Mittry Lake Yuma AZ.

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by plumbertom1, Jun 8, 2007.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I have a short time connection to the web right now and wanted to post this while it lasts.
    Monday I got a wild hair for some Yuma fishing and contacted my buddy Joe. He said he was up to a road trip so we headed out about mid-day from his house in Riverside. On the way down the road I called Gary (tofish) to ask about bait shops 'cause the stores I stopped at here were out of Macs, but got his voice mail and left a message.
    We got to the river at Imperial Dam after sundown and drove around looking for access to some of the old places I used to fish when I lived in Yuma, But it apears as if most of the best fishing spots there have been blocked to drive up fishing and Both Joe and I have limited mobility so we drove over to Mittry to find shore access with parking close by.
    We parked at the launch ramp and decided to fish from that nice aluminum dock.
    While unloading our gear Gary returned my call from earlier, It turns uot he was out on the river fishing upstream from Martinez when I called But had to cut his trip short due to electrical problems on board.
    Gary kindly offered to meet us at Mittry in the AM and bring us a couple of macs he had in his freezer as he said they were not readily available in Yuma.
    So we set up and fished the night using crawlers dipped in Hog Wild original dip bait. Besides a continous bite by tiny cats at the dock I did land one channel about 4lbs. nothing else of any size seemed to bite.
    Just before sunrise the gills started popping next to the dock so I put on a small hook and harvested a little flathead bait.
    We drove into Yuma and had some eggs and coffee at Brownies cafe (seems to me the food was better there 30 years ago) and headed backout to Mittry, just before we got here Gary called and suggested we try an access spot close to the turn for Bettys kitchen so we set up there and fished. After a while Gary showed upand not only brought us some macs but also some blood bait and riggings to use it properly. He also hung around to dip his line and carry on a BS session with a couple of expert BSers.
    We continued to fish Mittry the rest of the day in a couple of different locations. The only other fish we landed was a 2lb cat caught at the barrier free access location.
    We spent the very windy night back at the access near Bettys kitchen as it was sheltered from most of the wind but we got no bites that we could tell due to the high wind.
    About 3:30am the wind died and the gnats came out in droves, Every time I dozed off I ended up inhaling one of them so I woke Joe and we loaded up our gear and headed for home.
    I can't thank Gary enough for his generosity and advice. It made the trip worth it to see him again and garner the insight he had to the local fishing. Thanks Gary, and I hope to see you againsoon.

2. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    sorry to hear about the sour fishing, i hope things look up for you, i dont know where you live now but i live in riverside, and its far place for us catfishermen to catch some good wild channels and flathead, i fished in havasue springs and parker all my life with my grandfather, he is going on 75 now so he no longer fishes there and thats a real bumber for me, i would love to go back there or even to the river somewhere to test the waters for flatheads, so if there is any time you want to go; i would be interested, other than that, happy fishing and good luck next time

3. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Well, Mikey, it's good that you joined the BOC. There are a few brothers in the inland area that run to the river regularly and even I go once in a while. Although I live in Canoga Park I am in Riverside frequently as I have a good friend that lives close to the collage in La Sierra.
    Right at this time my main focus is shifting from fresh water to salt as the bite for halibut, yellowtail and white sea bass picks up. I'll still be fishing the lakes closer to home but I have no Idea when the urge to hit the river will strike. I don't work so I mostly fish during the week to avoid the crowds. Don't pass up the local lakes like Parris, Skinner, Silverwood and DVL. Also the Aqueduct can be a good productive water once you learn how to fish it. You live within an hour or so drive of the San Diego lakes like San Vicente which produce Large Blues at times. Ask Bluehunter about that. He lives just north of you in Ontario.

4. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    ya i noticed how populer we are here in calif when it comes to fishing lol...interesting you talk about moving to the saltwater fishing, i have never been on a tuna boat or even fished out in the pacific, wish i had the money to go out there, where is this aqueduct? oh and i went to perris and didnt even get a nibble, i have a fear of that lake going down hill since i was a boy :sad2:

5. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Yeah, Perris can be a tough nut to crack. I've had my best shore fishing luck there in the area of Bernaconi (sp?) beach for cats at night. You have to park at the gate and walk in.
    The aqueduct is the water supply for Silverwood Lake as well as other lakes. It runs about 500 miles from the Sacramento River Delta to southern California across the west side of the Central Valley and the Mojave. You can fish almost any place along it but you have to walk a ways to fish very much of it. There are special fishing access areas along the Duct but they may not provide the best fishing. If you fish the duct use caution the sides are steep and slippery in places, not a good place for kids.
    I agree that the salt is expensive but it is more productive. I seldom have been skunked whether fishing from my own boat or a party boat.
    With the cost of fuel it's cheaper for me to ride the party boats than to take out my own. You can always take a 1/2 day or 3/4 day trip to save money but the better fishing is often at the Islands and to get any fishing time you need to take an overnight boat. If you have not been ocean fishing I recommend taking a 1/2 day trip to start because you may get seasick and they will not turn the boat around to take you back until the time is up.

6. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    do you think i would have some luck for flat head there:big_smile:

7. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    No flatheads in the aqueduct. Channel cats and striped bass are the target species. The only place in so. Ca. besides the river for flats is Irvine Lake. And I don't think they allow live bait there so the chances of catching one is pretty slim.
    Flat head fishing entails a trip to the river. Best area is between Blythe and Imperial Dam. There are FHs in most of the larger irrigation and drainage canals around Blythe and the Palo Verde area and the All American Canal that runs from Imperial Dam along the Mexican Border to El Centro. There are also large flats in the drainage canals around the Yuma Valley but they require an Az. fishing lic. Mittry Lake can be fished with a river stamp and does have FHs although channels are the more common catch there.