Missouri River

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by RIVER-RAT, Oct 3, 2005.

1. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Hey everybody, new to the BOC. My name is Bill and I was seeing if anybody had some advice on fishing the Missouri. I fish the stretch from Washington to the Klondike Boat Ramp ( across from the Labadie Power plant) in St. Charles County. I'm a bit new to the sport of catfishing, (grew up in Montana flyfishing), but am totally addicted to the pursuit of big cats. I recently have been catching shad with a throw net and then anchoring below the wing dyke and fishing the deep scour holes with little success. Mostly been catching small cats or nothing at all. I want to catch the biggun's! Any helpful hints, such as time of day, location, bait ect. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Riverrat..I fish the Missouri from Washington up to New Haven.. There is a lot of good fishing area where you are at. There is a couple creeks on the left coming up to Washington that hold good eaters..2 to 5 pounders and I have been told down from Labadie there is an old barge that sank and some big fish have been caught on the back side of the barge.. I was told it is on the same side as the power plant is down river a half mile or so. I only have a 9.9 and it takes me forever to get to the power plant and back from Washington so I dont go there too often. Upstream, towards New Haven is a creek that they have cut off the access to but you can still reach it from the river that holds a lot of shad. Boepf Creek..spelling is most likely off. It is 2 or 3 miles down stream from New Haven.. If I can help anymore just drop me a line.

3. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Thanks for the help, Dave. I've never fished west of the Hwy 47 bridge. I think I'll take a ride up that way today and check it out. Also if your interested in fishing near that sunken barge, the Klondike Boat ramp is right across and just east of it and the power plant. It's about a ten minute drive from the Hwy 47 bridge. It's right off of Hwy 94. If you want directions let me know, I'm very familiar with St. Charles Co.

4. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    While they were building Klondike ramp, a guy I know was doing good on flatheads off the end of the wingdam they built it behind. He was doing it on fried hotdogs. I'd try em but if I got hungry I might not have any bait! :D

5. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Riverrat..I did not know about that ramp. Yes I would like directions..I like to fish in that area but as I said before it is such a long ride in my boat I hardly go down stream. Thanks for the information.

6. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Dave, as soon as you cross over the bridge from Washington, make the first right hand turn onto Augusta Bottom Rd. Follow that to Emke Rd, the first street off of Augusta Bottom, and make a left. Take Emke to Hwy 94, the stop sign, make a right. Drive approximately 5-6 miles and Klondike Boat ramp will be on your right hand side. Now there is Klondike Park also, you don't want that, go past it and the boat ramp will be 1/2 mile past it.

If the water is high, like it was yesterday, you won't be able to see the sunken barge, but the power inlet is just up the river from it, maybe a 100 yards or so. Current is a little stronger there so might need a few more ounces on the line. I here that you can catch shad / skip jack right there in the warmer water from the power plant. Let me know how you do, I was talking to a park ranger over there in st charles county and he told me that there have been a number of large fish being pulled out of there. The largest was 60lbs on rod and reel caught on cut shad. That was only a couple weeks ago. I was over there the other day, unfortunately not fishing, and there was a fellow from Arnold up there fishing. He told me that he was catching fish in the 20-30lb range and that was what was bringing him back. Good luck, maybe I'll see you out there!

7. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    we are having good luck with shad, mostly mornings till about 10, and evenings till dark. we are fishing the holes ABOVE the wingdams.

8. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Dave, drove over the river today and was by the Klondike ramp, river is really high, up 3-4 feet from even yesterday. The wing dykes are all under water and lots of debris. I know when the conditions are like this the parks department usually close the ramp because it has a tendency to collect silt and the debris. I'll be by there tomorrow and will let you know if anything changes.

9. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Thanks much for the information..have a 4 day weekend coming up so I will e trying to get to the water this weekend..have to work with a friend sat and little sunday but then .. its miller time and I'll be trying to find my way to the river and maybe that Klondike ramp..I drive an 88 dodge, gray..back windows have BOC decals on them.. hope to see you on the water..

10. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Dave, was by the Klondike ramp today and there were fellas putting there boat in. Talked to two guys coming off the river and they had a 7 nice fish, including a 25lb & 18lb flatties. Said they caught them on gold fish above the wing dykes in the shallow water early this morning, they came off the water at about 9:00am to go to work!!

I probably won't be out this weekend cause I have to work and no way to get off. I drive a 92 Dodge...blue over grey w/ a camper shell and catfish decals and BassPro sticker. I have the SeaArk named "Death Barge II" on the back and "Team Death Barge" on the side. I'll keep my eye out for ya!!

11. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    River rat..nice looking ramp..posted a message on the Missouri river site, I think .. anyway. Thanks again..trying to get my buddy with his jet boat to run up to the crap hole and get some more shad to freeze before cold weather sets in. I drag bottom so bad in my boat I had to sharpen my propeller when I got home the last time. Trying to get some time off to try fishing up there..I clocked it and its 15 miles from Washington..not any further than going to New Haven.. Where is that barge..I have heard it was on the down side of the power plant..have you had any luck at the power plant? I fished there a couple times last year, early winter with no luck. Need to fill the freezer but a 20 pounder between two pieces of bread would be nice too! I caught a 8 pound channel a couple weeks ago..and damn, that was good eaten! If we stopped eating everything I brought home we would have the freezer full but ..that aint happening!

12. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Dave, I haven't fished at the power plant since early Feb. I'm planning on getting over there this sat. and possibly mon. now that the tempurature has gone down. I'm going to try to catch some fresh shad and some skip jack there in the outlet. When I fished there earlier this year, I didn't use either one and didn't have any luck. I couldn't catch shad or skippies before, but now I know how to. Everybody I have talked to that fish over there say they use either one and have good luck. So now that I know how to catch bait maybe I to can hook into one of monsters.

I checked out the ramp today and the river has gone down nicely and the parks dep. has cleaned the ramp up pretty good too.

That barge is approximately 100 yards down river from the power plant discharge on the south side of the river. It's right up next to the bank, when the river is low, you can see it.

I'll be out there early saturday morning until early afternoon, have to take the little gal out on the town that night. Like to see ya out there.

13. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    River rat..gotta work Sat and Sunday but I'm going to try to get out there sunday afternoon or take off monday if I can. Where did you catch that hog you are holding?

14. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Dave, I caught that guy about 1/2 mile up river from the power plant on 9-10 of this year. 32lbs, personal record. I was using shad.

I'll definately be out there sat & mon.

15. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Were you fishing off a dike?

16. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Oh my bad...yeah I caught him right behind the wing dike. I actually place my anchor on the dike itself then float down alittle. I usually position the boat so I can place a line or two in or near the scour hole, at the end of the dike, and then cast a line or two that run parallel with the dike and then a line on the shallow sand bar. That fella there was up close to the dike near the scour hole in about 12 feet of water. My fishing partner, who is also my father in-law, pulled a 14 pound channel out of that same hole a few weeks ago. I have always caught fish in this particular hole. Not all of them big mind you, but it's always a good time. Those two fish are still out there because I believe in CPR.

I thought I was going to be out there sat. but I'm not. I compete as a super heavy weight strongman (you know, lifting cars and pulling semi trucks) and we're training on sat instead of sunday this week. I have the national championships coming up on Nov. 5th so I can't afford not to make it. Not to worry though, I have 5 days off from work and when I'm not training, I'll be out fishing. So I'll be out Sunday and mon and possibly tue and wes. Hopefully I can get into some decent fish. If I see you out there I'll be sure to introduce myself.

17. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I got out of going to court Friday and I went fishing instead. Went out late after having a flat on my truck. Fished the barge and nothing, fished by the discharge, nothing, fished near the intake, nothing...needless to say the intire day was like that..nothing! I used up a bag an half of my large frozen shad and not one fish to invite to dinner! Beautiful day so it was not a total loss..got back to the boat ramp and the tire was flat again..took two cans of beer waiting on that tire to air up. Dont know if I will be using that ramp too much..too many nut cases on 94. I was almost run off the road twice going home..what a bunch of nuts! Too many wineries and not enough road in my opinion! It was 15 miles out of Washington and man, that was a long way dodging those fools crossing the center line. Good luck on your trip..and I hope you have better luck than I did.