Mnt Island Info

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Jman, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Jman

Jman Member

State:
    NC
    Next week I'd like to try my luck on Mnt Island Lake. I've never fished this lake altho I have crossed it on Hwy 16. Since thats the only access area I'm familar with thats where I plan to launch. I was hoping some of you would suggest some areas of the lake where some of you have had some luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm targeting primarily blues but love to catch anything. Thanks, Joel

2. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    The areas I've had luck in are the main channel in Latta Plantation just past Gar Creek on the opposite side of the small island. Also at night near Riverbend. From what I've heard , the Mc Dowell creek arm produces well as does the area near the steam plant discharge. Also , there is another access off of Neck Road which isn't nearly as crowded as Riverbend. Hope this helps , good luck!!

3. Bowyer

Bowyer New Member

State:
    NC
    Mt Island isn’t very big or deep. Please look at a map especially if you navigate above McDowell creek. That area has some wide shallow areas and you have to stay on one side. Look for the buoy markers and take it slow for the first time. These big shallow areas also make it easier to scout for cats in the hotter months because they will be lying in the adjacent channels.
    I just started fishing for cats this year at Mt Island and from what I have seen Mintaka is right on it. A lot of people go into McDowell creek to catch bait as well as the water discharge from the plant. The water discharge is a small creek that is located near the 16 ramp. When leaving the ramp stay to the left and you will see it about a quarter to a half a mile down. The water discharge area is a great place for bait in the cooler months. You can also catch bait fairly easy by just casting for Bream around the docks that have natural cover close by and trailing a sabiki rig. There is another Ramp on Neck Rd. You can go up river from there or down to the bigger water. It’s a good midway point. The lake isn’t very big which makes it easier. When I first tried fishing it like any lake I got a map and picked 5 areas that looked good on paper then drifted those areas first. You will probably be on fish before you make to your fourth or fifth spot. Most of the fish I have caught in the last two weeks have been in around 20 ft of water. When it air temp was in the mid 90 they were in the 20 to 30 ft range with a current. A lot of people go up river and fish the tailrace behind the dam. Once you past the train trestle go slow, stay to the left and be on the lookout for rocks under the surface. When they release water from the dam people will fish behind the Islands to get out of the current. Most people will agree that the lake can be persnickety so don’t get discouraged. Shrewboy and I had two great nights within a 48 hour period last week but that doesn’t mean the bigger fish will turn on the next day. One night will be great but next will be so slow it’s eerie.
    Disclaimer: If it sounds like I know something about catfishing I don’t. I realized this after after coming across this website. But the above info has worked for me and put me on cats.

4. Buckedup

Buckedup New Member

State:
    NC
    My advice about running the river is dont do it unless some shows you how. There are no channel markers just danger bouys. You can catch bait in either Gar or Mcdowell Creek. Looking at your map if you put in at the 16 bridge go to your left. That is upriver. follow the river till you see the Water intake, the next creek on the rt is Gar. You have to go all the way to the back to get bait, if it is there. If you keep going upriver you will see an island, stay to your right, water is very deep there and will see a big rock outcropping on your right. Bear to your left and keep going, the next creek on your rt is neck rd access. Try to stay in the middleish part of river after neck rd even though you will see docks on the rt bank. Go to the last house on your rt, it will be on the pt with the big AMERICAN FLAG, now you can safely get into mcdowell creek which is on your rt. You will find bait in the back to your left year round. There is a package plant up the creek that keeps them in there, use an old net if have one. Have a spare bucket as there is alot of debris back there. You are in prime time catfish territory from the mouth of Mcdowell all the way to Gar creek. When you come out of mcdowell and look down river, I call that the chute. If they are runnin water you are almost best to anchor up on adrop or end of shoal, 1 is clearly marked in front of you coming out of the creek. Channels will flat tear up punch bait and blues will eat brim,perch and shad. There are many old creeks that run into the main channel and subltle points that you will do yourself a favor and get some mam colas and a map and putz around someday. There bigggg fish here and you can have an all american moment at any time or you could cuss it for a month before you wack em again. Big fish this summer was 34# Flat. The lake is small enough that if they run enough water there will be some current throughtout the lake. Didnt mean to confuse you up too much.

5. Bowyer

Bowyer New Member

State:
    NC
    MIL is tuff to navigate with the natural obstacles but it also gets hit hard with juggers at night that you have to watch for. (I am not trying to start anything at all with that statement. I think juggers who legally take smaller fish out for consumption is a conservation effort in the right direction if not abused. I also realize that not all people jugging are the same). Anyone who spends nights at MIL knows it gets hit hard. I talked to a guy tonight at Gander Mtn. who you guys know that said he quit fishing MIL because of the juggers. There was a boat Sunday night jugging and drifting without any navigation lights on and no reflectors on the jugs. I got a planner board hung up in a jug before I knew it and lost the board. By the time I got the lines in and untangled and started to look for the board down river we were in jugs again. Now all of a sudden their lights come on. We couldn’t make out what they were saying. Since I had two young boys and a pocket of lead weights stacked in brass cases the only thing I could do was leave. So if any one finds a Churchill planer let me know. I would appreciate it.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....My advice about running the river is dont do it unless some shows you how...."

Good advice. The lake is easy to get around on as long as you stay out of the river section. Once you are past Latta Plantation you are rolling the dice if you have never been up there before. Not all the bad places are marked as well as you would think. Some places you have to run 10 feet off the bank to be in water deep enough to run through. :crazy:

7. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I would say they all have summed it up pretty good. Fish the main channels and nights go a little more shallow. Might take some bait with you bacause bait can be hard to find or catch at times. Some times the cat bite is on and other times they have lock jaw. I guess I've been very lucky this year hitting it at the right times this summer.

8. Jman

Jman Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks you guys for the great info. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Probably be the end of next week before I make it down there but after reading Robs report from last night maybe I shouldn't wait! Joel

9. Joe Tilghman

Joe Tilghman New Member

State:
    NC, Lake Norman
    Are there any maps available of this lake?

10. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    yea most the time look for a lake wylie map and mt. island will be on the flip side or included