mitchel fishing reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by armyfisher, Oct 16, 2008.

1. armyfisher

armyfisher Member

State:
    georgia
    i just picked up a mitchel 300xe reel it seems to keep up with whatever is thrown its way has anyone ever used this reel and if so how'd ya like it?

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I have a bunch of the older Mitchell reels. I mean 300's and so on from back in the 50's, 60's and that timeframe. They sure are very good reels. Don't know much about the newer ones.

3. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    have never used one,nut heard some of them are good.

4. phlatheadphatty

phlatheadphatty New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I got a flea market Garcia Mitchell 306 , put it on a 6'6" bps power plus heavy 1 piece , 25 # Ande Tight Line . Its in my top two cat rigs behind my 10' Nite Stik . Tough reel , the gear set looks like it's out of a winch , but I wish I knew how to disable the clicker . I feel like I am sending evacuation morse code to the fish when I reel in for a bait check or recast . No monster hook ups but have retrived some serious lumber .

5. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I used to have a two 300x's, they were good reels, but I ended up stripping them within in year and a half. I haven't tried the xe's but I bet they'll be alright. Smooth reels.

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    That clicker on the 306 is built into the anti-reverse. Only way I know of to disable it is to turn off the anti-reverse. I have 5 or 6 306's and it doesn't bother me. And I cast far enough away from my boat that it's not enough noise to bother the fish. They are very good reels.

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I was about to write the same thing,I had a old 300 form way back and it was a nice spinner.

8. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    I've got 2 Mitchell 300's. 2 Mitchell 301's which are the right-hand retrieve models. Heck i've got 1 Mitchell 308 U/L and 3 Mitchell 309 U/L's (RHR).
    I swear by them.
    One of the 300's I acquired in the late 70's. It was ten or fifteen years old when I bought it. That reel is STILL going strong.
    I've caught a few cats weighing in the 15# to 25# range and have never had a problem.

9. reelworks

reelworks New Member

State:
    NJ
    The 300X reels are a high speed retrieve. If I recall, their 6.1:1 ratio reels with a strange spool system. They would make a good plugging reel.
    They're not bad as far as quality a Chinese reels go, and have 5 bearings. They are a lot lighter than the original 300 and really have nothing in common with the older reel other than name.
    I always thought that the 300X could stand a beefier handle but in reality, the reel should only be there to take up line, not to winch in a fish.

I've got a few older Mitchell reels, they are all rock solid reels but a bit dated by today's standards for the most part and pretty heavy. they were pretty indestructible though.

10. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I've used lots of the newer Mitchell reels and I haven't had any problems with any of them. Copperheads (not made anymore), Avocets, Avocet II's, Full Runner's (a bait runner that's also not made anymore). They are VERY smooth reels, with good, smooth drags, and the price is right on them too. When I'm shopping for spinning reels, I always look at Mitchell's offerings. I think that Shimano and Daiwa is probably the top for spinning reels now, then after that, it's a toss up between Quantum, Abu, and Mitchell for me. (Yes, if we're talking saltwater or BIG reels, then toss in Penn and Van Staal.)

Granted, other than the Full Runner's, I didn't use them to target catfish, so I don't know how they'd hold up to a 30lb blue....

I did catch a couple of 20lb channel cats on the Full Runner's with 17lb line, and tons of channels up to almost 20lbs and they gave me 110% performance. I've caught channels up to 10lbs on a smaller Avocet with 20lb Fireline Crystal and it's held up superbly too.

My dad has several old 300's from the 60's that he still uses to this day. Those things are tanks. The gearing on those things is heavy duty. I really don't think that you can hurt one of them. Two of the reels he uses were in a fire, and other than having to get new spools and handles for them, you can't even tell they were burned. This is one of the products that you can definitely say "they don't make them like they used to."

11. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    The older mitchells were great, but i bought two of the new 300xe's at the begining of last year that in less then a month the bails broke on both of them , so other than the old mitchells I would not even look at them agian. I was really dissapointed with them because they were all that me, my father, and both of my grandfathers had ever used. They have realy lowered their quality.

12. reelworks

reelworks New Member

State:
    NJ
    Something to keep in mind is that Mitchell reels is part of Pure Fishing, the same company that sells Abu Garcia, so they do still offer parts, and the quality shouldn't be too bad over all.
    I've seen a few handle knobs break off on the 300X reels, and the one problem I saw there was that the new handle costs $20 plus shipping. Nearly as much as the reel cost in Wally world in the first place. (I think I paid $24.99 for the one I have here about two years ago).

The handle snapped off last week, the reel hasn't seen much use. The screw that holds the handle on is pretty small where it threads into the handle. I may just retap it and retro fit another knob on it. I won't spend $20 on a $24 reel. Performance wise, when it comes to speed and smoothness its great.
    They would probably warranty the reel but it would cost me half as much as I paid for it just to ship it back.

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I used to have a Mitchel 302 salt water spinning reel and that thing was awesome. I caught many good stripers and cats on it.:wink: