Missouri River on the rise!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by just cats, Nov 29, 2006.

1. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Just checked the NOAA river level site and there's some water coming down from some where. Supposed to be +.6 ft on Washington gage by this weekend . It's minus 2.5 ft now, almost a two foot rise. I wouldn't bet a nickle it'll last more than a day or two and I'm working Saturday but I plan to go on Sunday if the weather isn't too terrible and the roads are driveable. Predicting some nasty stuff tomorrow for here though. But cloudy and dry for the weekend, just cold is all. Need to dig out my thermal gear and get ready. Feel like a kid at Christmas, never thought I get excited about the river level being .6 ft!:crazy: :smile2:

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Good luck Jack! You're going to freeze your butt off!

3. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Its pouring rain here,and supposed to turn to sleet then 6 to 10 inches of snow.Time to get the snow shovel out.

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    nice to hear the Mo. is gonna jump up, but I got roosters on the brain right now!

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Jack I was up to My cabin on the Missouri river by Onawa Iowa yesterday on My day off from work and the river was up about two foot. they had some rain up river and maybe that had something to do with it. Also gavins point dam which is the first dam up river is .60 hundreds from full pool and maybe there releasing some water. J.D.
    :0a18:

6. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Just checked the site again and it's predicted to come up even more , will be well over a three foot rise all together. But since last night it's rained, froze, rained and froze some more, sleeted and still sleeting and wild predictions of anywhere from three to ten inches of snow tonight and tomorrow. Doesn't look like I'll be backing down any ramps this weekend no matter what the river level is. :angry: Wish we had some of those roosters around here Brad, but I'll maybe try to jump a few ducks off the creeks around here this weekend. This weather has probably brought some down here. You're right Doug, it would have been a cold seat in the john boat, but I never did have enough brains to let that stop me, someday maybe I'll figure it out. Sure glad to hear that Gavins Point is at full pool J.D. I thought everything up river was way low, that's what we've been hearing down here. That's some good news.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Gavins Point is full, but only because the COE releases water from upstream to keep it full.

The reservoirs farther up from Gavins Point are still incredibly low -- Oahe, Ft. Garrison and Peck are all sitting at between 55% and 60% of capacity.... It'll take a lot of water and a very wet winter to bring things back to "normal"...

Found this web page in one of my never-ending searches - it a daily summary of all the reservoirs that feed the Missouri River:
    http://www.nwd-mr.usace.army.mil/rcc/reports/showrep.cgi?3MRDTAP7

Once all this snow we're getting around here melts, you boys downstream should see a pretty healthy rise in the Missouri for at least a few days...

8. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Gavins point stopped releasing a few months ago,ending the barge season....will not be releasing till next year.

9. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri

Thanks for the link Marty, just added it to my favorites list. How does Gavins Point rate to get to keep all that water?

10. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    They cut back but didn't shut it off -- if they stopped releasing water, the river would run dry!

Gavins Point is the last dam until the Missouri runs into the Mississippi and is one of the major flood control points for all of the Missouri River downstream from there.

They're releasing about 15000 CFS currently, up from around 12000 CFS last week. The current and forecast release rates are at the top of this web page, updated daily: http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/water_reports/lakepool.fct

During the barge season, they're required to release significantly more water at Gavins Point to maintain the shipping channel at a minimum depth all the way down to the Mississippi; the upstream reservoirs have no choice but to release water to keep Gavins Point full. I read somewhere that Gavins Point would drain in just a few days if not for the upstream releases.

It's lakes like Oahe and Garrison that really pay the price -- Oahe is 34 ft below its "normal" level and Garrison is about 29 ft low. And that pits the sportsmen and businesses up there against the sportsmen and commercial interests on the lower Missouri River in a constant battle -- we want the water and they don't want to release it...

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Your absolutley correct,my fingers and brain don't always connect.:embarassed: