Mitchell 300 spinning reel

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by winston61, Apr 17, 2007.

1. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I just picked up a Mitchell 300 spinning reel. It's is good condition except for being filthy and needing a few parts. Does anyone have any experience with taking these reels apart and re-assembly? I'm not afraid to take apart my Penn and Abu, but I have never tinkered with a spinner. Thanks to all.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    They are relatively easy to take apart.Remove the sideplate screws and the innards are revealed.Just make sure you note how all those gears go together.:big_smile: :lol: WHISTLER probably has the biggest collection of them along with lots of parts.I didn't say he would part with them though.:big_smile: :smile2: :eek:oooh:

3. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
  4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Bryan, I got some old Mitchell pieces in the junk reel box.
    At one point I had alot. People would bring those dang 300's to me with those dang broken bail springs and I would convince them to buy a new reel.:lol:
    Or it seemed like anytime someone found a reel or bought a reel cheap at a yardsale, or even was digging dirt out of a cellar it was always a Mitchell 300 they found. They must have made billions of those animals and I was the lucky reel repairman that was supposed to make miracles happen on a .10 cent budget.:lol:

5. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I'm still fishing with one I got in 1959. I have about 8-10 of them now and they really bring back memories......