Missouri Rules And Regulations

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Michael Jake, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    So often we go here on the BOC as our information highway because we can tap into the wealth of information it provides quickly like a fast food. When it comes to rules and regulations we can be of help but as we have seen here in the past many factors have over come our personal responsibility to check for our selves and make THE CALL. Let’s not assume everything we see here as the gospel, hey were human. If I were to comment on a subject and was in error that could result in a citation, I would hope that a fellow BOC member would shed some light on it, then it is my responsibility to check and verify with the appropriate agency by making THE CALL. When the mandate for a safety course completion for those within a certain age limit went into affect in order to drive a boat, our entire family went thru it. I didn’t want to leave it for interpretation should my daughter move the boat with the trolling motor. Plus, we became informed of Missouri boating and safety laws. Thru talking with if the U.S. Coast Guard, I also found out under federal regulations, wearing a personal floatation device is mandatory for 12 and under verses 7 and under for Missouri Regulations. This is what the BOC is all about, to provide a platform to inform and better equip each of us in the recreation that we so dearly love. After talking with both our Conservation Dept. and the Illinois D.N.R. hopefully can shed some light as to the riciprical agreement our two states share. Anyone can fish anywhere on or from the bank of either side of the Mississippi river with a with a valid fishing license from either state. This only applies to the Mississippi. One needs a license of the other state if they fish any feeder creeks or rivers flowing into the Mississippi from the other state. That’s it in a nutshell folks. I asked the Illinois D.N.R. about parking and ramping from their state and they said that’s part of riciprical agreement for fishing the Mississippi. They all got a laugh when I told them that’s how it was told me but wanted to hear it from them or other wise the Pruitt fish record would belong to Missouri cause he had to park and ramp from the Missouri side to fish below Alton. If we go up into the Illinois to fish, we need an Illinois license, if someone from Illinois fishes the Missouri, Salt or any tributaries in Missouri then they need a Missouri license, it’s that simple. There have been other issues brought up here on the BOC, folks make THE CALL, it might save you some money later.

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thanks Mike ,I know we have had a lot of discussion on that matter and as many times it has been talked about I still wasn't for sure. Thanks for clearing up a heated discussion (not on here) but with neighbors about being able to set on out of state bank (Il) and fish the Mississippi.
    But I think I.m gonna get the out of state lic again this year then I don't have to worry about it .Plus I can fish where ever I want in Il. with no headaches.Thanks agaain for the heads up.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    That's a good point.

There's *nothing* on the BOC that irritates me more than someone responding to a question about Missouri regulations with an answer like "Well, I've always heard..." or "as far as I know,...." or "I talked to a conservation officer once who said..." -- might as well be saynig "well, my crystal ball says..."

If you're going to answer a question about the regulations, then back it up with a reference to the relevant section of the wildlife code and there'll be no question as to whether it's gospel or not. The full text of the wildlife code is easily accessible online and it's really not difficult to read or understand.

You can find it here: http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/3csr/3csr.asp -- Chapter 6 is the sport fishing code; Chapter 20 contains definitions used in the code.

Now, with that said, I agree that you can often get a quick answer by calling the conservation dept directly. However, I've had inconsistent results when I've called the Kansas City district office with questions -- it's difficult to get past the flunkie who answers the phone and get to someone with actual knowledge of the rules. On more than one occasion, I've been given an answer that was just plain wrong -- fortunately, I suspected I wasn't getting good information and followed up on it with the folks in Jefferson City.

In my experience, the best and most thorough answers to my questions has come from using the online contact form at the MDC web site: http://www.mdc.mo.gov/cgi-bin/comments/comments.cgi?referer=http://www.mdc.mo.gov/ -- every single question I've sent has been referred to someone who can give a correct answer, usually within a couple of days.

The bottom line is, if you get an answer here that's not supported by a reference to the wildlife code, you better assume it's just a guess and do some more digging to verify whether it's a correct answer or not. For that matter, even if it *is* supported by a reference to the code, you'd do well to read the code yourself and decide whether the answer is correct - and if you're not sure, call the MDC.

One thing is sure, though -- you'll never talk your way out of a citation with the excuse that "some guy on the BOC said it was OK!"

4. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    These are two really good posts. I am keeping the addresses that Mr. T gave us for future reference. I have been to Wally World three times this years to get the new regulation books. Each time I have been told maybe next week. Does anyone know where I can get a hard copy of the regulations around the KC area? I like to keep one in the boat for quick reference. Thanks guys, great posts!

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    My 8-ball said"try again later"...my local conservation agent said"later"...my friend of the neighbor's hairdresser said "Friday",but I always heard...."tomorrow".....on the internet it said"soon":lol: :lol:

Good posts by all

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Mike, I didn't read this thread until after I just posted on the subject elsewhere here.
    You guy's are correct in not believing everything a conservation agent tell you. I have been told on two occasions, once on the phone and once in person, that the IL trailering question was true, you could get a ticket if you have a fish aboard when ramping on the IL side. MDC confirmed it over the phone with me. Now what? We need something in writing other than an email.

7. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Good point Tom and Marty, when we bring the answers we received to the platform here and find mixed results then what next. I hit up the Illinois D.N.R. (wardens) at the Collinsville boat show and gave them the example given on here relating to possession of fish at their ramp. They all said no way that there had to be more to the story. I’ve wondered if there has been such an incident, if it’s isolated to a section of river south of St. Louis… I have ramped up at Quincy below the dam without any incident but the inconsistent reports leaves an uneasy feelin. Like Cuz and MRR said, they’ll still feel better if their licensed and that would eliminate any chance for “interpretation”. I know our brothers in the KC area have similar issues with Kansas but even more restrictive.

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I don't fallow the agreement between Ill. and Mo. but man I would think that the boys in Jeff city would make it the same as between Kansas and Missouri. If not at least close to it. Meaning you can use the other states ramps without having to have there licenses. I mean face it the state of Missouri has a lot of pull when it comes to resources. Then a lot of these other boarder states. I have never seen a Kansas wildlife or water patrol on the Missouri river. I have seen Missouri’s out there doing there job. If I remember correctly many years ago when I fished the Mississippi by boat in Iowa. The agreement between Ill. and Iowa was you could fish a tributary of the other state tell the first railroad bridge. That was about 12 years ago though.

9. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This is something that is getting kinda hazey. As far as I know you can still use whatever ramp you want to launch the boat and access the Missouri River and as long as you are liscensed in a border state you are good to go. But I will make the call on it to get everyones panty's out of a wad on the rules .The rules police on here are gettin kinda nuts at times. Bottom line know the rules that apply to you and fish on. In all my years of fishing the Mo river I have never seen the problem with using border ramps and taking fish out of a river for a catfish tournament to weigh them in.It is called reciprical rules and you need to understand them and how they apply to you. People are making this harder than it needs to be. One think I will tell ya is one warden will interput the rules different than a another.

10. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Just thought I would relate an experience I had concerning reciprical privileges:
    I was fishing on the Missouri river. I had put in at Levenworth Kansas and was anchored and fishing just north of Levenworth. 2 conservation agents pulled up next to my boat and asked for my permit. I told them I had both MO and KS permits, and asked which one did they want to see. They said either worked on the Missouri even though that part of the Missouri river is boarder on both sides by Kansas.
    It was also kind of funny that as I was digging my permit out of my wallet one of my poles went down, I grabed it and set the hook. As I began to reel it in, they told me to have fun and drove off without checking my permit.

11. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Now that raises another problem. When I look at the map the missouri river runs between Mo. and Kansas. Where does Kansas claim it is their bank on both sides?

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Like I said before I'll just buy Il. Lic. They was only 24.50 for 2006 so can't be too much more for 07 Lic. Cheaper than all the dog gone headaches. Don't trust the government to much. Just my opinion.Plus don't like to be hassled.

13. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I got my navigations charts out and started at the 490 mile marker which is where Nebraska and Kansas borders start. went all the way down. from the 451.5 to the 449.5 it is Missouri on both sides. starting at the 367mile marker which is just below the Kansas river it Missouri on both sides again. At no point on the river did I see Kansas on bothe sides of the river. This chart was produced by the U.S. Army corps of Engineers.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    There are several small sections along the Nebraska / Missouri border where the river is entirely within Nebraska, but nowhere along the Kansas / Missouri border is the river entirely in Kansas.

15. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    “Where does Kansas claim it is their bank on both sides?”

While I can’t answer exactly where, there are places where the channel has shifted since the state boundaries were drawn. Rosecrans Airport near St Joseph is one place where it has shifted, in this case both banks are Missouri. I’d be hugely surprised if an agent ever tried to make an issue of that, though. The reciprocal agreement is meant to be a benefit to sportsmen, not be a trap, and people don’t have a reasonable way to even tell where these sections might be. I just don’t think it’s worth worrying about.

Attached Files:

16. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I'm not going to worry one bit about what state owns what. You think there really going to say hey your 10ft over to the left to far. Because chances are they don't even know.... Fish on!! Have fun giving your self a coronary....

17. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I think that's the point, Billy -- noboby really knows the rules and everybody is guessing and relating "what they've always been told..."

As it turns out, there's an easier way...

Here's the Missouri wildlife code section regarding reciprocal fishing privileges (http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/3csr/3c10-6.pdf):

Here's the section from p. 8 of the 2007 Kansas fishing regulations booklet regarding fishing on the Missouri River (http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/content/download/905/4565/file) -- the highlighting is mine:

And from the Illinois Fishing Regulation booklet p. 71 (http://dnr.state.il.us/fish/digest/digest.pdf), again the highlighting is mine:

The only other question really revolves around what happens when (for example) you are in Kansas and in possession of fish caught using your Missouri License (i.e., you pulled out at Kaw Point after fishing on the Missouri River). And it shouldn't be a problem at all -- as long as you were abiding by the regulations that applied to the fish you caught and where you caught them, you can legally possess them in *any* state you want.

It's no different than catching walleyes in Minnesota and getting stopped in Iowa on the way back to Missouri. As long as you can show that you caught the fish legally, it doesn't matter that you don't have an Iowa fishing permit.

18. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Best Advice Yet. :lol:

19. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here is what everyone should do. Carry a copy of the rules with them and if questioned just hand the reg book to the warden and ask him his take on them. I researched the rules 20 plus years ago and reread them for changes every year. When in doubt make a phone call and ask the right questions and get your answer.I will let thing die andleave it up to you to figure out what to do.I know where I stand and will just go fishing and do what I have done for a long time.I got the answers from the people I needed to a long time ago.i think Crazy and Cuz have said it best.