Missouri River near Columbia

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by TeamCatHazzard, Feb 16, 2006.

1. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just wondering if anyone frequents this part of the Missouri River around Columbia, MO. Maybe Providence Access or somewhere. I go to school out here and was wanting to start fishing this area more religiously. My home waters are in Alton, IL but would love to learn more about the Missouri river around here. Ive been out a few times have a really hard time finding bait out here. Any help from anyone or anything would really be appreciated. I will have my boat out here later this spring when it warms up so if someone wants to get together and fish I have a 21' SeaArk with a 135 Optimax so I would love to meet some local river fishers out here.

2. cheeseheadking

cheeseheadking New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've never fished the Missouri near Columbia, but I do fish it in the Kansas City area. I do know that if your fishing off the bank, make sure you have enough weight to sink it through the current. We tend to use 6 to 8 ounce weights. Try to find a wing dyke, they make a good area to fish. Good luck. If I'm ever in that area I'll send you a message and maby we can get together.

3. wayne7009

wayne7009 New Member

State:
    miller missouri
    it sure sounds like alot of fun good luck up there

4. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC. I have a 20 foot Polar Craft center console with a 90 Tahotsu and have fished the Missouri around the Boonville area, 20 miles or so upstream. for the last couple of years. Have caught a lot of small channels and blues. I have had about the same amount of luck whether fishing upstream or downstream from the end of the rock dikes. The area where the Lamine River joins the Missouri has also been good to me. This year I am going to try and concentrate on catching bigget fish. It will be a learning process, I'm sure! Good luck fishing the MO around Columbia.

5. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Rob if you fish Providence go down stream, I still remember as a kid my grandfather absolutely loved fishing Providence. He always took me with him. I also remember him taking us upstream to bottom out on a huge underwater boulder, thats was a scary experience that I have not forgotten for 50 years.

6. TeamCatHazzard

State:
    Illinois
    itch yea from the providence access go downstream towards the missouri you mean right? upstream on perche creek my boat is waay to big for. I have been out once or twice on the mo both up and down stream from perche creek and have caught a few but nothing great. thanks for the info guys

7. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Rob, yes go towards the Missouri, I don't know what its like now but back then my grandfather use to catch some REALLY nice cats in there. Best of luck to ya.

8. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Rob I am not sure how familiar you are with the area but I suggest you look into the Osage River. I have read some interesting articles on 100lb Blues coming out of there. Lake of the Ozarks and Truman are also places you might want to check out if your looking for big cats.Best of Luck Bro.

9. TeamCatHazzard

State:
    Illinois
    Itch yea I wouldnt mind trailerin down there and trying that out. I have heard of some really great fish coming out of that river and wouldnt mind tryin it. Thought about it just never got around to it. Thanks!