MLK weekend fisherman?

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by bluehunter, Jan 14, 2009.

1. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Anybody planning on fishing this weekend? Its a 3 day weekend for a lot of people. Saturday I will be fishing the Irvine tournament and Sunday will be heading down to Otay with a friend. Wish me luck on the trout and catfish. Its time to put it down out there. Will post reports upon completion of weekend festivities.:wink:

2. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Good luck on the fishing trips. We'll be waiting for the report. Don't know if I will go out again or not this weekend. I should since it is a 3-day weekend and supposed to be nice weather. We'll see what happens. If I go I'll give a report good, bad, or otherwise.

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thats right......yeepee!!!! Good luck in the tourney Blue:wink: I be fishing the slough again sometime them days:cool2:

4. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Not sure yet, Brian, but I may go with my nephew to the Palo Verde area and give the drain a shot.
    Seems Beau (my nephew) got himself a brand new Marlin 917 and he wants to see if it will kill rabbits before the season closes at the end of this month.

5. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    If you go Tom good luck. Hunting is a good hobby. One of my new hobbies is going to be hunting. I need to get my hunters license. I may go after a wild boar with some buddies that do that ever year. Hunting is something I always wanted to do just could not get away from fishing enough. But I am broadening my horizons now and is trying out new things. You only live once in this current life. Believe it or not one of my old hobbies was to surf. LOl. I still have my surfing board but its been years since I used it. Not since I was at Cal State Long Beach. I might take it back out there since Marina Del Rey beach is only 7 miles away from me. LOL.

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I think that I may fine myself on the shore line of the Calif. Delta on Friday.
    :0a32:

7. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    GOOD LUCK, Brian.

8. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Yeah Brian, I enjoy a little hunting now and then. I can't do it as much as I used too due to the injury I suffered while on a quail hunting trip to AZ. a couple of years ago. sure cut down on my ability to get out and actively chase game. Now I have to pick a spot and wait it out.
    Here's a tip for you, go down to Turners there on Hawthorn and sign up for the Hunters Safety Course. You will probably have to go to Raahauge's in Norco to take it and it's a 10 hour course.
    If you do not have a prior hunting lic. California requires you to have the certificate before they will issue you a new hunting lic. They no longer accept military training as a substitute. Do this before you schedule a hunting trip as they do not always have immediate openings for the class.
    Believe it or not I used to surf also many years ago, I had a 9'4'' Harbor surfboard made in Seal Beach. That was before the advent of short boards. I also at one time worked as a lifeguard for L.A. Co.
    Man, was I ever really that young and healthy?

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thanks for the tips Tom I will look into that. Speaking of young and healthy, I am seeing how out of condition I am now. I use to be cut and into weighht training. I am slowly but surely getting back into shape though at 24hr fitness. But far from my yrs in the 20's :eek:oooh:

10. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Dude! I did some surfing when I was in the USAF assigned in Hawaii.

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    hey, gotta chip in here now. i've surfed. well kinda i guess. had the long board and hit the waves anyhow. they were all the way up to maybe 3 ft. LOL. was in nam though at china beach.
    gary

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    :smile2: Good deal guys. The only reason why I tried surfing way back in 1994 was because of a statement and a bet a female friend made to me. "Brothers don't surf." LOL. Being the fool I am, I said what? Watch me! I signed up for a surfing class they had at Cal State Long Beach. Paid 600 dollars for a custom made surf board that said Soul brother on it. LOL.Took the class for the whole semester as a P.E. class that meet in Huntington Beach and sometimes Newport Beach, and boy was it fun! I got all kinds of looks out there but.:smile2: Needless to say she lost the bet but I still surfed a few times after the class even just to do something different and adventurous. Even seen a few brothers a time or two. LOL. Sucks stepping on sting rays out there though. LOL

13. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Live at the vine yall. Fishing pretty decent, not exactly wide open. Trout are biting on crawlers but mainly rats. No signs of loids yet but hopefully some will be landed in this area. Im using pb now so hopefully i can land something decent before my limit. Other than that its pretty pack and im just peeping out the internet on my phone. Hopefully i can get something decent giving others the flu. Lol. Will post again if anythings good otherwise will post upon the completion of my mlk fishing weekend. Otay tomorrow. Later.

14. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I had a good time at the Vine today. Fished the tourament plus participated in a group event. I must say it was pretty cool. Lots and lots of stuff was giving out. Also lots of stuff was given out at the Irvine tournament raffle too. Quite impressive. Saw quite a few people I have not seen in a while. Good to see you Hakaveli, Kewlwhip, Santa Fe, Omar, and trout Nine. Most definitely good to see Terry and Chris as well at the event. Nice hanging with you guys for a little while. People where pleased to see me which was cool. Its always good knowing that you have people out there that appreciate what you do and share with them on the forums. Thanks for the mad love peoples!

As far as how the bite went, nothing much more than what I posted earlier. The bite slowed down even bigger after I did the live report but I was still able to squeeze a little more. A lot of people did not do near as well, some did way better. The mad bite was in the flats but it was like a circus out there in the boats. I figured it would be and I fished the bank instead. I met up with old school mentors Elaine and also Phil - They helped to teach me the ropes when I was a late teen. I credit Elaine and Chuck with introducing me to catfishing at a trophy level. I known Phil since way back when too. Always good going back and seeing the old school. They put a whipping on the trout and did well but nothing big. As a matter of fact I believe maybe only a few really big ones were landed today. Soon as I get the results I will post it. Trolling has been the ticket to a lot of the nice dd size trout at the Vine as of the last few weeks so that may be something you wan to look into if you plan to go.

I came up with one more rat today and that was it. I had to work for it as it was slow for everybody but I pulled out the ropes with the crawlers doused with some home made garlic butter. Something somebody taught me. There were so many lines in the water. Whenever there is a situation like that you always want to add scent to your bait to make yours stand out from the rest to the fish. Lots of times that can be the difference in getting bit or not. It worked. The powerbait was a no go today for me. But funny thing is I heard on the back side of trout Island, all they wanted was power bait. That tells ya something.
    Here are a few pics. I am venturing out for some catfish tomorrow at the Ty so wish me luck there. Plus I hear that maybe rains coming in next weekend so I may venture back and make it rain on them again giving them the flu. LOl. If alls good with tomorrows fishing I will put together a MLK weekend slide show and cap it off with the MLK day parade. Peaces yall.

B

Attached Files:

15. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I was plannin on fishin Sat, but had to work. Maybe Sun, not sure yet, probably have work Mon. I would rather fish, but need the money. A guy I fish with aint' got his license yet, so maybe next Sat. If not at a lake, then at the harbor.

16. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Well fellows - I got out to the Calif. Delta (Lodi Area) on Friday (1/16/09) - I got Good News & Bad News:

The bad news is that "I Got Skunked" - only 2 small bites all day. :sad2:

The good news is that " I got my 2009 Fishing License" on that trip. :smile2:
    (So now I'm Ready):wink:

So I don't fill bad about the fishing trip out to the old "Honey Hole" because I know what kind of fish you can get out of there & how the fishing is up there later in the year.
    :0a23:

17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Out to Otay today with a buddie. Stopped at a Mexican food spot I always frequent when I fish SD and picked up some Steak Ranchero and some Jamaica(pronounced hamaica, I used to call it jamaica and they would laugh at me-:smile2:) and I was good to go for the morning.

We arrived at opening and went off to the spot. First thing at the spot I was able to pick up a few gills small size, but the cats were not awakened yet. We bounced around to a few spots and still were not able to get any cats. There were a few other cat boats in Harvey Arm and also Otay arm but all we could see was that they were bouncing too trying to locate the cats. One of them was the big cat slayer for Otay lake.

Finally in the evening after movong around a few times we went back to the first spot and the gills and catfish started to venture out and chew. Had a few runs and one that became stuck in structure. But we were able to pull out a few decent channels at 5 and 7 pounds. Bonita was the lick for them. Also pulled off one fat gill and a crappie as well at the zone.

Overall it was a slow day out there and we had to work for the fish there. Weather was very pleasant. Water was very cool and the cats just are not into the right feeding conditions yet at Otay. This is really a spring lake and the blues start showing in better numbers around late Feb and early March there. Unless there is a rain storm there than its a different story. Rain supposively next weekend so that is a prime time to roll for Sunday if it holds up.

On the way back home we stopped at an old school soul food spot I frequent in San Diego and I picked up some beef rib tips, collard greens, and, mac and cheese. Dev had the beef short ribs, mac and cheese, and yams. This is the spot I always roll to in Sd on the way home a lot.

Here are a few pics to show and I am working on a slide video to post later with more pics and food as well as a few pics of the parade for tomorrow.

Attached Files:

18. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "Way To Good Blue" - "Good Job"!
    :0a23:
    &
    I'll be over for some of those "Beef Rib Tips", "Collard Greens", and, "Mac and Cheese "a little later.
    :wink:LoL

19. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele

Wait until you see the pics. lol. I have it now just waiting on to add some pics of todays festivities. Will get it on this eve with some lalah hathaway loves Holiday in the background since it is MLK weekend and he wanted to spread the love to everybody so that we could all fish together and get along. That is what its all about.

20. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Here is the vid to cap off an eventful weekend to say teh less. Hope you like it. Iam getting a little better. LOl. Can not wait until the flathead and big blue season appears it will be great. :smile2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWbpBJxpU7U