions repeatedly here on the BOC.

In an attempt to provide a central reference point for current and future questions (and so I don't have to keep repeating the answers), I've developed a PDF document which summarizes many of the most-often asked about and/or misunderstood regulations, especially as they relate to all use catfishermen (and keyboard catfishermen). The answers are in the most "plain English" I could muster and hopefully they're clear and easy to understand.

So here it is; feel free to read, use and possibly benefit from it if you'd like, or ignore it completely if you'd like.

A Brief Summary of Missouri Fishing Laws Potentially Useful to a Catfisherman

Note that this document hasn't been sanctioned or reviewed by the State of Missouri, so it's not a "legal" document (i.e., don't print a copy and try use it as a defense when an MDC agent wants to write a ticket). But for every issue summarized in the document, there are references to the exact section(s) of the Wildlife Code that *can* be used as a legal defense should the need arise (and of course provided that your interpretation of the Code is correct).

Also note that the PDF file isn't hosted on the BOC servers but on my own web site - as changes or additions are made, the PDF will be updated on my web site, but you can always find the current version by clicking on the link above.

ammo warrior likes this.
  2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    One thing that I noticed that people may interepret wrong are the methods you list for legally taking fish. While all the methods are legal for non-game fish many are illegal for gamefish, and since catfish are considered gamefish in MO it may be worth wording this slightly diifferent so that someone does not get the idea that you can shoot catfish with a bow or speargun.

3. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Marty, Thank you for putting this together.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO

Good point.

I'll update the document to reflect those methods applicable to taking catfish only.

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thanks Marty. I've always been on your side in the Wildlife Code Wars. Thanks for putting together the document. Reps to you for that.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR

Copy that here___________________________________________________

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Good job Marty. :0a31:
    I thought there was a mesh size limit for cast nets?

8. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Marty.. We have needed something like that for a long time. Now it will be very easy for others that travel into our state to find various info without having to read the whole book. :big_smile:

9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Nope, only for seines. Surprised me too.

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Even though i'm not from MO,Thanks Marty for taking the time to put all that together. I'm sure that'll help MO fisherman out a whole lot! :big_smile:

11. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Marty, Why not submit that for review to your state wildlife agency. Let them know it's not for any type of official use, just a guide that would be used in very general terms on our site only, unless they see fit to make it official. If you do that, then nobody else will question your interpretation of the laws and regulations. And we could also give you a section to discuss Missouri state regs, if you'd like to have that. Apparently you are good with this and if you really enjoy it, let's make use of your abilities. Very well done and professional looking document. Thanks.

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks Marty. More reps to you!!

13. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Marty do You mind if I put up a link to this on My website?

14. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Sure - go ahead.

Just don't ask me to make a similar document for Kansas fishing regulations. :big_smile: If you think Missouri laws are convoluted, you should try to dig through the Kansas laws...:eek:oooh:

15. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Darn it that was My next question!

16. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO

How about making this thread sticky so it doesn't get lost in obscurity?

17. Whistler

State:
    TN
    That I can do. In fact it's done. LOL

18. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    I think marty has to much time on his hands.

19. Whistler

State:
    TN
  20. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO