mitchell 300 fishing reel.

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by stoney53, Jul 21, 2008.

1. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i have an old mitchell 300 getting real noisy sounds like gears to me worth rebuilding? if so where can i find parts? maybe i should just abandon this old reel and look for something else any suggestions? haven't really used it for the cats much but has been used for pike trout etc thanks for any help

2. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    maybe take the side cap off and put a gob of grease on the gears :big_smile: :cool2:

3. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Make sure it isn't just a dirty reel you are hearing. I have cleaned some amazing stuff out of my 300's.. If you need to replace some stuff, you can find parts for them (and a bunch of other reels) here...

http://anglerspartscan.com/catalog/

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I bought a new model 300 a few years ago and it fell apart on small channels under 8 pounds. I threw it away.

5. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    are definitely worth rebuilding. Parts are still available. Get a schematic drawing and some basic tools. The 300s are very basic and simple to repair. You will need to keep up with shims, but that aint tough. The thing I find most shocking is how many people will open a reel and pack it full of axle grease. BAD idea. Get it good and clean, re-lube and be stingy with the lube. Just enough oil and grease is plenty. A well maintained 300 is a joy to use, but not for big cats.

6. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Welcome to BOC Frank, If you have the old 300 it is worth saving. It may just need a good cleaning and fresh reel lube applied, with a little oil. Just so you know, if you don't already the old reels always make a clicking sound when not in free spool. As for parts you can also find them on ebay.

7. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
  8. stoney53

State:
    PA
    thanks much whistler very helpful gonna try to get that reel working quiet again

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    DON'T listen to Bryan he collects old Mitchells so what does he know:eek:oooh::smile2:.No sir you just box up that old 300 and send it right along to me.I love noisy reels,they keep me awake.That old Mitchell is just junk but tell you what I'll pay postage for you to get rid of it.Cant beat that offer!!!!!!!!:wink::roll_eyes:I've siad it before but I think the 300 is the sexiest spinning reel design ever.Its an instant classic like the Boeing 707 and the P-51 Mustang etc.Nothing I have seen since I bought my first on in the 50s has ever approached it as far as looks and functionality.It has been surpassed by better technology but never in the hearts and minds of owners.The 308 was even better as far as looks and design and it led the ultra light rage of the 60s.Some say they werent made to handle big fish but I have caught stripers and catfish up to 20lbs without any problems.I have mostly retired my Mitchells now but still have several I'm saving for Bryan or some other collector.:wink::smile2::eek:oooh:

10. stoney53

State:
    PA
    thanks for all the info guys did get the old mitchell quiet again a shim under the pinion gear and a good cleaning did it maybe good for another 20 years:big_smile:

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    When it came out, the 300 was the best spinning reel made. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the spool rotated backward on the lefthanded models. I've got several 300s, one or two 308s, and a couple of the big saltwater models. (Can't remember the model number, and I'm too lazy to go out to the shop and look.)

12. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I had a Mitchell 300 when I first started fishing. I was 10, and my Dad gave it to me. It had been his, and the reel was probably 20 years old when I got it. I used it for the next 15 years (and kids, as I'm sure you know, can be tough on equipment), and never had a problem that a little cleaning didn't fix. That's 35 years of use out of one reel... how many other reels last that long?

It was crushed by a car at a boat ramp one day. It was my fault. It hurt pretty bad. I owned several other spinning reels over the next few years, none of which were as good to me.

I found one at a garage sale a few years ago. It's about the same age as my old one, and still going strong. I absolutely love that big tank of a reel. Solid and dependable, albeit a little noisy. It has handled plenty of fish, and will handle plenty more. My advice to anyone: If you find one somewhere, man, get it. Get three. They are worth the five bucks you'll throw down at a garage sale.

13. katcaller

katcaller New Member

State:
    in
    Bryan! Jim is just fishing for a reel deal, I, I am not that way, I have been using 300's since my uncle brought me one from France in 1960, I still have it and it works fine. I have about 25 and they would welcome a new member to the family. I, being the honest, up standing fisherman that I am would pay for the shipping if you just send it to me instead, sorry Jim, just could not let this one pass by.:wink: By-The-Way, if you need a schematic for your reel, I can email you one. Earl

14. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have over 100 of the old French made Mitchells and love them to death! :cool2: I put them to use often and will continue to use them till my time on earth is done! :wink: