MIX & MATCH WEIGHT RATINGS

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Oct 9, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I WENT TO OUR LOCAL PIER AND SAW A COUPLE GUYS FISHING FOR FLATHEADS.... BOTH WERE OPPOSITES WHEN IT CAME TO TACKLE......

THE ONE I TALKED TO HAD A HUGE ABU BAITCASTER WITH 130 LB PP AND A 11 FT 10-20 LB ROD

THE OTHER HAD A LIGHT 6-12LB 7 FT FAST ACTION ROD WITH 20 LB SPIDERWIRE......

THEY WERE IN TOWN FOR A VACATION TRIP AND THE GUY WITH THE LIGHTER SETUP SHOWED ME A VIDEO OF THE 12 LB STRPER HE CAUGHT AND WHEN EVER THE FISH SURGED HARD HE JUST POINTED THE TIP TO THE WATER.....

SOME PROBABLY SAW MY POST ABOUT LIGHT ROD HEAVY BRAID AND I KINDA SAW MY IDEA IN ACTION.......

SO DOES IT REALLY DEPEND ON THE FISHERMAN AND NOT THE TACKLE ( YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN )

IM STILL PONDERING MY IDEAS :smile2:

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    It really depends on the fisherman on what set up he/she choose to use.

3. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i don't think there is a right or wrong rod/reel to use i've seen so many combinations over the years i just use what feels good to me i've used 7-8 foot rods and spinning reels with 20 pound test for years and have had little problems but thats just me i'm sure many would laugh at that set up but its been working for me

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    It's all about the fisherman you have to know when th give and you have to know when to take, When fishing light tackle it's all about the set up and working the rod. You can not man handle a fish with a light setup thats when you know when to give and take.

Hope this helps and good luck

5. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Totally agree with Catman 100%.

Its all about finesse and fighting the good fight when your working with light tackle. Keep the drag light unless you can see him headed for a snag. Then tighten up and lean the rod to turn him, and once pointed away ease the drag again.

Catfish mostly are stubborn, so you might have to use reverse psychology on him, ie if you want him to go right, lean your rod left, and pull in the opposite direction.

Let him wear himself out, don't rush him. Once he's done he'll come up to the bank and you'll have earned that fish.

6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The fisherman needs to have the skill to keep pressure on the fish until the fish gets too tired to fight. This concept only works when your are fishing in calm and open water. If you are trying to pull a #40 cat out of a brush pile or over rip rap in a heavy river current from the bank, you need to juice up the equipment.

7. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    alton,
    Makes a Very Important point here! The situation that you are in will determine the type of gear that you use. Open water, lake or pond, you can use light tackle without many problems. Heavy current and tight quarters, you are better served by using Heavier tackle to move the fish when required. As a fisherman, you wnat to Enjoy the fight and WIN the percentage of the battles. When you are Under Gunned, you will have PROBLEMS much more often! JMHO!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    He could be using that rod to possibly toss Lures and Poppers. Can't really do that with a Heavy Broom Stick Rod. Plus we all know flatheads fight better than stripers.:wink: However he would be in trouble if tangled with a big enough striper in current.

9. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

thats why i posted this.......i was kinda confused with the opposite setups.....

both hate bass fishing and had a bucket full of gills so i dont thnk they do any bassin

their tackle box had 2-4 oz norolles and huge trebles 2/0 ( i thnk) but they were 2X the size of the #2 i use for striper fishing

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    maybe they were fishing with what they could afford. alton and hoppy4 are right different gear for different spots and tactics.

11. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    NOW THAT WE HAVE A BOAT I THINK WELL GET SOME HEAVIER SETUPS FOR TROLLING.......

IM LOOKING AT A 9 FT COMBO FROM OKUMA AND MABY SOME 50 LB BRAID OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.....

I WISH CAT FISH CONNECTION SOLD 50 LB FLURO:smile2:

12. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    well i'm gonna put a spin on this. herein delaware its catch and release for stripers from april to june(spawning season) so during that time we use extra heavy duty gear to horse them in quickly and release with as little harm as possible. once they head back down river and we can keep them you'll see a lot of lighter action rods.

13. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    I waited to get home before I replied to this, and here we go. My rod/reel/line setups are balanced for the type of fishing they're designed for. I have ultra-lites with 4# for crappie/trout. Bass rigs from 8-25#. A few heavier for cats. What I try to do is match the rod and reel for balance and spool it to put the line in the "envelope" the equipment is designed to handle. This makes it more comfortable to work with, get the best performance, and put less stress on the components. A good setup will provide a balance that allows a range of applications within that "envelope". Get outside of that, and while you can get the job done, you may be shortening the life of the equipment by making it work harder than it was built for. Just my .02.

14. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I go with what work and is comfortable. To each his own.