Mitchell Riptide

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kscathunter, Dec 9, 2005.

1. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Has anyone tried these rather large reels out? I seen them on cabela's web site on sale and thought I'd ask about them.

2. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    kscathunter, as you are probably aware, there are several different varities of the Mitchell Riptide (including some spinning reels).

I looked on the Cabela's site to see which one you are talking. That looks like a nice reel. I have a Mitchell Riptide 70C. It is a baitcaster, comparable in size to maybe a Penn 209. It doesn't have a level wind though. It is a great reel. I've caught 1 (maybe 2) 50+ lb Blues on it this year. I will say that I don't like it quite as much as the 209 but it is a very good reel nonetheless.

I can't really speak of the 4/0 or 6/0 riptides. They look impressive and probably perform better than my 70C.

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Yea those were the reels that I was refering to the 4/0 and 6/0. Sorry didn't know their was more with that name. I liked my penn to but the low gear ratio was too mutch when making alot of casts. I probally wont ever get one of these (might be to big if their is sutch a thing), but who knows when that tackle buyin bug will bite. I might recomend this to a friend whos been looking for a large reel to sit and wait with LARGE bait for LARGE fish, if the boc thinks its quality.

4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Kscathunter, I have one of the spincast mitchell saltwater h2o combos. It is a nice reel and pole. I might try and get one of the baitcaster combos they have.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a friend who bought one of those big riptides..He does not like it at all..He told me he cant cast it much further than 20 yds...But it would be OK for a trolling reel, or boat use.

6. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    My buddy bought one of the riptides i think its the 4/0 or osmthing like that,he dont like his either,it dont cast worth a dern,but like you said it would mak eand excellent trolling reel,which is prolly what its made for anyway.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    2 ball bearing,saltwater rated trolling reels rated for 550 yds./38 lb.test line.# 1 was taken to B.P. and spooled with 240 yds.of their 50 lb.mono.I mounted it on a "Daiwa Beefstick Model No.BF-EB 701MHR 7MH 1-5oz. 15-50# Boat Rod."#2,I spooled with 210 yds. 60 lb.mono bulk that I had on hand.I mounted it on a "Eagle Claw Ozark Snaggler Model OBS 404H 6 ft.6in.Snaggin Rod byWright & Mc Gill Co. Line Size 40-80 lbs." These reels are limited aprox.1/4 in.on the amount of line that they will hold,by the level wind,line guide that protrudes down toward the spool.They were bought and riged to (boat fish) the log jams and all other deeply submerged structure that we can find on a depth finder,from tidewater to 50+ miles inland.In tidewater,you are subject to large Bull Sharks,along with the cats.I learned the hard way.I will try to let you know how they work,if and when we get to use them.I am having a very hard time controlling my body with my mind.It just wants to do its on thing,so I am unable to go most of the times that I am invited.I have been doing my best to write this since the first thread.I just have to do some things a little at a time,as I just get lost at it.My life is realy weird now days.peewee- williams