Missouri River @ St. Joe 2008

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Bigbluefisherman, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Craig and I went out today north of St. Joe. Ended up with a few small channel cats, the biggest only a couple #s. The weather was half way decent for a change. It is just good to be out again! Hopefully the cold weather is just about over. I am ready to chase the big blues. Did anyone else have any luck this weekend?

2. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Good to see ya opened the Saint Joseph thread. Started on the boat sunday got the interior gutted. Might be more work than I expected, but I think I will like it when its done. It will probably be awhile before I get to go out.

Keep us posted on how you do.

3. Bigbluefisherman

State:
    Missouri
    Todd,

Let me know if you need a hand...I would be willing to come help you out.

Matt

4. Todd Strong

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    When I get things lined out, I'll give ya a call. Have to get the aluminum cut and welded for the console and live well first. Already cut and fit drivers console.

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Ya putting in at French Bottoms?

Bank fished there,did better on drum than cats.

6. Bigbluefisherman

State:
    Missouri
    I put in at french bottoms most of the time....but I also put in at nodaway and sometimes evan contrary creek. I have caught quite a few nice cats in the St. Joe area.

7. catchase

catchase New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey guys nice to see St. Joe on here. i have only fished the MO 3 times all last year in the heat of the summer on a 17 ft bass tracker. we really had no idea where to fish. we ended up behing the trail dams where the water was slow and fairly shallow. looks like we need to learn how to hold the boat up in front of wing dams with longer anchor ropes. i am getting my 16 ft river john flat bottom ready for this year. i have a 25HP johnson on it. Will that be enough power? we always put in south of st joe. can't remember the name of the ramp. Any help on the river would be great.

8. Bigbluefisherman

State:
    Missouri
    Jeff,

Sure 16ft with a 25ph motor will be fine...thats what I started out in. Depending on what you are after, will depend on where you want to fish. If you want to catch flatheads, behind the wing dykes is a good place to find them, fish with live bait. Blue cats like faster water. Fish for them along the channel side where the water is moving. Use cut bait for blues. Channel cats...you can catch just about anywhere, use whatever you can find that stinks to catch them. I will look for you whenever I'm out and about this summer. I have a 17 ft roughneck with a 90 hp mercury on it, if you see me stop and say hi.

Matt

9. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    GOOD POST, MIGHT HAVETO HEAD UP TO BUCH. COUNTY.

10. catchase

catchase New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Matt.....

11. KEITH GRUMMEL

KEITH GRUMMEL New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    did anyone go out yeasterday? We didnt have any luck just wanted to see what they were biting on.

12. KEITH GRUMMEL

KEITH GRUMMEL New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    WHATS A GOOD BAIT FOR THIS TIME OF THE YEAR ON THE MISSOURI RIVER. I JUST STARTED RIVER FISHING LAST YEAR, I MAINLY FISH PONDS OR LAKES. I AM STILL PRETTY GREEN AT THE RIVER.

13. Todd Strong

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Fresh cut shad seems to work the best now.

14. Bigbluefisherman

State:
    Missouri
    Todd said it right....Shad is best this time of year.

15. Todd Strong

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Is anyone going out this weekend, Sunday looks to be a decent day to hit the missouri. The long range forecast looks to be little warmer than it has been for a long period of time.

16. KEITH GRUMMEL

KEITH GRUMMEL New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    I may go out on sunday afternoon and put a couple of poles in the water.

17. Todd Strong

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Now they have changed the forecast for Sunday :crazy: to partly cloudy and a high of 39. :angry:

18. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    yes, but next wed. 63 and sunny. Might just have to put the boat in the water.

19. Todd Strong

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Sounds good Dave, But they changed the forecast to a little. I think I will work on the boat this weekend.

20. Bigbluefisherman

State:
    Missouri
    This weather drives me nuts...hopefully this is the last shot of crappy weather for the winter. Things are looking up for next week.

Todd,

How is the boat coming along?