Missouri River multi species?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Steveng79, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Steveng79

Steveng79 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I just started fishing the missouri river from a boat. Can you catch bass on the river, if so, when and where? I have caught crappie from the bank as a kid but is this common and what are the target areas?

Thanks for the help.

2. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have caught just about every species you can think of on the MO river in a throw net while catching bait. But I would not have a clue where to catch bass. When I was younger me and a couple buddies of mine were fishing from the bank and saw a guy fishing at the mouth of a creek out of a bass boat across the river, he came over to us to BS for a bit and come to find out he was Walleye fishing. He had 3 in his live well that he showed us, I knew they were in the river but had never heard of anyone fishing for them. I would say there is a way to catch bass on the MO River, but I am not real sure where a guy should start.

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I would imagine some of the bigger feeder creeks and rivers with less current would hold some of the other species.

4. Steveng79

Steveng79 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks. I am betting the smaller feeder creeks would be good for crappie. Anyone had luck with that?

5. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I will tell you, in the early spring when the river is up above normal, I tend to catch a bunch of crappie in the net up in the creeks.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've seen 2 crappie, 1 largemouth bass, and quite a few wipers and white bass caught on rod and reel. Considering how much I fish the river that's not very good odds, but to be fair I don't really spend time targeting those species. My guess is that fishing the river for bass and crappie would be an exercise in patience.

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Kinda like catfishing sometimes, eh?:roll_eyes:

8. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Goten bass on top waters and spinners in the still water behind dikes, Catch a lot of nice white bass and a few nice hibrids and even a 6 lb pure strain striper at the mouth of the gasconade. You can get walleyes and sauger out of the river mouths on the mo in spring and fall tight line fishen with minnows.

9. bluetick1897

bluetick1897 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Backwater sloughs, behind dikes, creeks, and behind islands will produce bass and crappie. Road runners and crankbaits work well. The cool thing is that you have no idea what your gonna catch. Drum will jerk the rod out of your hand. Lots of small to medium channel cats also. White bass and walleye are pretty common too. They all seem to fight much harder in the river in comparison to their lake counterparts so hang on! If you catch one chances are they are schooled up so keep hitting it.

10. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    As said before, Target the back water and up feeder creeks, I have done pretty good so far. What I do is target a brush pile under or above the water near the current. Drop a black and chartruese jig by itself or tipped with a minnow, close as you can to the structure and just let the minnow swim, or just jig the jig a little in one spot. Lots of crappie:roll_eyes:

11. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I have a cousin that likes to hit the wolf river, just a few miles up from the mouth, just days after big rains for bass. He says that they get washed out of the ponds and lakes and hold up in the holes to escape the current. He just uses worm and bobber.

12. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    It is an exercise in patience Gary but can be a hoot… :wink: I got away these last couple of years from bringing my crappie rod along because my time was limited to be out there and have been targeting blues… my last time out I brought it along as well some minnows and plan on doing so through May… feeder creeks and some back water is what I target for river crappie… they are in small schools and travel a lot which makes them an elusive target… I try to incorporate a small time in these areas to dip some minnows, it’s a blast, you can catch about everything other than blues in those areas… in the early fall that scenario will move to snags off the main channel… let’s just say with light tackle and never knowing what you’ll find is a lot of fun… Doing this, I’ve caught flatheads, channels, drum, crappie, bluegill, dogfish and a lot of baitfish like mooneye to skipjack… oh yeh, then there’s the incidental fish that the good Lord created to feed the flatheads with called bass… I’ve mostly caught mostly smallies over largemouth bass… I would recommend to anyone who enjoys the river to enhance their experience by dipping some minnows or even worms in the snags or backwater structure areas… Ya never know what might be there waiting.:cool2:

13. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
  14. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i think he's talking about that flathead bait that no one uses so non-catfishermen have something to fish for:smile2::smile2::smile2:

15. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
  16. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Heres a finished mount of my 15" White Crappie I caught a couple weeks ago in the Meramec backwater.

I took the original fish and molded it, then casted the fish in resin and painted it ( A Replica ) It will now last forever.

Cant wait for a Big Blue it will get the same treatment:wink:

17. DoubleD

DoubleD New Member

State:
    MO
    I think one of the most exciting things about fishing a river is that you never know what you are going to hook up with. One of the most interesting fish I've caught out of the Missouri was an eel, at the time I didn't realize they were in the Missouri, it was quite a surprise

18. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    That mount looks GREAT! Did it yourself eh?
    You'll have to show me the EXACT spot you caught that beauty some day:wink:

In all seriousness, this is a GREAT thread. Fishing for something other than cats on the river has been a goal of mine for some time now and I intend to do it this year. Hey, if the cats are not on the bite perhaps something else is. I'd be interested in hooking up to go fishing sometime with someone who knows these back holes in the river.

19. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Hey, DWB

Nothing to it !

Find slack water just off the current or flooded timber just like catfishing.

Drop a jig down and see what happens.

Not all fish on the depth finders are cats:smile2: