Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading, and alot of people I see on here say that channels and flatheads usually dont mix together... Now is this true?? Because what i was thinkin makes no sense was they both like the same type of areas right??? Or maybe im wrong.. But dont all catfish like and share bridge pilons, log jams, and etc.. Any replies would be great guys, thanks!

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
I've caught channels and flats in the same hole.now if your fishing a hole with a 40 or 50 pounder the chances of small channels being around are less.i've caught bream around a log,turn around and catch a 20 pounder where i just cayght the bream.so yes they will mix.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've caught channels and flats in the same hole.now if your fishing a hole with a 40 or 50 pounder the chances of small channels being around are less.i've caught bream around a log,turn around and catch a 20 pounder where i just cayght the bream.so yes they will mix.
thanks man... i thought they would almost have to hang around eachother sumwhat.. unless theres a real biggin hangin round...

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
You will find the channel cats around a big flattie more during the day than at night because the flattie is holed up until night fall then they will leave for a bit to allow the flattie to leave his home and begin the journey to his feeding grounds....

Think about it.. if you and your freinds are hanging out eating and a couple of your freinds end up getting eatin at these certain spots around night fall you will forage there during the day and get the hell out of dodge before the monster comes out, and maybe come back later while he's not home.

Im not saying you won't pick up a couple stray channel cats next to a flattie hole but the more mature channel cats know when to stay away.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
You will find the channel cats around a big flattie more during the day than at night because the flattie is holed up until night fall then they will leave for a bit to allow the flattie to leave his home and begin the journey to his feeding grounds....

Think about it.. if you and your freinds are hanging out eating and a couple of your freinds end up getting eatin at these certain spots around night fall you will forage there during the day and get the hell out of dodge before the monster comes out, and maybe come back later while he's not home.

Im not saying you won't pick up a couple stray channel cats next to a flattie hole but the more mature channel cats know when to stay away.
That's why when I'm flathead fishing and someone with us starts catching bullheads, I know it's time to leave. They'd have to be totally retarded to stay around when there's numbers of flathead in the area.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Early in the year you will find them together with other fish present also, by the end of a long summer you will find an empty hole except for a big old flattie, Hmmmmmmmm......... Where did all the carp,channels,and other fish go? Listen for the burp from that big flattie!
You all are overthinking things and giving fish too much credit for brains, THEIR FISH!! A big old flattie calls a hole home, and other fish may call the same hole home too,but sometimes there's a domestic dispute,and the little fish lose. I think thats one reason big flatties are easier to catch in the fall, they've cleaned out their food supply in their hole and must hunt more and further from home to find food, this puts them at a disadvantage to the thinking angler as a good bait tossed into their hole will be noticed and have no competition, plus you can target them at places along the areas they hunt and have a good chance of hooking up with them.

Love the advatar holding the carp,good live bait right there!!!

·
Registered
727 Posts
They definitely inhabit the same areas. The channels have a tendency to hover closer to the surface than flats during the say. The flats are almost always in cover during the day. At night I have found that the channels come in to shallow water and flats have a tendency to scan the bottom in about 6 feet of water or in the deeper holes. I caught a 14 inch channel catfish this year that had been attacked by a flathead. In this particular spot I have caught both channels and flats regularly in the same spots.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.