Missouri skipjack

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by FLOAT TRIP WILLIE, Apr 19, 2007.

1. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    Can anyone help me out? Where and how can i catch skipjacks? I get 1 or 2 in my shad net every now and then. I heard people catch them on pole and line. My ? is how,where,and what type of bait? thanks guys,and good fishing this year

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Welcome to the BOC, Willie. Lots of great information here.

Try a search of this forum using "skipjack" and you'll come up with all kinds of useful results.

Bottom line, though, is that few if any folks ever catch skipjack on the Missouri River. Goldeye seem pretty easy to come by (and I think some folks confuse them with skipjack).

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Welcome to the board, your gonna like it here.
    Never heard of using bait to catch skipjack. Most folks I know use an ultralight fishing rod/reel or flyrod, with Sabiki rigs/flys. I just bought 8 more rigs the other day and have 24 more coming. The largest is size 6 and the smallest is 14. I mainly bought the 14's to take the rig apart and use the jig/fly on my flyrod. If you are not familiar with sabiki's, they are basically a small jig prerigged in a group of 6. They usually have soft rubber bodies with wings I guess you could say. Originally, they were designed for catching bait in the oceans, but catfolks use them to catch skipjack. We usually find skippies in fast moving water, directly below an obstruction such as a dam or wingdike. Here in Missouri, I only find them in the spring, and only on the Mississippi River. Lets of them are caught below the Chain of Rocks Low Water Dam near St. Louis and below Alton Dam. If I am out where I go fishing, near Festus, I try to find them around wingdikes.
    Hope this helped.

4. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    thanks guys. I glad i found a group of people who like catfishing as much as i do. Me and a friend of mine are going out this weekend, I'll try to get some skipjack at chain of rock tommerow. the water is going down and thats great fishing. thanks again for the info :cool2: ​

5. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    MO has a 3 hook limit on rigs I think. Do you cut them in half or am I missing something. I haven't seen them in the local BassPro but they carry them on their website.

6. mudkat

mudkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    just fishin of da bottom with worm just about anywhere works great:)

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I used to think there was a 3-hook limit also -- but in searching the regulations, I can find no mention of a limit on the number of hooks that can be used on a single fishing pole.

The regs say you can use "not more than 3 unlabeled poles" and "not more than 33 hooks in the aggregate for any and all methods" (Mississippi River has a 50-hook limit). But nowhere that I can find does it say only 3 hooks per fishing pole.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    OOPS!

It turns out that the 3-HOOK LIMIT is TRUE - I just missed it in my first search -- it's in the definition of "Pole and Line:

From 3 CSR10-20.805 Definitions (http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/3csr/3c10-20.pdf)
    So based on that, I'd say that using Sabiki rigs with more than 3 hooks is a big no-no....

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Hey micus, they are in the catfishing section of the local bass pro near the catfish hooks, the leaders ect., they have a little selection of them over there.

10. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the B.O.C. from Alton Illinois. You will find skipjack around the dam here in Alton. You mentioned the chain of rocks, which is also a good spot for skipjack. Please keep us posted in regard to the fishing situation at the chain of rocks. That is one of my favorite spots also. Good luck.

11. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    will do alton. I might come up there this weekend hows the fishing? Can you get down to the dam or is the water to high? I dont want to drive all the way up there and cant get in.

12. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    do moon eye freeze as good as skipjacks? I always here of people freezing skipjacks so Im guessing they stay pretty firm after being frozen.

by the way ,welcome to the boc willie!! it took me about 5 minutes of lookin around on here before I was totally hooked.

13. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Just curious, anyone been up to Alton recently? I want to go this Saturday and was wondering if the river was still really high?

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    River-Rat, Willie says it's going down.

No, apparently I have been using them illegally.

But I will use them illegally no more!

15. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    Goldeye and mooneye both tend to get very soft upon death. Freezing them makes this worse. I think even shad hold up better than they do to freezing. Now vacuum sealing then freezing might help them hold up better. I'm sure someone around her knows but if not I intend to try it out this year.

As for conditions at L&D 26, it's been open river for a week or two now. The river looks to be dropping 1/2 a foot the next day.

You can always check
    http://mvs-wc.mvs.usace.army.mil/trans/gages.html
    for gauges above and below the dam.

I'm not sure if the parking lot is usable at the current gauge, I'll try and find out what depth the parking lot goes under water so we know the range of use. I do know you need above 4.3+ feet or so to get a boat off the trailer there when water is low.

16. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    do anyone know of any new fishing spot in the st. louis/st. charles area?

17. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC, Willie!