Missouri River - White Channel Catfish??

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Dave53, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I went out last Sunday and caught two small channels after hours of fishing on the Missouri..then about 2 in the afternoon I had a pole slam down and after a few minutes I had a 8 lb 14 oz white channel in the net. He had two black splotches on each side but the rest of him was white. I don't think he was an albino as his eyes were not pink. I have never caught one that was white that was not albino. Anyone else catch one like this?

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    There was a true albino caught at the Memphis gathering this past weekend. It had the pink. really nice looking fish

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Neat Catch Dave. I have never caught a true albino catfish before, but two years ago I caught a blue that had solid white splotches on his back. I'm not much of a biologist, but i reckon its possible to have some sort of genes mutation whereas partial albinoism is certainly possible. Interesting catch. Cant wait to see the replies on this one.

4. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I took several pictures of it but do not have the ability to post them. I counted the rays and believe this was a channel. First one I ever caught.

5. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    nice catch dave cant wait to see the pics:big_smile:

6. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    About 40 yrs. ago I had an uncle come visit just to fish for what you described. He said they were only found in a portion of the Mo. river. I don't know if they are a subspecies or what but my uncle did catch 2 of them. Never seen one since, but I don't fish the Mo.:tounge_out:

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hey Dave. If you can email them, I'd be more than happy to post them for you.

gatewaycats@yahoo.com

Would love to see the photos

8. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
  9. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Thanks Cuz, I tried and nothing seems to work..I'll just have to wait and drop you off a couple pictures if that is alright with you. I work in the county you live in and pass near you place every couple weeks.

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Dang, next time by you need to stop in and say hello. I live on hwy 67 which comes out of Festus and goes to Farmington. I'm roughly 10 miles or so off of Interstate 55. Let me know next time your coming through.

11. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    No problem..I work in Hillsboro and am in the DeSoto area all the time..I give you a call some time when I see you on the board...

12. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Dave, you did try resizing the pics right? They will not post if they are larger than the maximum size allowed.

13. cat stalker

cat stalker New Member

State:
    missouri
    There is such a thing as partial albinoizm, where it might be all white except the eyes or small dark spots else were. On the opposite end is a trait called Mellanistic where it is completly black, like those black squirrels you see once in a while they are really mellanistic red squirrels.