Missouri's State Fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by smallriverrat, Nov 14, 2006.

1. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
  2. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    well...like...duh!!!????

You know of any other kind of cat there smally?

channel catfever

egg

3. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Does that mean that your state Bait Is Chicken liver!! Egg??

Hahaha

4. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Well, at least it's a member of the catfish family. And yes Eggman, there are other types of cats out there,:roll_eyes: keep on fishing and some day you'll catch the real thing, the king of all cats, the mighty Flathead.:big_smile:

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This a post that I found to be very educational and informative! Thank you brother I appreciate the enlightenment! Reps for ya!:big_smile:

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    yep I knew the Channel Cat is the State fish ,what I didn't know till the other day was the State Insect is the Little Ole Honey Bee.That came from State Rep Terry Witte.Iknow The Blue Bird is the State Bird after that I'm pretty lost.Of course I stay lost most of the time.:roll_eyes: You all Have A Good Day.

7. brisue

brisue New Member

State:
    MO
    Good to know. Thanks for the info.

8. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Eggman I am sorry to tell ya but the channelcat is what most kids fish for then after you grow up you fish for the Bigger Cats like Flats or Blues. Channels are nice to fill a plate but for a fight you got to go Flats or Blues.

Dave

9. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was really surprised to see the channel cat as the state fish. I was just happy it was still a cat. Since the state insect was a bee and the tree was a dogwood I figured it would be a perch or bluegill. Boy, I am glad I was wrong:tounge_out:

Dave

10. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Hey, I'm out there somewhere, if we bump into one another, we could keep each other company. LOL

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I beg your pardon! I catfished for 10 years before I ever even seen or heard of a channel cat. Another 10 before ever catching a flat or blue catfish. Lot's of mudcats still our there in them small creeks, I left a few for ya. LOL

12. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    only in the MO would the state fish be ol whiskers!!

13. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sorry Bro, I didn't know. My soon to be niece caught her first fish this year...it was a channel. My other niece has caught her first fish...bluegill. But we was bait fishing so it was most helpful.

Man, I need to do more fishing.

Dave

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Hope ya know I was just joking with ya, Dave.

No body in my family fished when I was little. One day an ol man from church asked my parents if he could "borrow" me because he was getting too bored fishing alone. Ya, right! I now know of course that he was just wanting to expose the wonders of fishing to a youngster. If my parents would have known that, they no doubt would have refused. Seeing as how it was a favor to him, they said "ok". After that first catfish fishing trip, I have never looked back. Wasn't a safe bullhead in the county. If I even suspected a deep hole in one of the creeks, might hold a catfish, I was on it till I finally caught it. I remember so many times I headed home with a dozen or so 8-10 inch bullheads on a stringer. Most of the times, I would be heading home after midnight and the walk was usually about 3 miles. Being around 8 years old with a fishing pole and a stringer of catfish proved to be irresistible to any passing driver. Can't remember a single time I had to walk the whole way home without getting a ride. Times sure have changed, couldn't imagine how dangerous that would be these days or any parent allowing it for that matter.

15. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My Grandpa started me out catfishing and I have been catfishing ever since. There are some creeks that just the mention of my name makes the bullhead run for miles when I was younger.

Dave