Missouri River trip last night

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by GUP, Jul 27, 2008.

1. GUP

GUP New Member

State:
    Washington, MO
    I've been reading the posts all week about the fish being caught so I decided I better head out and get in on the action. I got on the water about 6pm. I went to the Washington riverfront but it would've taken an hour to get in the water. I ended up putting in at Beouff Creek which is a little out of the way, but not many people use it. I fished some different spots in the channel until 9pm or so with no hits. I moved to some shallower water and setup. I was kind of watching the debris becasue it had steadily been picking up, but not bad. I had setup behind a dike that was keeping most of the small junk out to the channel. At 12pm the boat took a big hit and the anchor let loose. It wasn't moving fast, but it was moving. A huge tree was stuck on the front of the boat. I got my stuff reeled up, started the motor to hold my ground, and finally got the tree broke free. This kinda shook me up to say the least. I was going to go to another spot that I thought would be more protected. When I got out in the channel it was like playing bumper cars. There were trees and branches everywhere. I was about 10 miles from the ramp, no way I was gonna make there in the dark. I found a nice washout in the bank behind a dike and anchored up for the night. I got up this morning and motored my way back. The river had cleared up some, and it wasn't too bad in the daylight anyway. I ended up catching one samll channel and an asian that jumped in the boat. What a night!

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Sounds like your night started out like mine did the other night. I was almost ready to throw in the towel and call it a night, and now I'm glad I didn't.:eek:oooh: I figured most of the debris would be out of the rivers by now. Heck, I've spent alot of hours on the Mississippi here recently, and there isn't hardly one piece of trash floating anywhere. You might occasionally find some on a hard bend, but that's about it. Well, at least you didnt get skunked!:smile2: If you got time, come on over, and I'll take you out here on the Miss.:wink:

3. GUP

GUP New Member

State:
    Washington, MO
    The Missouri was forecast to be on the rise last night, about 1ft I think. I didn't think it would be a big deal with all the recent high water. You would think as high as the water had been for so long the river would be pretty clean. I just still can't get over how fast and how much debris showed up.
    I'm gonna take you up on that offer...as long as it's a night outing. :cool2: Gotta watch my tan lines.

4. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    I was out on the river yestrday morning and it was terrible. Stuff kept floating into my lines snagging me up constantly.

5. GUP

GUP New Member

State:
    Washington, MO
    C'mon Grumper....won't that dialup go any faster. Your name was at the bottom of the screen 5 minutes ago....

6. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    LMAO!! Yeah, them aluminum boats heat up in a hurry in the sun.:crazy: Actually, I've only done one day trip since the last time you were with me, and I paid dearly for it too. I'm still peeling like a snake still.:eek:oooh: All my trips have all been night trips. Seems like every Friday and Sunday night here lately, I'm on the river.:wink:

7. GUP

GUP New Member

State:
    Washington, MO
    You go out on Sunday nights and then go to work early in the morning? I'm too old for that anymore. My wife is out of town Mondat night. If the river clears up I am going out after work. I'll probably sleep on the boat and get up and go to work. If I can get to sleep by midnight I should be OK. I gotta be at work at 6am. I'll get ahold of you for a night outting in August or early September. I appreciate the offer.:0a31:

8. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Dude, I'm off on Mondays. There ain't no way in he## I'd be fishing all night and going into work. I'm getting old myself.:crazy:

9. Stl-Stitch

Stl-Stitch New Member

State:
    Saint Charles, MO
    Glad you made it back safe.

10. GUP

GUP New Member

State:
    Washington, MO
    Wow Grump! What's the name of the place you work at and where do I get an application? I am up for some of those bankers hours you got!!!!:wink: C'mon down Monday after work Grump, oh yeah you don't work on Monday, be here at 5pm and lets hit the river. We'll set the alarm early enough for you to be at work on time.