Mixed Nuts (hard shell)

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Netmanjack, Nov 25, 2007.

What is your favorite hard shell nut?

1. English walnut

2. Almond

3. Pecan

4. Hazel/Filbert

5. Brazil

6. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What nut is your favorite? I'll have to say that I enjoy them all with equal gusto. I do have one problem that has plagued me over the years. How in the heck do you get a Brazil nut out in one piece? :eek:oooh::crazy::smile2:

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Jack,
    I think you're nuts.:tounge_out::smile2:
    I didn't see Big "G" as a choice...He for sure is a nut!:roll_eyes::smile2:

As for the answer to the question, I like them all.:big_smile:

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Try one of these on them brazil nuts.:eek:oooh:

http://www.stupid.com/stat/HNCK.html

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jack, I voted other. Mainly 'cause I ain't got no teeth. Beer even hurts my mouth.

I do like Hickory nuts and Black walnuts. I cracked 4 quarts of hickory nuts and 2 quarts of walnuts last fall to bake with. Nancy doesn't like either of them so I give them away or bake with them and what I bake I give away.

Gonna make a black walnut cake tomorrow, with white ice frosting, sprinkled with black walnut chips. Probably have a little vanilla ice cream for anybody who wants to stop by.

If the nuts go sour I'll just give them to the guineas. John.

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    :shame:Beetle Man you told me you could'nt cook I knew you was fibbin .....Something told me the couch and no supper is to much and everyone has a couch

6. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    Sounds tasty beetle....you think a piece of that cake would make it to California in one piece?:smile2:
    Linz:wink:

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    MY WIFE!!!! or doesnt she count?

8. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Put me down for pecan, as long as they are in halfs and covering a pecan pie. MMMmmmm

9. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Lindsay, I'll send ya the whole cake. I'll even put it in the box right side up. You want two layers or a 9x12. The flat cake may travel better. I won't put any ice cream with it. That probably won't make it. John.

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    John, I think your are right BG is a nut, hard shell and all, but I'll bet he is all soft and gooey on the inside! lol

John, I sure would stop by if I could. You forgot my favorite nut of that ilk the Butternut. Ive spent many happy days with a hammer and nail gouging out nut meat! lol Brings back good memories.

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Hard shell nuts are just more proof that Adam & Eve really screwed up. Ya left out coconut...that will test yer stamina.

12. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    When I bought this place I live on in 1985 it had one Butternut (White Walnut) on it. It was dying, cut it down two years later for wood. There are not many if any left around here. Walnuts I got up the ying yang. Hickories , less of but a lot. Shellbark and Shagbark.

I hate cracking and picking them, but it is like therapy when you got something poking at your brain.

13. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have to go with other too. I didnt see creamy peanut butter on the list

14. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I picked "other" too. I love pistachio's.

15. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Hickory Nuts are my favorite, but haven't had any in many years. I finally had access to a huge tree this year, but with the drought, they were just dried up black inside. Even the squirrels were disappointed.

John,
    I researched buying Hickory Nuts last year, and they were 22.00 a pound. Can't remember if that was in or out of the shell, but still too high for my blood. Did yours do good this year? What size are they there? The largest ones I've ever seen were in FL.

Heck anytime you want to sell some at a reasonable price, just let me know! My Dad and brothers used to bring them back for me, when they went hunting. I have mashed many a finger with the hammer on those things. Mom gave me the old solid iron a few years back, that we cracked them on. I would turn it upside down, between my puny knees, and crack hickory nuts for hours. That iron could put a pinch or hurting on the legs, too, when you let it slip.

Ahhh, perhaps next year, the trees here will be more bountiful.

Take care.
    Cheryl

P.S. As for the ones out of the shell, my favorite is a Cashew.

16. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I like macadamia nuts and brazil nuts. I dont think its possible to get a brazil nut out of its shell in one piece unless you have alot of time on your hands and a hacksaw. Macadamia nuts are best in fresh baked cookies with white chocolate chunks. I never tried hickory nuts but I love hickory wood in my smoker. We have shagbark hickory round here. I even have one in my yard.

17. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Cheryl: A year ago I hulled and cracked #8-5 gallon buckets of Hickory nuts. The shellbark ones are here in the house yard. The Shagbark are out in the timber. The trees here are cyclic, i.e. every other year. That year was a tremendous crop and not very wormy.. I picked up what I did and the squirrels got as many more. The Shellark are smaller than the Shagbark, but they were pretty good sized.

We have a tree in the yard called a Hickan (hybred of hickory and pecan) it has started to come on the last three years. Huge shelled nuts about the size of walnut. Crack fairly easily and are sweet. There should be a fairly good crop this next fall. I could shoot squirrels out that tree anytime. They love them.

Walnuts are another story. I have more walnuts than Carter has little liver pills. Like the nut but don't like messing with the mess. Bushels and bushels of them go to waste every year.

I have a torched off piece of narrow gauge railroad track. I put it on a hunk of Maple cutting board 5 inches thick and about 3'X5'. I use a ball peen hammer. When my fingers start to get too bloody I hold the nuts with a pliers or forceps.

If the worms aren't too bad we should have a good crop next year, remind me if we are both still kicking and I get ya some.

John.

18. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just found out that cashews aren't really nuts, so I voted hazelnuts. Are macadamians (sp?) hardshell nuts? I like them too.

Walnuts...I'm getting ready to saw mine down because the mess is a nightmare, and it's in a portion of the yard where I don't need a tree. 'Coarse we have a squirrel infestation. Can't shoot 'em in town either. Nice fat squirrels. Fatter than you will ever see in the woods, but can't shoot 'em.

Used to eat hickory nut when I was little, but can't remember what they tase like. Gonna have to check them out next time they produce.

Hickory/pecan hybrid? Now THAT sounds interresting!!! I wanna try some. Maybe they have some up around Brunswick (pecan capital of Mo.) and I can try some. Thanks for the enlightenment beetlemania!

19. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Makes ya wonder what else Postbeetle is got cooking out the homestead don't it? Maybe some catbass out in the pond? Lil quineapoo? Turkeylopes?
    :roll_eyes:

20. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Low bush Chinquapin,American Chestnut and HICKORY NUTS!Ain't had a Hickory nut in 30 years,Chinquapin in 25 and a Chestnut in 12.I have missed them every year!I also remember scattering those pieces of hickory nut shell alongside a bed and hearing the scream as they was stepped on.I never thought of momma checking on my little brother when I put those shells beside his bed.Bad mistake.Very bad mistake!The only good thing was that I slept on my side.I would have been up the creek if I had slept on my back.

In Naples Florida,I learned how to climb a Palm,twist off a Coconut,shuck and crack it with out a thing but me!I then learned that tourist would pay a whole dollar to take pictures of me doing it.Soon the beach had no Coconuts on the trees and I was out of business.When the city realized what was going on and put a stop to it,it was too late.No coconuts!I was filthy rich.We kids were not breaking any laws.It was just that no one had thought of it before,and no one minded until they had no Coconuts for the tourist to see.I was making more money than my father was,while working 40-80 hours a week.

I also made good money catching Snakes.$1.00 a foot for Rattlers and $1.00 a piece for cottonmouths.The Ross Allen institute had pickup points around South Florida.We moved around a lot.I changed schools 10 times before I quit at 16 and went to Diesel Mech.school at Americas Georgia,and then went into the navy at 17.I sure learned a lot of different things from many folks moving around like that.

I had a job or way of making money all of my life until I got thrown away because my company heard my heart was only putting out 26%.They didn't know that I had had a heart attack in 1989 with damage and 33% output according to one of those doc's that worked for cash in Johnson City Tn.at the old hospital building.That kept it out my records.I talked to that good labor lawyer in Atlanta and kept on going for 13 more years.I was away from home and work and put the weakness off to losing weight which I was.I had bad knees so I always passed the cardiogram while quietly laying on the table while the others did the tread mill deal for the yearly physical.

I sniffed more oxygen than any 10 of these young bucks on here have glue in those 13 years.I figured my family would be better off if I died on the Job.26% & heart damage cooked my goose!The boss decided that I was too lazy when I couldn't hardly go.I felt like I was.Fought them for two years to work.Doc's had give me 90 days at most to croak.Still here after 5 with 2 1/2 years of cancer added on.

I think that me and God have some kind of deal going on here.He ain't bothered to let me know what it is yet.I guess he will get around to it if he figures it is any of my business.If I get better by the fall after next,I want to visit a fellow I know with some Hickory Nut Trees.I think he did say they was still a every other year Tree.I will have to bring me some RR iron and a hammer.I use to do real well with two rocks.I have busted a many a hickory nut with rocks off of that old 301 causeway across the Santee.

I ain't doing so bad since my grandson showed me this big ol "Enter" button,if I can remember to use it.I forgot to ask how to undo it!

I love you Brothers and sisters.peewee