MITE BE A FAVORITE NEW FISH!!!!

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Jun 7, 2009.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    THESE LITTLE BUGGERS FIGHT LIKE :0a19: AND TO BOOT JUST ABOUT ANY SETUP WILL CATCH THE BULLGILLS:smile2:

(CAUGHT 7 BULL GILLS AND THEY TASTED SCRUMSHIOUS :roll_eyes:)

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNED ME AWAY FROM TARGETING THEM IS I THOUGHT WORMS WERE $5 FOR A DOSEN AND IT WAS THE ONLY BAIT FOR EM......

MAGOTS AND CRICKETS ARE THE 2 BEST BAITS HERE FOR EM AND I CAN HARVEST THEM EASILY :wink:

AS I SPEAK I HAVE CRICKETS HATCHING IN MY LITTLE BREEDING TANK AND A BIO TANK STUP FOR GETTING THE MAGGOTS

GONA SEE WHICH ONE IS EASIER TO MAINTAIN!!!!!

IF ANYONE WANTS TO SEE MY SETUPS IL GET PICTURES FOR YA !!!!!!!!!!!!!

LeRoy

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    heck yeah, I want to see some pics:wink:...i used to eat 'gills all the time when I was growing up. they are some good eating.

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    bluegill's are a great fighting fish get yourself a 4 foot ultralite pole and a little shimano spinning reel with 2# test for the hook's i use the gold egg hooks for trout and smash the barb down that way if i gut hook them you can still unhook the little guy's:wink:

4. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i agree gills can be alot of fun...at times i target just gills not for bait but just to have fun maybe a few to take home for dinner

5. NKYflattie

NKYflattie New Member

State:
    KY
    I just cleaned 37 yesterday that i caught at a farm pond. They are fun as can be to catch on ultralights and great to eat.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Leroy fishing for bluegill can be very rewarding, and exciting. All the things you mentioned in your post will catch a lot of bluegill. Several years ago a friend and I targeted bluegill with fly rods and imitation crickets and Nat's. We caught hundreds and had a ball. Once you get the equipment its not expensive after that.

7. bent_pole

bent_pole New Member

State:
    harrodsburg, kentucky
    I had never used an ultralite untill recently and didnt realize what i had been missing. I was catching some nice bluegill and was amazed at the action on the lite rod. I had just rebaited my hook using night crawler and made a cast. The bobber disappeared and i set a hook. I felt the fish go to the bottom and knew immediately that it was no bluegill. About that time he exploded to the surface, stood on his tail and did an Irish jig (lol), broke the 4 lb test line and waved goodbye to me. The fight didnt last long....but man what a thrill.

Guess what I am doing this week end:)

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    IF ANYONE WANTS TO SEE MY SETUPS IL GET PICTURES FOR YA !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LeRoy

Yeah man....we want to see the "PICS". I too really enjoy catching Bluegills on Ultra light tackle. I've been using mealworms and waxworms and would be interested in alternative( Cheaper Baits). These two are going for almost $4 each around here.:crazy:

9. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Store brand can of corn from your local grocery store. I have caught hundreds of them on corn. I guess its the color of it or maybe the oils in it. Im not sure but corn works great.

10. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'll tell you what else works good for blue gills..I've told this story before but anyways I was fishing with a buddy of mine catching bluegills and we used up all our worms so I was packing up to go..My buddy pulled the foil out of his pack of cigarettes and fold a piece into a lil square and put it on the hook and sure enough he continued to catch the bluegill..You can also use the foil from a pack of gum too..

11. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    Red ear shellcrackers will give you a great fight for their size & they taste a lot like crappie

12. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I agree! I love to get into a bed of them!! Soooo much fun!

13. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    the best bait ive used is a tiny red worm. you cast out without a bobber and let it sink to the bottom naturally when the line starts to twitch count to 3 and set the hook. good luck and hope this helps somebody.

14. Pendernator

Pendernator New Member

State:
    SE Missouri
    ya we love to eat them last saturday me and my dad caught 44 bluegill in an hour and a half in the headwater diversion channel.

15. Pendernator

Pendernator New Member

State:
    SE Missouri
    we used crickets. we always have our best luck on crickets

16. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I love to take my son to fish for gills we both have a great time and I get bait also.

17. Carl

Carl New Member

State:
    WV
    I think thats why I like catfishing so much, its as much fun catching the bait as it is to catfish.
    I always had good luck catching bluegills with mealworms, never tried the corn, next time I go I'll take some.

18. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Nothing like mill worms an the grandson helping catch blue gills.