Missouri Spring Season

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Quackheadjh, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just wanted to say good luck and be safe on Monday, I am starting to see more strutters as it gets warmer and the property I hunt is normally good for a few Morrels around this time. Remember BE SAFE AND SHOOT EM IN THE LIPS.

2. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I shot a good bird last Monday morning but ever since then it has been tuff. My cousin came up from LOZ and hunted with me Fri, Sat, and Sunday but no luck. The weather was horible and the birds didnt cooperate either. I hope you guys are having better luck than us.

Attached Files:

3. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Nice bird in the pic. Congrats.

4. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Nice bird. You are sure doin better than me. These turkeys are whoopin me. The area I hunt the Toms are henned up and not responding at all. They have been gobblin pretty good in the morninng though.

5. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have that problem also about midway through the season. If you have a fan from a turkey you killed take it and put it behind a jake decoy. That seems to piss old Tom off. NOTE only use fans and stuff like that on private ground to many crazys out there that hunt public, dont want you getting shot!!!

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    My problem is the horrible weather. I know opening day the high wind made it tough to hear the birds. Also not hearing that many birds gobble. Only have heard 1 bird past 10am.

7. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    2 birds came in soft and quiet, up a nice brushy and wooded hill. Didn't gobble at all, shot him about 9:45. Rainy, soft ground = quiet. Came in to my right and I got lucky by getting him.
    Moral: Call softly and carry a 3 1/2 mag!

Next Day
    Called one in hot and heavy for my bud... He wanted to take his 5 year old with him, not the best decision. About 45 yards thru corn stalks the bird just stopped, putting, nervous..... kid couldn't sit still for the final stretch, but it was still cool to finally have a 'hot' bird come in and work it!

Great last weeked, even for being sick with the flu. Caught a ton of pond bass also, filled the freezer. I love the outdoors.

8. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Toms have been difficult this spring. Weather hasnt helped either.

9. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Not a very good forecast for this weekend, But this is the only weekend I have time to get out and tag a bird. I hope.

10. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
  11. Todd Strong

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Well made it back this afternoon. Had a bird gobbling Saturday morning and I thought I knew which way he would head, and he come down off the roost and shut up and never seen him.
    Saturday evening I put one to roost and got set up on him sunday morning in the timber. He was hot and heading my way then boom, the neighbor was sitting in his fence roll. He called me later to think me for not having to do any work.
    This morning got up and headed out and had 7 different birds gobbling, chose a bird and persuade him and got busted by a hen, I did manage to get within 60 yards

12. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    I wish I had some counseling background for all turkey hunters!:wink:

13. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    Got both birds been laid up from knee surgery , lucked out on birds though.Here is a pic of one.I would drive in on a atv really early then cover it with duck blind material and set up real close and wait,cause I was still on crutches.It worked ok ,hunted 5 days and got both birds.Was checkn cattle this morning and was hearin birds where i killed mine.

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      42.6 KB
      Views:
  14. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    For a guy that never has been, and wants to get started how would you guys recommend I learn more about getting started Turkey fishing?

15. Todd Strong

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    That is great Matt. never thought about sitting on atv with a blind over it. Great idea. Would hold down on getting ticks also.

16. Todd Strong

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
  17. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It was last Saturday, Me and a buddy went out to set up on 3 strutters pulled into the field and there was a truck parked in it. I have some problems with a tenant that lives on the farm that I hunt, he will give permision to his buddies when he doesnt have the right ( but thats another story). WE went to the north side of the farm and got set up, Right at daylite we had a young tom pop out of the timber at 40 yards BOOM!!! I didnt see what had happend but the look on John face said it all, yep it was a miss. I have hunted waterfowl and turkeys with him for 5 years now and have never seen him miss. He was sick he couldnt figure it out. We go to move and I see a jake behind us,I tell John to turn around and shoot,BOOM!!! dust turkey flys away yep missed again. He is Pi$$ed now and wants to go home but I talk him into trying 1 more spot. We get over there and make a call, nothing. John turns around and see's a tom walking the same path we just cut across the bean field we sit down put out decoy and begin. Now for most of you that hunt a tom by himself at 7:30 in the morning in the middle of the field is lonely, yep you guessed it he came right in. I tell John to take him BOOOMMM!!!! Turkey hit the dirt I jumped up to see the bird flying off. I hane never seen a Remington 870 fly like a javeline before. We trailed the bird with some feathers and blood but lost it after about 100 yards. Yep it was a bad day we have all had them, I told him but three birds missed in one day is a little acessive!!!

18. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Ive seen it happen with deer before but never turkeys. Man thats bad luck. Did you ever find out what the problem was?? Even getting 3 seperate birds into range in one day is a good feat. I was deer hunting one time watching a large open field when a fat doe stepped out at about 150 yards. The day before I had a nasty drag with a buck on a snow covered hill. Anyway, this doe stops and I shoot and she just looks around and goes back to eatin. I reload and shoot again and she wags her tail and takes a few steps and starts eatin again. Long story short I shot 5 times at this deer before I gave up. It was still in the field eating. I went to the range the next day and at 50 yards I was a foot right. So I figure at 150 I was about 3 feet right.:angry: No wonder it wasnt worried.

19. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We patterned the gun. It was fine. The first two birds he shot at he has no excuse for just plain old head in A$$ miss's. The last one I think is becuase he was laying prone when he shot ( we were set on the edge of a field on a drop off). I think he shot low!!