Missouri River

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by Mrquickset, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Mrquickset

Mrquickset New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Hey guys, I spent Friday on the Big MO...I fished off wing dykes and also fished the mouth of a tributary in a deep hole. I used cut bait on one pole and alternated liver, shrimp, and stink bait on the other pole. No bites, but it sure was a beautiful day to be on the river.

I've heard reports of walleyes being caught and a few channels around the wing dykes...maybe I should have hit the sand bars. Oh well it was great therapy!

Anyone having any luck out there?

2. construction0226

construction0226 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We've been out a couple of times and had a few bites but still a little cold yet. I think I seen someone say they caught a couple in the shallow flats. Some warm weather would be great!

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    river has 1.8 ft and shes out of banks...I am hoping fer the best expectin the werse ...water temp is holding at 41* ....we need about a 6-9 degree jump then the feedbags will be in place propper.:wink:...man I hope we dont flood out again ...I am gonna be a master at fishing corn & bean fields(LOL) last yr we dunked the boat right off a gravel rd in a field and kicked butt(LOL) might be dion it gain this yr the way its looking...one thing is fo sure SCROONS gonna be good this yr...we have the miosture...paitence...shoot were pose to freeze a few more commin up too:sad2:

4. Mrquickset

Mrquickset New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Has anyone seen the extended forecast? Looks like next week will average in the mid 50's. Who's going after the big blues? Hmmm...gotta get some bait.

5. Mrquickset

Mrquickset New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Several small channels in the 1-3lb range caught this weekend. I cut open their stomachs and found two primary foods. Small crayfish and frogs.

Wouldn't this mean that they are feeding near the bank or in the shallows? Possibly even sifting through the mud to capture their food. I netted a bunch of chubs and happened to get a leopard frog and one crayfish so they are beginning to wake up from the winter hibernation.

Water temp varied from 41-45 degrees in the river yesterday near Little Sioux.

I fished several wing dykes and certain ones seemed to hold large quanities of fish according to my depth finder. Others only marked several.

The sturgeon are beginning to bite also on crawlers.

6. Mrquickset

Mrquickset New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    It seems the channel cats are moving up the feeder creeks and rivers that spill into the Big MO.

A dozen nite crawlers will not last very long because the fingerling channels are biting about as fast as you can put your hook into the water. At least that's the case at Little Sioux. They are so thick, if you miss one biting when you set your hook, you often snag one. And you can feel your line moving over the numbers of small channels when you reel in.

There have been a number of 5+pounders caught up the creeks off the Big MO.

Someone caught a 21lb flathead this past week at the mouth of the Little Sioux.

Anyone else having any luck?

7. MO RIVER MAN

MO RIVER MAN New Member

State:
    IOWA
    My brother was there sat. caught a lot of channels and some trash fish nothing big.

8. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I caught a few channels yesterday at mosquito creek ranged 2-4 pounds off shrimp I had alot of bites and the ones that I managed to hook were not biting agressively I pretty much got lucky they seemed to just nibble and run off. I would not use a cirlce right now because they won't hook them selfs. The water was pretty chilly as well so they probably are not completely on the move yet. I fished from 9:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. didn't catch my first one until about noon, so I am sure the sun warming the water was a factor.

9. Mrquickset

Mrquickset New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Hey guys here are a couple of pics of some catches this past week...my 11yr old daughter has caught the biggest cat so far this year..14.5lb blue on Easter just before dinner.

Attached Files:

10. bone cracker

bone cracker New Member

State:
    iowa
    put in at hayworth yesterday. 57 degree water temp. had lots of worm bites. caught one 5lb channel full of crawdads. hod some bites on sonny's also but no steady action.

11. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I went out Friday night to the nishnabotna and got 6 channels, I caught them off some large chubs live and cut, it was a really nice night all the rain was to the south west and the channels were hungery.

12. bone cracker

bone cracker New Member

State:
    iowa
    are you sitting on the bank? I fished the nish several times and have caught some small channels from the bank but it always seemed like the bigger fish never materialized. i always thought if a guy could use a boat and move around and find some holes he could do really well. not sure what stretch of the nish is even navigable? any info would be appreciated.

13. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Last friday I fished the nish right outside of avoca, I usually go down by hastings and I sometimes fish the east branch up by lewis. When I fish that river I have only had luck at night and the water level has to be up a little, from what I have seen the river is only navigatable by canoe, fish the sand bars and the mouths of tributaries, especially fish the bends were there is cover and that is were there tends to be the deeper holes, really I have had luck just were ever there is a sunken tree or log pushed up by the bank. Sometimes it requires alot of walking, you can look on google earth to narrow it down a little. I have the best luck with live or cut bait on a 8/0 circle or 10/0 J hook. Were abouts do you live?

14. bone cracker

bone cracker New Member

State:
    iowa
    thanks very much for the info. i appreciate it. i had thought about going down by riverton and work my way up the river by boat and see how far i could get. its a good fishermans river in that a guy doesn't have to put up with all the recreational boaters. good luck with your season.

15. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    i know riverton and hamburg have ramps on the nish.. and there is one in watson mo also.. i have heard of some really nice fish out of that river.. a jon boat is the only way you can go on it of course..

16. MO RIVER MAN

MO RIVER MAN New Member

State:
    IOWA
    The nish is a completly differnt river down by hamburg u can run a 50hp full throttle, last year a friend of mine couldn't hold bottom with 8.oz of weight. The water was up a little bit but anyway I know of a lot of 40 plus flatheads taking on throw lines. Use bullheads I'm told.