Missouri's Jacksfork River Action

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by KAYAK CAT KILLER, May 26, 2009.

1. KAYAK CAT KILLER

KAYAK CAT KILLER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Did some serious fishing on the upper jacks fork river this weekend. Had a lot of fun with the smallmouth and slaugtered the goggleye. Small mouth r tearing up the salamanders. Filled up a stringer with pan fish . Had a lot of fun. KEEP OUR WATERS CLEAN

2. KAYAK CAT KILLER

State:
    Missouri
    I was catching crawdads allong the river bank and saw a small catfish in the shallows. (There r no catfish on the jacksfork.) but this little guy, about 4 inches had the color or a flathead and three distinct stripes half way down its body to the tail. The water is to cold for catfish and no kitty cover to speak of. He didnt have any wiskers. Anybody know what kind of fish it is and how big they get? Also found a parasitic fish. Looked like a eel about 7inches long. Round mouth with lots of teeth. Nastly little thing was on a 5 ft gar. Looked like something from river monsters Nile River.What was that ??????

3. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    What part of the Jack's Fork do you fish?My dad was born and raised on the Current and Fork.The Owl's Bend campground is the old family farm.My cousins live all over the area.By the way,afetr floods a couple years ago,catfish from Clearwater got into the river system,including some moster Spoonies.
    As far as the mystery fish,it souds like a Sculpin.They don't get much bigger than the one you saw.The Smallies and Walleyes love em.I'll be down there the end of July,to celebrate my dad's 83rd birthday.

4. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Sounds like a lamprey, 2 of the the 6 MO species are parasitic. Don't see many sculpins on the upper Jacks Fork. Might be a Mad Tom, they get up to 4" and are one of several small cats, the Jacks Fork does have Bullheads which tend to feed at night given the clear water.

5. bluetick1897

bluetick1897 New Member

State:
    missouri
    The lamprey is the only jawless fish in missouri so that had to be the round mouth. The striped 4 " catfish was probably a mad tom.

6. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Sorry,guys.You're probably right about the Madtom.I must have been asleep when I put Sculpin.

7. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Not trying to derail your post, but while you guys are talking about small steams and small mouth where and when would you recommend a good small mouth trip?
    I have been on a lot of float trips on the Current, Niangua and the spring river in Ar. but they have all been the group partying type floats.
    I would like to take my dad to a nice place to camp and float/fish.

Thanks, Rob

8. KAYAK CAT KILLER

State:
    Missouri
    I have a cabin at a place called barn hallow. It is located at ratlif ford up hwy17 to pine crest road. We float from jacksfork road outside arrole. The prongs is a low water crossing on jacksfork road.

9. KAYAK CAT KILLER

State:
    Missouri
    Micus , Thanks ,, the lampray is exactly wat it looked like . Nasty little thing was trying to get ahold of me. I had ahold of it like a snake. The little catfish was a mad tom i found out . Thanks for your info.......

10. KAYAK CAT KILLER

State:
    Missouri

Rob ,, I have to say the northfork or jacksfork river is the best. Northfork has some really nice camping spots. My suggestion is twin bridges to hammons camp. Lots of big hard fighting smallies

11. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the info Casey.

Good luck,
    Rob

12. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Hello neighbor, I have a camp about 1/2 way between Y & 17, next property upstream from the VFW camp. I had a bunch down over the holiday. Needless to say we got wet. Water was perfect, so was the fishing. I got to teach outdoor cooking in the rain. I'm a cousin of Gary Cooley, he has a place where you're at.

Mike Stoops