Missouri's largest public fish hatchery.

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by spoonfish, Dec 4, 2005.

1. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I am fortunate enough to have the largest fish hatchery in the state right here in Warsaw. If you ever get the chance it is a great place to visit and learn about fish as well as wildlife and plants in Missouri. They have a aquarium with all kinds of different species includeing a blue cat and a flathead who both weigh 50+ lbs. One thing you will notice about these two are the flathead sleeps behind a stump and will not come out until they shut the lights off at nite, he never moves until then. The big blue on the other hand never stops swimming and cruses the tank non stop. They have a replica of the old state record spoonbill there also that weighed 136+ lbs. If you have a state public hatchery in your area stop by and have a look.
    http://www.mdc.state.mo.us/areas/hatchery/lostvalley/

2. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Very cool info Spoon! I live in jefferson City and my most humble opinion is that we have the most kick a$$ consveration dept in the USA. Maybe we can hook up sometime for some cattin, I am about 90 minutes from Warsaw and all I got around here is channel cats (no boat). I would love to catch a flat head catfish....lol

egg

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I have to agree Egg, Missouri does a excellent job with there conservation dept. Come on over some time, we have channel, flats and blues here and I have a boat. Between Truman and Lake of the Ozarks we could never cover it all. LOZ is 94 miles long and Truman is Missouris largest flood control lake, with Warsaw right between them. I need to throw our name in the hat for the national gathering, right in the middle of the US and some of the finest catfishin any where.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    It's been a long time sense i have been to the warsaw hatchery. From what I remember of it, it was a nice one.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Well heck, they ought to -- they put a *permanent* 1/8 cent sales tax in effect nearly 30 years ago that never ever expires and now they have money coming out their ears. Most sales taxes expire when a certain amount of money is collected or after a certain period of time, but this one will live forever. I enjoy the benefits the tax provides, but when it's raising more money for the MDC than they need or can even spend, then we have a problem.

Anyway...

We haven't made it to the Lost Valley hatchery yet but keep meaning to take the kids there some weekend. We usually remember it about the time of Jubilee Days and there's just too many other things going on...

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I don't know much other than there are a couple of things you can count on in life and thats tax's and a new puppy is liable to crap in the house. Now sales taxes and personal property tax are another matter. I can see where over spending is a issue, but as Wolfie said we have many things other states do not. I see where others say there license fees are high , especially for non-residents and do not have near the state funded public areas we do. Should there be a time period on the taxes? I don't know Marty, if the sales tax was to stop could we expect to enjoy the benifits that we are use to.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    There was a short series of articles in the KC Star a year ago last September that really gave a lot of insight into how MDC operates. I've posted them in text format (no pretty web formatting or anything) on my web site: http://www.allthreads.com/download/MDC-Articles.txt --- check them out when you get a chance.

Don't get me wrong on all this -- I strongly support a sales tax for conservation, but the fact that it's a permanent and forever tax with *no* chance for the voters to have a say on it really gripes me. Especially since it's been on the books for nearly 30 years.

Plus, they don't pay a fair share of property tax to the counties where they own land, which hurts the schools. Nevermind whether property taxes are right or not; they're the current means by which our schools are funded.

Anyway, I firmly believe that if the tax would be up for renewal every few years by the voters, MDC would be a lot more judicious in their spending.

(BTW - Spoon, I didn't mean to hijack your thread about the hatchery!)

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Oh great your basing your findings on the kansas city star. Now that is a heck of a reliable resource there. The star is a pretty liberal paper and I would not believe much out of it except for the scores on the games. Remember at first the 1/8 cent sales tax was a trial period for a certain amount of time first. Then we voted on it again to make it permanent. Like said before Missouri has one of the top conservation programs in the nation. We don't have to rely on government grants and such as other states. When you have other states following Missouri's lead in more ways then one and passing there own sales tax bills like missouri. We must be doing something right. I'm not saying that the state does not spend foolishly at times but thatÂ’s going to happen no matter if you have the sales tax or not. All you have to do is look around and see what the state has to offer compared to other states and you should feel very lucky and proud to have such a great conservation department. I would go so far as to say with out the 1/8 cent sells tax you would not have a 1/4 of what you do now.

9. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    I'll have check it out when I'm down at LOZ for the Ozark Snagmasters' tournament in April, sounds like a nice side trip...

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Chanellocked, where is that tournament ran from? Is that the one the old oar house inn runs?

11. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I am really glad the that the MDC has done so much for the state of Missouri, but I also need to say that they have been really helpful to me when I asked questions or called. Without exception the field agents have been very polite and informative. This has been at gas stations, on the lakes, or on the river. Last spring while they were netting sturgeon for a survey on the Mississippi they saw me hooked into a large fish below saverton dam. When the fight went on for over 30 minutes, they sent a boat over with an agent and the largest landing net that I have ever seen. He waited for about 15 more minutes to help me land what turned out to be a 44 lb asian carp. They thought that it might be a huge sturgeon. Anyway, the way the Missouri Department of Conservation has treated me is so much nicer that the Illinois Department of Conservation. I have not gotten a ticket, but the Illinois guys have been rude when checking licenses, catch, boat, etc. I think that they watch too many cop shows on TV. Hannibal Mike

12. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    First of all I like to say that I like MCD land and fishing. But when my friend and I was fishing and everyone else was bowhunting on public land we are the only ones to be asked for a license then that is abit much. Why didn't she ask for the hunter's license that had just killed a deer? We are law abiding citizens of MO and we have legal fishing (and I have a legal hunting license) but she only asked for our license. When you have 20+ hunters and two fisherman why bug the fisherman for licenses? But I will go back there cuz I like what MO does with there public land. I am happy with Mo for the most part. Just wish they would be more fair with everyone. Why walk on two fisherman and check their licenses and then talk with a hunter and look at his kill and not check his license? But anyways I have been drinking so I will end this. I like Mo just need to be more fair with everything. Why have a big deer pop and not a big catfish pop? And yes I love deer hunting. Just need the some place to go.

Dave