Missouri River Report- Fishing For Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by mspratt, Aug 12, 2006.

1. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sunday, August 6th, 4pm, Put boat in at Nodaway island boat ramp. Had a live well full of bluegill and perch.River on a very slow raise,temp 94+,calling for thunderstorms tonite.Headed up river to the rocked bend just down from paynes landing on the mo side.Set up the rods,20min wait and wam clicker starts to clickin, rod a bouncing.8# channel cat(CR) hit a live bluegill,The biggest channel I think that I caught on the MO river.15min latter caught a 3# channel (was going to keep it for a eater but died in the live well over nite for some reason)...Cooked up some supper and moved down river to set up for the night in a spot just up from where the coast guard boys cut down some trees around a daymarker sign and the tops of the trees are in the water.Got set up,around 10pm here comes the rain and its rainin hard,Will a rod starts to bouncing 10min later boated a 25# flathead(CPR)in the pouring down rain,no more bites the rest of the night.Monday 6am made ham and eggs and moved down below the trees on the rocked bend and bam 8# bluecat, no more bites.Floated on down river to sin city camp ground. Let buddy have bluecat(he's going to have a fish fry some day?)Drank a few beers with the sinners at sin city and about 6pm headed back up river to set up for the night flathead ambush.Set up just below a crick in a small cove,on the bend,Kansas side.Cook up some supper,made coffee(with irish cream),Had to rebait alot because the gar were working the cove.Around dark the gar moved out This cove is not deep water,I set my bait in 3 to 6 foot of water right in the current seem.There calling for rain again tonite,But the moon is out and allmost full....Fall asleep....at 2am it starts raining,I don't have my side windows on so get up to zip them in,WAM the clicker starts to clickin and the rod a bouncing,engage reel,the fight is on 20min,,,,,,,,52# flathead in the boat(CPR).Rebait but no more bites.Tuesday up with the sun,make coffee(irish cream)hardboil some eggs,then down river to fish the outside bends on the rocks,no luck....9:30am I'm on the mo side were the mo conservation came in and cut the banks up and made 4 or 5 small islands(something about restoring wet lands anyway while going thought here I spot 3 large fish on the finder on the outside,fast current,of this island 7,8 feet deep then a drop off to 17foot deep these fish were hanging right over the drop off. Move the boat up some from drop off, tie up get one rod out ,start to get another ready when BAM the clicker a goin and the rod a bouncing,engage and the fight is on 25min fight in this fast current,boat a 30# flathead(CPR)this was at noon.:lol: All these fish where caught on live bait, circle hooks with 10 to 18inch leaders,using no roll flat sinkers,swivels,with reels in freespool and clickers on.All in all not a bad two days and nights of fishin (126#)The river came up by thursday to almost 10foot at St joe and is on the way back down they say there going to hold it at 7 foot.The flathead fishin this year has been good to me. Back in may I caught a 42#flathead.So I have broke my best wieght flathead 2 times this year.My biggest was a 37# that i caught back in 2000 up from brownville neb right across from TJ cabin.Will post pics of these fish soon...........Your humble servant beartrap and buoy.........Keep ur nose to the wind ur powder dry and ur hull wet:cool2:

2. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Great narrative! Appreciate the detailed information and sounds like you had a great time! Chris

3. daniel472001

daniel472001 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congrats on the big flatheads. Excellent reporting.