Missouri River or Bust

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by just cats, Nov 24, 2006.

1. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Couple of weeks ago I tossed some rocks along the drop off at the edge of the New Haven ramp and went down again a couple days ago to pile up some more trying to make a rough slope from the concrete to the bottom. In the meantime someone else had added a few more and then I added a few more and I believe if I'm careful I can launch my boat there now. Going to find out for sure one way or the other tomorrow.Can't stand it no more, I'm getting on the water or bust something trying. I'll let you know if I succeed or not. Weather is supposed to be great tomorrow and I know there can't be too many more 65 degree days left this winter .Pass this weekend up and I'll be kicking myself in the butt the rest of the winter. And I got a feeling in my big toe that it's gonna be a big fish day. :big_smile: :crazy:

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I know what ya mean Jack...it was really nice out there today. I guess a lot of folks feel that way because there was considerable more traffic on the lake today shaking things up:confused2: ....LOL. Good Luck Buddy, hope ya catcha a big'n!:wink:

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Good luck, Jack - hope you can get the boat launched.

I spent the day out on the Missouri with my 9-year-old son and didn't come up with much - we did get into a nest of small channel cats in a deep hole behind a cut wing dyke - the action was fast and furious for a while, but all of them put together wouldn't make one decent blue cat...

Shad was easy to find in any slack water. They were small but plentiful.

Let us know how your day goes!

4. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    Yea......Went out the wednesday ....temp 65 by 1pm.. Didn't even have to use the heater...Ramp at nodaway good to go.Speaking of ramps, the MCD is going to extend the ramps at paynes and nodaway island. think there already working at paynes,havn't been to check, just what I have heard.The river was glass smooth,sand bars go on for ever. Took some worms and wicked sticky and like u said the holes behind the dikes where full of small chanels.Out till dark,great sunset,great day..:big_smile:

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Good Luck Jack, I hope You Catch a boat load full.If I don't go wet a line perty soon I will be going into Relaps. Your friend J.D.
    :big_smile_2: :big_smile_2: :big_smile_2:

6. davemo

davemo New Member

State:
    mo
    Hope ya have good fishing today just cats.I live up river from ya at hermann and yep the river is mighty low here too.As u may know they are in the process of putting in a new mo river bridge up here so i guess the low curreent and water levels are good for them>i am looking forward to seeing what they are gonna do with the bridge pilings concrete etc when they dismantle the old one hope they leave some in the water for structure.Give us a post on how ya do i am anxious to know.

7. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Thanks guys,
    Drove to New Haven today and was met with a Good News / Bad News deal. Bad news was I couldn't use the ramp, the good news is that the reason I couldn't use it was that they are in the process of extending it. At least I think that's what they're doing. They've dumped a lot of three to five inch rock off the end of the ramp and have built a rock gravel levee around the end. No one was around to talk to but I imagine they intend to toss a pump in the water inside the levee and pump it dry and pour some concrete, at least I hope thats what they plan on doing. Can't think of any other reason to have done that.. But I drove on down river to Washington just to check it out and saw where someone had launched earlier . They had backed down the ramp and then just before reaching the end had cranked the trailer sideways and launched just off the side of the ramp . I looked it over and decided I'd give it a try and I did. Little spooky but didn't have any problems except when I got out this evening I spun the tires a bit on the truck but it wasn't too bad. I had three bites all day, All of them just a tap tap and gone. I used fresh cut shad and frozen cut carp. Got two hits on the shad and one on the carp. Not a good day as far as the fishing but I was just happy to get on the water. Beautiful day out there weather wise and lot's of neat stuff to see now with the water so low. It was minus 2.7 ft on the Washington gage today. Sandbars are endless and lot's of rock dikes I've never seen the tops of before. Found a couple real interesting cutback pockets that I intend to try out when the river comes back up. Anyway, just a nice day to be on the water in spite of the fish not co-operating. And I have found a way to launch this winter so that alone made it a good day.:big_smile: