Mitchell Lake Report - Personal Best Channel Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by Catfish Dave, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Catfish Dave

Catfish Dave New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I went out fishing on Mitchell Pits again tonight.

I had three 10"-12" live sucker minnows and some frozen 7"-8" baits.

The wind was good so I was able to get nearly full south to north drifts. After my first three drifts I'd caught a ~2lb and a ~6lb fish on my frozen baits.

As the sun was setting I decided to anchor up next to some structure and make another serious attempt at a flathead. I set up my two rods with the big live suckers. After about 45 minutes at my first spot I hadn't had a single hit so I decided to try one more spot before I left for home.

For some reason I put my rod with a non-clicker reel behind me when I set up at the second spot. After about 15 minutes my kayak suddenly started to tip. Umm... that was my non-clicker rod tipping my kayak over.

I grabbed the rod and set the hook. This was a 12" bait, I knew it had to be a decent fish. I got it to the surface pretty quick before I think the fish knew it was hooked, I made a weak attempt to grab at it and it slammed water in my face. Now the fight was suddenly on. After another five minutes I hauled it in over the side of the kayak.

I have a craptastic non-digital scale with a built-in measuring tape. The tape measure only comes out about 34" and the fish was slightly bigger than that. The scale showed about 17.5lbs. The conditions for weighing and measuring this fish were less than perfect though, I was on a kayak in the dark trying to measure/weigh this monster. I'm pretty confident it was between 17 and 18 pounds.

I released it alive of course.

It was a very nice fish.

Thanks for listening.

Dave.

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    That is one hell of a channel cat! Congrats bro!

3. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Nice fish! Congrats!

4. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    I checked by little length vs weight chart and it says 34" = 17-18 pounds

Berkley has a digi scale that I paid between 15 and 20 bucks for, it's 50 pounds, lets you record 8 or 9 fish in memory, and then gives you an average and total weight of your catch ... I judge my trips not by how many I catch but by my average and total weight

I still have one of the ones you have, probably says Zebco on the side ... Mine is from the late 70's and I keep it around because from the late 70's until about 2005 it weighed a lot of fish for me and it's like a good luck charm

5. Catfish Dave

Catfish Dave New Member

State:
    Iowa
    On Sunday afternoon I lost about a 15lb channel at the boat. I actually got my hands on it three or four times before it got off so I got a very good look at it.

I also landed two other fish at about 3lb and 6lb respectively.

The 6lber that I caught had a strange disease. When I landed it noticed bumps all over most of it's body. By the time I got it off the hook all of the bumps that had come into contact with my legs had burst into little red (kinda bloody looking) spots.

Anyone ever seen anything like that on a catfish?

Dave.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dave congrats on the PB channel. Welcome to the BOC.

7. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Only on a couple of channel cats, mostly it's been showing up on bluegills .... I contacted the DNR about it and they had me bring a couple of samples for them to test but I never heard back from them about the results ,,,, They thought is was some sort of parasite from my description

8. catin38

catin38 New Member

State:
    alabama