Missouri water - Boat question

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Malichi1970, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I was out yesterday and came across a '06 Tracker 17' Pro Guide with a 60hp 4 stroke motor. It seemed to be a decent price, but was wondering if anyones had any experience with this style of boat and if was suitable for Missouri lakes and rivers.

2. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I don't know why it would'nt be. I just bought a 17' lund that I won't hesitate to use just about anywhere.

3. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Michael

I have always run a mod-v style boat on the river around KC. I do have a friend that runs a Targa 17 with a 115 merc and he likes it quite well. It serves his needs for the river and the lakes around the state.

Scott

4. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I owned a 2003 Tracker 16' Pro Guide with a 40hp for 3 years and it worked great for me on the river and lakes. The only thing I would have done differently would have been to get a bigger motor. The 40 hp didn't have quite enough get up and go for my taste for that big of a boat.
    I sold it last year and bought a new Lowe Fish & Ski with a 90 hp. It to
    worked out just fine on the river and lakes. However it ended up being a little more than my dodge dakota could handle as much as I haul it around. The truck over heated on me twice last year coming home from Perry Lake. So it is now for sale. I will be downsizing to something not quite as heavy.

5. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds good to me. I am at ease taking my 18' Lund (modified-V) with a 70hp 2-stroke on just about any body of water that Missouri offers. There are only a few that I cant get out on and those rivers/creeks are just better suited for a real tiny jon boat or something in that vein.

6. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    You better get it! I used to have a tracker pro 16 with a 40hp mariner. It was a good boat. I wish I had it back (it was paid for)! The 40 would push it about 34mph, which wansn't bad. I used to run mark twain, wappapello, clearwater, and Mississippi river alot. with no problems.

7. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Well, we picked it up yesterday. Hoping to get it registered on Monday and with a good weather report maybe I can get it out next weekend. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!

8. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hope you have many of great safe fishing trips.

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Congrats on the new rig. Now get out there and wack them kittys.

10. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sweet deal man, you are gonna love it! I'll bet you can't wait to get out on the water.

Be safe and have fun...and don't forget to put the boat plug in!

11. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Wish I would of read that post before I went out today.....I'll say no more, but I do know that the Bilge pump works well.:embarassed: Went out in Fenton over on the Meramec at George Winter Park, didn't do much fishing, but road around a bit breaking in the motor. Haven't got the motor Trim part quite figured out all the way, but we had fun just getting it out on the water.

12. tbones23

tbones23 New Member

State:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    sounds like a sweet rig. That's more than enough to get you out on any of the waters here in Missouri. BTW, you're not the 1st person to forget about the plug and won't be the last!! But, i bet that's something you'll check everytime from here on out, that's been my experience anyway...hee hee!!

good luck on the water!!

13. natefishing

natefishing New Member

State:
    missouri
    hey a boat of anything over 16 foot is great for the river with 4o hp or more motor great as well/ where they biting at? where do you launch at? try stump island at glassgow, mo good fishing there

14. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    With all the rain all I've been able to do is get out a couple of times and break in the motor. Put it in at George Winter Park in Fenton and went up and down the Meramec a couple of times, but its so flooded right now it kind of scares me. Took it to LOZ for a weekend, but it was so windy and cold there wasn't anybody catching anything. Need to get out with some of the Big River experts around here a couple of times so they can show me the ropes of being on the Big rivers like the Missouri and Mississippi. Had one guy tell me that I'd be better off staying away from the Missouri River with my boat since it's a Deep V bottom and the current would push me all over the place, but I think he was full of it.....But, I don't know since I haven't tried it yet.

15. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Now is the time to run the Meramec and figure it out. You have about 12 feet of water I figure from the way it looks on the ramp here at Flamm City. I rented a boat just like yours down on Table Rock and it ran just fine.

16. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I know people who use deep v on the MO & have not mentioned any problem. Figure current runs 4-7 mph and once you get above that it seems just like traveling any river. When the current is most notable is when you're on the end of a ski rope attached to a boat that just ran outta gas! It was an interesting experience. Come to think of it, that was a deep v boat:big_smile:

17. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    When I lived in Washington MO, I saw PLENTY of deep v boats running around out there on the MO! I don't know what that guy was telling you but I wouldn't necessarily believe everything he tells you:lol:

18. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    My little 16' Tracker v-hull runs up and down the river 'bout every weekend.

19. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    What size motor you have on your 16 footer Doug? I'm still trying to get this thing figured out (the trim and such). I know sounds stupid, but all I've ever had were Jon boats with little tiller style motors on them. So, the first time I gave this thing some gas I kind of freeked when the whole front end of the boat came up so high out of the water....LOL

20. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I run a 40 hp tiller Evinrude on my boat. As for the power trim, always trim the motor all the way down when taking off, then trim the motor up a little at a time until the boat has the proper "attitude". When slowing down or manuevering, you'll want to trim the motor back down for more bite in the water. The trim is an integral part of the throttle, so keep playing with it and you'll have it down in no time.