MO boating laws

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by smhmc6, Jul 24, 2007.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have been doing a little reading on Missouri's boating laws. I will be heading back to school here in about a month, and I'd like to take my newly acquired boat along to help me "study":wink:. Am I reading it right that I have to take a boater's education class to operate it? Thanks for the help.

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Depends on your age. If your still in school I would say you do. I suppose you could be over that age an takin a long time to finish school. If thats the case, you might have trouble passing the boating test. LOL

Sorry, that was rude of me. Yes, there is a boating course you can take online. I cannot for the life of me remember the age cutoff that requires the test. My son took it and passed it. However, I was watching over his head and took the test in my mind. I won't say what my score was, but sure am glad I didn't have to take the test. lol

3. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I believe the cutoff is like Jan 1985 and after you have to take test.

4. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    Beginning January 1, 2005, every person born after January 1, 1984, who operates a vessel on Missouri lakes shall possess, on the vessel, a boating safety identification card issued by the Missouri State Water Patrol (along with a valid photo ID).

Missouri on line boating safety course and exam:

http://www.boat-ed.com/mo/index.htm

5. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There should be a test you have to pass to fish with Kutter anyhow! First question.
    Do you have the ability to laugh all night without falling out of the boat?

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Verbatim from Missouri Revised Statutes: (bold and underline by me)

306.127. 1. Beginning January 1, 2005, every person born after January 1, 1984, or as required pursuant to section 306.128, who* operates a vessel on the lakes of this state shall possess, on the vessel, a boating safety identification card issued by the Missouri state water patrol or its agent which shows that he or she has: blah, blah, blah...........

Doesn't this mean you can operate on the rivers of the state without this permit?

I think this needs investigated further.

7. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    You're right -- per the MSWP's website, it could be interpreted both ways. I was going to quote what I found that specifies where you have to have one if operating a motor vessel and then one to the contrary, but then I found this:

From http://www.mswp.dps.mo.gov/Education/2005EducationFAQs.htm#nocardneeded :
    "Is there any place where I do not need a boater education card to operate a vessel? Yes. The law currently excludes the rivers, streams and all private waters; however, we recommend taking a boater education course prior to operating any vessel on the water for your own safety."

WTF?:confused2:

That's like not requiring a driver's license as long as you're on the highway.

This explains all the morons who run the river at night without running lights. "huh huh, I didn't know I had to use them, huh huh"

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Ok Alex, I am assuming your 'answer' was found on an official site, plus it agrees with the actual text of the statute.

Therefore I can now let my 14 year old operate the motor while I pull the anchor that no one has the cohoneys to pull. Yippee, maybe I can get some help from my crew instead of me doing it ALL.:confused2:

9. Jnorman

Jnorman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I took the online course. Your supposed to take the class on their website and then take the test, but you can just take the test. But be warned, it's not an easy or short test! It took me an hour and a half to do. Mostly because I didn't know half the questions so I had to look them up.

10. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the response guys. Well, I wish the requirement was for January, 1985... that way I wouldn't have to take it. But the online test sounds great, I thought I was going to have to wait for the next class which could be who knows how long of a wait (or drive for the closest, soonest class). I'll have to check that online test out. That would be very convenient... besides a safety course probably is a good idea anyway.

Kutter, you are right... it seems like school has taken way to long:sad2:. I'll be 23 before I'm done, but I only have one semester left and will be finishing in 4.5 years which is quicker then most who get an engineering degree. Thanks again for the help guys.

11. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Please let us know the particulars when you learn them. It will be a bout a year and a half and my sons will be home. They will both need the test.

12. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well, I'm pretty sure everyone is right about the "born after Jan. 1, 1984." I did a little messing around with the link given in one of the posts and actually took the practice test. Don't know if I should be ashamed or not with the score I got (72%), but I haven't really even looked at the regulations. At the end of the test it did tell me I should go ahead and do the online coarse, haha. I would have to agree, that score was pretty lousy. From the little research I've done, the online class is free but the test itself is $15 (if my memory serves me right). So there is no harm in taking the coarse, only good as long as I can set aside the time for it.

From the practice test, most of it was common sense but there was a lot of terminology that I wasn't familiar with being a new boater. I'm sure that alot of what I got wrong had to to with definitions and also the marker bouyis. But I'm sure if someone has been around boats a lot, they wouldn't have much trouble with it at all. So I have a little studying to do, but I'm pretty confident that I'll pass the test in no time... and I'm really glad they do the online course and test because that is really convenient. I'm sure I'd have to spend more then $15 driving to the closest location anyway. Thanks again to all who helped out on this subject.

13. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I read and took the test and everything online. Go over the materials and then take the test so that if you do need to go back and look up an answer, you know where to look. Otherwise, it will take you a long time to take that thing because it's not just a walk in the park really.

14. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Seth, I agree. I have taken the practice test just to see where I stand... but after beginning to review the material, there is just a lot of information! I'll probably read through it thoroughly twice, then take the test. If I need to look up an answer I will. But hopefully I can remember enough to know the material. I feel like its stuff worth knowing and I'd rather not have to go back and look up answers... but if I have to I will, cause there is a ton of information in there.