missouri river

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by mudd, Jul 5, 2009.

1. mudd

mudd Member

State:
    iowa
    could anyone give me some help on fishing the mighty mo near sioux city.its up and running fairly hard.im used to fishing smaller river but wld like to learn how and where to fish this beast.thanx for any and all help

2. mr.snag

mr.snag New Member

State:
    IA
    I'm actually looking for a response to this one too. I fished MO a few times and have caught fish but not fish like i see others catch . Also not very many fish for me either i figure the ones i have caught were just luck . I'm heading up to Wilson Island next week to try my luck with some Mud Leeches if anyone responds to this dudes thread could you also add in the best way to fish a mud leech position/area/time of day???

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Welcome to the BOC Josh and Lee.
    I'm surprised some of the mo river guys haven't answered yet.
    Must all be fishin or somethin.
    Have a good 1
    just

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Lee and Josh,A Big old welcome to the BOC Glad to have you join us.

Well to start off the Muddy Mo. can be just a little tough this time of year here in Iowa as the flats and blues are in the middle of the spawn as we speak. But the good news is that they don't all spawn at the same time.Now with that being said.I like to fish the front end of wing dikes with live bait,Live Bluegill, shad,bullheads and large chubs.The last 2 years I have caught more Blue catfish than Flatheads,some in the #50 pound range and mostly in fast current as Blues like fast water and the Flats seem to stay in deep holes with structure in the day time and come out to cruse the shallows along banks and shallow sandbars feeding at night.

If you have a boat with electronics it will help to find the holes with structure and if you don't then at this time of year I would target the mouth of rivers or creeks such as the Big Souix,the Little Souix,Boyer Shoot,and if you are fishing Wilson Island I would fish the shoot that enters the Missouri river on the back side of the campground. Take several offerings of bait and keep it fresh alive and changed as needed.As far as leeches go I don't know how good they will work for big flats and Blues but you just might pick up a walley or a Sauger which are present in the river.

Now Good Luck and don't be afraid to move locations if you are not getting bites,Like I said this time of year is kinda tough with the spawn going on.Tight lines fellas,J.D.

5. mudd

mudd Member

State:
    iowa
    ok,thanx alot

6. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i fish the MO river down south near nebraska city and further south down to rulo. i fish the neb side and the iowa side, there are some good spots near neb city on the iowa side. just fish down stream from rock dikes and wing dikes, wherever there is a current break, ive had good luck this year so far:cool2:

7. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    the river up there is alot different than it is here... i was always told they catch alot of big channels up around there but i don't know why you wouldn't beable to go out and catch a big flathead or blue.. try some cut bait

8. mr.snag

mr.snag New Member

State:
    IA
    Yes thank you very much for the info . I have been fishing the calm waters behind the dikes. I will try fishing the wind dike tips for awhile see how that goes. When do the flats stop there spawn? im itching to catch a big flat considering my biggest is about 5lbs lol caught on a chub ..