Missouri River St. Louis Area

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Spills, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Spills

Spills New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ok guys, thought I would see if you can educate me on the best places to put in on the MO around STL. We were looking at the ramp off of 94 near Hwy 40 in Weldon Springs I think? It's right by Howell Island. Any tips would be appreciated, I'm fairly new to big river fishing. In case you're wondering I'm running a 16 ft jon boat with a 40hp on it.

Thanks fellas.

2. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Not sure about ramps in the area you are in but someone here will help you out. You have plenty of boat and motor. Just be carefull and have a great time on the river. Nothing is better. Love to be out on it.

Tom

3. bluetick1897

bluetick1897 New Member

State:
    missouri
    http://mdc.mo.gov/documents/area_brochures/7404map.pdf
    This is a link to the Weldon springs area. You have to decide for yourself what kind of fishing you want. This is fast water. There is great fishing here but the bigger you want the more you have to use your electronics and deal with current. First and all important is get good FRESH bait(Thrownet) Then find ledges...sandbar, wingdikes, shoals. What I have found is not to make long casts into the holes but to put my bait short into where there is a current break. Also do some research on drift fishing. It can become your number 1 style when you figure out the pattern.

4. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    are there any spots close to that ramp that produce good bait? I read in another post about a small creek up river from the ramp?

5. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    The river is to low to get in that creek right now.Just go behind wing dikes for bait.That whole stretch of river there is awsome.It's been a little tuff here lately.Good luck!!!:big_smile: