Mistakes, or Stupids?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Patmansc, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Since I haven't been fishing for a while and have nothing to report along those lines, I thought that I would take a moment to offer something for your consideration and feedback. As a therapist, for many years I listened to people who would complain to me about "mistakes" that they had made - things that they had done (very often more than once) that in retrospect appeared to be, simply stated, pretty stupid (IMHO). So at some point I came up with a way for people to take a more realistic look at the decisions that they had made. I would explain to them them that a mistake was basically an error in judgement - that they had made a decision with the best of intentions but perhaps that they had overlooked something or decided without having enough good information. However, a stupid was a decision made with the knowledge that there was a pretty good chance that something might go wrong, or even knowing that most likely something was definitely going to get screwed up, but that they would deal with it later. Then, after explaining the difference, I would ask them if what they had done was a mistake, or a stupid. I can't even guess how many times people would smile at me and say "I guess it was a stupid, wasn't it?". So what do you guys think - is there a difference, and does it matter to know the difference?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If thats the case, why is there such a thing as a "stupid mistake"?

3. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    big difference between the 2. What you call a stupid usually ends up getting you in much more trouble, as well as having a much harder time being forgiven or making ammends. Mistakes we all make and are unavoidable, "stupids" are your choice and you have to pay for em

4. MilwaukeeCatHunter

MilwaukeeCatHunter New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Mistake implies that you are acting out of good faith and you are assuming a positive outcome to your decision, unaware of anything negative that might happen.

Stupid implies that you make a decision fully knowing that there are negative things that will probably happen, but you think that you are so "special" that these negative things will never happen to you.

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sounds a lot like the discussions I have with my 10-year-old quite often about "accidents." I firmly belive that most accidents can be avoided if people take the time to think for just a moment before they do something.

For example (made up as an extreme case to illustrate my point), falling off a radio tower may be an accident, but it was completely avoidable if the person had either stopped drinking beer sooner or not climbed over the barbed wire fence or not climbed the tower...

Comes down to personal responsibility, doesn't it?

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    People are only human and make mistakes, that is how we learn.
    It is all the same except for the matter that:

1. A mistake was made and you learned something from it.
    2. A stupid was made and you keep doing the same expecting different results.

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The difference between "Ignorance and Stupidity"

Ignorance= Doing something stupid and not Knowing better!!!

Stupidity= Knowing better but doing it anyway!!!

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Ignorance can be fixed.....stupid on the other hand is forever!!!!!

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yes you can get away with ignorance once, after that it is just plain stupidity, LOL!!!

10. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

So, saying all of my co-workers have come down with "A case of the stupids" doesn't make much sense now.....:sad:

Ray

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Never lose your ignorance, because you cant get it back!

12. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    you lost me ray.
    as in my co workers came down with a case of mistakes???
    that didnt make sense either

13. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    LOL! A mistake was the first time I forgot to duck and hit my head on the lintel above the doorjamb going out my back door.Stupid is the other 300 times I've done it.

14. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I've made a big mistake that turned into a stupid.
    First I thought I was making sence by posting on another thread to a guy that in (MOI) would understand. It has now turned into a great big stupid by continuing to post there to him knowing he's not getting it. :crazy:

However, I'm gonna correct this by not responding to him any longer.

Now where am I ? Stupid but wiser ?

15. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    As Ron White said, "You can't fix stupid"

16. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri

LOL!! I've been following that thread,way too deep for me to get into and I usually jump in feet first."To bow or not to bow,that is the question." ;)

17. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    stupid yeah, I've done a few of them but maybe it could be call bullheadedness. You know getting up only to be knocked on your butt again.

18. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    The way that I try to differentiate ignorance vs. stupidity is by using this example: IMO, ignorance is a lack of awareness, experience, or information. We are all born ignorant, because we are all starting out with zero life experiences. But each day of our lives allows us the opportunty to learn from what we have experienced that day. Stupidity, on the other hand, is a willfull process (and for some an apparent commitment) to remaining ignorant. It is definitely part of the human experience to make mistakes, as well as a few stupids now and then. But it seems to me that some people, for reasons unknown, have dedicated their lives to remaining ignorant :confused: