Missouri River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by zmoon, Jun 5, 2006.

1. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I recently moved to St. Charles. I am looking for a good place to fish on the Missouri. I would like to set out some trot lines and do some rod & reelin for some big flats or blues. If anyone knows a good river access ramp and possibly a direction to head as far as fishing please let me know. Also if there are any secret baits that might help me out.....

Thank you

2. CATDADDY78

CATDADDY78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Columbia Bottom Access Is The Best Place For Me To Catch Trophy Blues. I Fish At The Tips Of Dykes, Kicker Dykes, Creek Channels,cut Banks, Slack Waters

Hope This Helps

3. Honzy333

Honzy333 New Member

State:
    MO
    Hey, Zmoon and catdaddy, im new around St. Charles too. Im from MN and am learning this southern style of fishing. I have been fishing out of Weldon Springs hunting for big blues and would like to know if you have any tips for me catdaddy. Zach, im going out tonight from about 8-11, let me know if you want to come with. call my cell#314-413-5355

4. CATDADDY78

CATDADDY78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    hey guys its catdaddy. we are going out this weekend on saturday the 10th of june at about 1:00 or 2:00 putting in at either weldon spring or blanchette landing. just restored my boat so im anxious to be back on the water. im taking her out today for a test run. the best spot for me at the weldon spring access is south of the ramp up by the power plant. find the bend in the river and fish on the outside bend of a wing dyke and you should catch something nice, but the blues are spawning so it might be a little hard to catch a huge one now. i use fresh cut shad. just fillet the shad down, be sure not to fillet into the other side, because you want to leave the main vein in tact. fillet it down and at the end chop off the tail. sqeeze the shad a little and it will pour out blood and it will keep bleeding for about 10-20 min. be sure to change bait often and if you havent had a bite within 45 min. move spots. deep holes provide good fishing during the heat of the day and sand bars that drop off into these deep holes are good during the evening hours. i very rarely catch alot of fish during the heat of the day. but honzz333 i will be out there on saturday afternoon if ya want to hook up i have a 14' v-bottom olive drab green, white floor. my cell is 314-775-6212 my name is jason. call me sat. morning well see what we can do. my other buddy is going out too so maybe we can hook into some blues. see ya on the water.

5. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    buy a throw net from and practice in your yard. Ive always had the best luck with the freshest bait you can catch. shad and bluegill have always out performed any thing else i have ever used. walmart has a net that comes with an instructional video if needed. for learning to throw from a boat, i practiced by standing on a chair. hope that helps and good luck

6. Honzy333

Honzy333 New Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks Larry, I think I am going to try the casting net thing. I have been using cut shad and blue gill, but time and money go fast!

7. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    Hey Nate,

I have a couple of different throw nets and the one mentioned earlier at Wal-Mart works fine and It's about 20 bucks. Took me a whole 10 or 15 minutes to get the throw down, that's all. I fish mainly Weldon and Labidy Power Plant. Both spots can be good at times. Remember if one dykes not working; don't waste too much time, spend about 30-40 minutes at each dyke until you find one that produces.

Later and good luck!

Bill

8. bck1006

bck1006 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have tried fishing the wing dykes and creek openings.I have yet to find any cats. I was wondering if I should try drifting the channel.I fish weldon springs all the time.I'm not really sure of any where else to go. I have been using shad and hot dogs.If any one has any sugestions please let me know me and honzy fish together we are always looking for someone with some knowledge to give us any tips as we are both new to the Missouri,Thanks

Brian

9. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    Drifting the channel can at times be awesome! Your challenge will be keeping your bait slow enough for the cats to get it. Plus, It can be dangerous...those rocks/dykes/rip-rap and logs come up REAL quick on the Missouri. Always be on the lookout. Here is a post with tons of good info for drifting.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624

Good luck!

10. CATDADDY78

CATDADDY78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    hey guys if i were you i would fish down below the hwy 40 bridge along the kicker dykes, big blues like to stay along these dykes waiting for herring shad or any other baitfish to swim across. i fish the tips of these kicker dykes and i catch alot of cats. catch some fresh herring ar fresh shad

11. dust_stl

dust_stl New Member

State:
    Missouri
    catdaddy what oz weight do normally use on the tip of dykes?

12. CATDADDY78

CATDADDY78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I Generally Use 6 Or 8 Oz. Of Weight Rigged Carolina Style. You Have To Use A Single Weight. If You Use A Combination Of Weights To Equal 6 Or 8 Oz. Then You Line Will Get Tangled From The Current

13. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I had been rigging Carolina style as well, but was getting fed up with hanging up and losing the whole rig. Try a double barrel swivel rig instead. I use 30lb mainline, thread on a swivel then a bead,then tie on another swivel. To the first swivel put on, I use 20lb for a sinker dropline(about 12" with a loop on the other end so you can change weights easily. Then to the second swivel I run 40lb for a leader(18-24"). If you get hung up on the bottom, you can usually break the dropper line and only lose your sinker. Have had very good luck in the Missouri River current with this rig.

14. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What do you mean by Kicker dykes?

15. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    dougc ,I have been using your rig and it works great. THANK YOU !