Mixed bag... Black Drum and SheepHead

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by C_wernett, Dec 6, 2008.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, went to hit my trout spot first thing this morning, and it seems that bite is about done, only three fish in the first 20 min with one being a keeper. After a couple hours, moved on. Picked up some shrimp and headed to the jetty to see if I could pick up a few black drum, and maybe a red if luck was with me. Well, ended up with three black drum and kept three "filletable" (9-11 1/2")sheephead, even though the rocks are crawling with more little sheepies(5"-7") than you can shake a five pound bag of shrimp at!

Attached Files:

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hey, Nice catch,,All I've been doin' lately is talkin' about goin' fishin':embarassed:

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Pretty fish for sure. I am headed out with an Army Officer from Fort Stewart in January to try some shark fishing. He has been at me for years to go. Be my luck his boat will sink when we are out. :smile2:

4. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sounds like fun! I've got a buddy that's big into land based shark fishing and has hooked up with some beautiful sharks this year! I went with him once and caught my first land based shark, a 4-4 1/2' blacktip. I'm setting up for some bigger quarry this next year though, going to probably start off with a 6/0 wide spool and 50#-80# tackle...well, untill I get really smoked one time and have to upgrade to save my honor! lol

I was looking at getting back out to the rocks today, but with winds forecasted up to 25mph and temps in the 40's for the highs...I think I'll sit this one out....:wink:

5. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That's my problem, I start talkin' then I GOTTA go!!! If I can avoid the subject all together, I might make it through one free day...but fact is, it's butt cold outside, but sitting on here is going to make me go hit some local spots. I just know it!!!

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice mess of fish.

7. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks...after taking brisk walk to the car to get some gear to fix a couple of rods, I decided I'd rather not freeze my gonadulars off along the water somewhere today...next weekend looks unpredictable for fishing as I'll be in PA to pick up my wifes grandmother...hopefully I'll get back in time to catch something else and post back up for you guys.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You can sure find some cold,bad conditions to fish in off the Georgia coast in January.There should be plenty of 1-300 lb.and occasional larger Bull Sharks around the mouth of and up into the Altamaha.

9. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sounds like fun!!!!

10. tcain24

tcain24 New Member

State:
    Lumb., NC
    Where are you catching the sheephead at and are you using live shrimp?