Missouri River Near St. Louis - Need some Info

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by BKS72, Jun 18, 2007.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm over in the KC area and my dad lives in East Central IL. St. Louis is about halfway between us and I'm trying to set up a surprise fishing trip for him on the MO river near St. Louis for the last weekend in July or beginning of August depending on the weather and the river. My stepmom is my "inside man" as far as letting me know his work schedule and everything, but I need some info on a boat ramp on the West side of St. Louis and any tips or cautions regarding the MO down that way would be appreciated. I fish it pretty hard in my area, but not sure how much different it is over East.

Dad's been out my way a few times to fish the MO wtih me, but he seems to be kind of cursed (this year he got here just in time for the surprise Easter cold snap). If we can meet up closer to each of us it's not so disapointing if we don't get on some fish. He doesn't have any big water close to him so he's never had the chance to get a decent (or any) blue. It would be great to put him on a nice fish or two. Thanks in advance for your help!

2. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri

3. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    I ahve done OK fishing wing dams off north of the 5th street launch. That is downtown St Charles, free to use and easy to get to. It holds fish, that is for sure. But, the flood this year may have moved things around a bit.

CP

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    You could always put at Columbia Bottoms, it is just west of the confluence...that way you could fish either the Missouri or the Mississippi. I have had success on both.

Columbia Bottoms ramp is just north of I-270, take the Riverview exit and go north until you see the conservation sign. The ramp is always clean and the parking lot is usually lit up at night.

If you plan on putting in there let me know and I'll tell you where I normally catch fish!

5. dust_stl

dust_stl New Member

State:
    Missouri
  6. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    Last July Catmankev and I put in at Columbia Bottoms and someone had broke into several vehicles there and tried to get into ours.So be careful its not well patrolled.:angry:

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Guys, thanks for all the info. River-Rat, I may take you up on the offer. I'm assuming the river there is similar to here with dykes and flats, but any advice on a new stretch would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Branden

8. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT

Sorry to hear that...I have put in there a couple of times this year and I think that St Louis County Police have recieved enough complaints cause each time I've been there, I've seen a patrol car rolling thru. Stolib, you can also put in at Melvin Price Dam (which is on the Mississippi) and boat down to the confluence, its about a 10-15 minute boat ride for me(I have a 90hp Yamaha) I have never had a problem in that parking lot either. Just let me know and I'd be more than happy to share what I know.

9. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Another option that is a little further west than the others is the Weldon Springs launch. It is located just across the St. Charles County line (about 20 miles west of the city). It is a nice launch and you should not have any problems there like getting your vehicle broken into.

It is in a nice stretch of the river and offers a lot of options (deep holes, wing dams and flats) for fishing and if drifting is your thing it is particularly nice for that.

Again--if you are gonna make the trek give me a heads up and I will fill you in with some local knowledge.

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    DWB, thanks for the head's up on Weldon Springs. I've heard the name, didnt' realize it was that far East.

River Rat, what's the Miss like? I know it's a LOT bigger than the MO and I probably won't get out on it other than maybe to boat down the MO to it and turn a circle just to say I've been on it:smile2: I want to fish it one of these days, but for this trip I think I'll stick to what I'm comfortable with. I may reach out to you one day for some lessons on boating the Mississipi, though.

Thanks again you guys for all the good information!

Branden

11. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT

Branden, if you've boated the Missouri you can DEFINITLY boat the Mississippi! Right there at the confluence up to the Melvin Price Dam it's pretty similar to the Missouri. Above the Melvin Price Dam it's more like a great big lake with a slow steady current. I have spent hours upon hours on both rivers and they are quite similar, the Missouri seems to have more wing dykes though, but that is just my opinion.

12. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Does anybody know if there are skipjack to be caught at Chain of rocks or Alton dam? Thinking about breaking out the spinning rods this weekend.

13. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    I may be reading into your post a bit, but don’t assume that bigger is more dangerous. I personally find the Miss River more manageable than the Mo River. I like the slower water and open space on the Miss River (more like a lake than a river, I think). The Mo River moves you so quickly and has so much more texture that I get skittish. I have a 20’ deep V, and like plenty of room around me. Also, the barges are OK where I am at north of the confluence. Just like big slow islands moving along. Easy to avoid as long as you go slow and easy too.

Try going in a buddy's boat who knows the Miss, and you may find the same thing. I have taken out at least one guy this year who has said that the Miss is more manageable in real life than he assumed before he went.

CP

14. bck1006

bck1006 New Member

State:
    Missouri

I fish at Weldon Springs all the time and we do really well out there.Last year we pulled 4 fish over 50 pounds and numerous fish over 20 pounds.It is full of 5-10 pound fish if you are wanting to fill your freezer.You have to do a lot of scouting to find the right spots.If you want to meet up I would be happy to take you out and show you around.I will also show you a few spots that are very productive.Thanks

15. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Guys, thanks, yeah, I was assuming the Miss would be more challenging because of the barge traffic and I'm still trying to figure out how you navigate on it since it seems too wide to see the bank markers on the other side. Of course, I guess if it's wider, there's not as much need to stay in the groove like there is on the MO. CP and RR, once the trip gets closer and we set a date, I'll shoot you guys a PM and see if you're going to be fishing while we're there. If you don't mind showing a rookie the ropes on the Miss I'd appreciate it. Dad (and me) would really get a kick out of fishing on the big river.

DWB/BCK, same thing, once we decide where we're going, I'll shoot you guys a PM and maybe we can do some fishing.

It's all up in the air right now, not sure of Dad's work schedule and I travel a lot with my job, so it may be a little bit before I can get a time pinned down.

Thanks for the info and help!

Branden

16. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    They use navigation bouys a lot. The upper Mississippi is a lot more impressive & scenic than the Missouri. Depending on where you put in at from the Missouri shore you may have to go out a 1/2 mile and around some islands before you even get in sight of the navigation channel.:lol:

17. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    This newbie agrees with the swordsmen and ninja's of the world. Last year was my first time on both rivers and it only took a trip to get rid of the jitters on the Mississippi. I'm comfortable navigating that stretch between the confluence and Melvin Price at night as well. My only difficulty was when one of these midwest summer storms blew up the Mississippi. The waves were out of control for a few minutes, but quickly subsided when the storm passed. I have a 17.5 foot deep V lund and I had to make sure to keep the bow in the waves -- at least that's what it felt like. The Missouri gives me much more heartache as I can never remember where all of the dikes are -- especially at night. Since you are seasoned river guy, the Mississippi should be cake.

I'm still waiting to here from my BOC brethren about the stretch of the river below st. louis. Where do I put in, where do I go???? Or should I not even bother.

18. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    You would be more than welcome to daisy chain along with my boat. Let me know, I will give you a hand. No promises on the fish, but I feel like I know my little 6 miles of water pretty well by now.

CP

19. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Thanks for the offer, CP, I'll probably take you up on it. No worries on the fish, if you could guarantee fish I'd move to St. Louis and pay you to be my permanent fishing partner:big_smile: I'd just like to get the old man out for a long weekend on the MO and the Miss. I think his best on a rod and reel is around 10 pounds so it wouldn't take a real hog to make his day.

G, yeah, the MO can be kind of hairy at night. Took Crazy and FishingBuddy from the board to get me trained on the river after dark. I still wasn't really comfortable on it until I upgraded to a depthfinder with GPS. Makes night (or even better foggy night) trips a lot less nerve wracking.

Micus, yeah, that's my big insecurity:smile2: On the MO, I can generally see both banks and it's fairly simple to find where you want to fish when the river's only a couple of hundred yards wide....

I can't thank you guys enough for the info and the invites, I'll be in touch in the next couple of weeks when we figure out which weekend we'll be over.

Branden