MN/DNR Channel cat lakes that have been stocked

Discussion in 'MINNESOTA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Larry, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
  2. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    I don't know what the "original" question was. I worked for the Iowa DNR at a fish hatchery for a few summers raising and stocking fish. Most states restock channel catfish or other species, but only in lakes that are typically overfished or where the lake doesn't have the "right" environment for the channel catfish or other specie to reproduce. As that article says they are usually stocked as fingerlings or fry, not as adults. It depends on how long the hatcheries want to hold onto them, all our fish were released as fry so we could get other fish going in the ponds.

This particular hatchery (where I worked a few summers) is the Fairport Fish Hatchery and River Monitoring station. Fairport raised walleye, muskie, bass, bluegill, grass carp. Rathbun raised Iowa's catfish. Fairport is responsible for stocking all of Iowa's farmponds (bass, bluegill, and channels are brought from Rahtbun) with a staff of only a few people (Iowa DNR is underfunded). Ponds are stocked for free by Iowa as long as they meet a few simple qualifications (fenced away from livestock with a buffer, free from fish, at least 8' deep in one spot, and at least appx. a 1/2 acre) and people can just call the local warden/conservation officer to come out inspect the pond and send in the recommendation.

3. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Sounds like it was interesting position to work in Ron.
    I put this post in for another guy up in Minnesota who was wondering what was available for local water to be fished in the twin cities metro area.
    thanks for sharing info.
    Larry

4. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Thanks Larry for the info!