Missouri River/ Mississippi River?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by MRR, May 12, 2006.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    just Where Does The Mo Dump Into The Missip At. My Neighbor Said That He Heard On The News Last Night That They Was Going To Flood The Mo. River Because Of The Sturgeon Fish. Any One Else Heard That? And Where Are They Going To Get The Water In Order To Flood It.

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Umm I would figure the only reasonable answer to where they would get the water from. Would be from the lakes up in south dakota,montana and so forth. Either that or they are getting a really big pump and just circulate the water like an aquarium. As for where the missouri dumps into the miss at.. well that would be a town named st.louis.

3. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    the miss and mo meet a few miles below melvin price dam in alton and a few miles up from the chain of rocks columbia bottoms is a conservation area where they meet. its right at the notrtheast tip of st louis county.
    dont know how they are going to flood it though.

4. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    there are some dams on the upper mo around the dakotas but i dont know if they could possibly release enough water to "flood" it all the way down here in st louis.

5. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    good post T, i thought i was going to have to leave the boc. i didnt think them dams up there would do much around here. the article said about a foot so that isnt much of a fluctuation. but i say if the people up north want to keep their water, let them have it. im out on the missouri all the time, and right now it doesnt seem to be threatening the wildlife. if they are having drought conditions they need it.

6. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Very interesting stories indeed!! I'll always have an elevated interest in Sturgeon, as I grew up in CA and used to fish with my Dad for White Sturgeon all the time. We used to catch them regularly up to 75 lbs or so.

Seems like a lot of stink over just a one foot rise though. I hope it does benefit the pallid sturgeon like they are hoping. I don't want to see the fishing spoiled elsewhere because of them releasing the water though. Sounds like they cut back quite a bit compared to what they originally planned.

Isn't it mind boggling, to consider just "HOW MUCH" additional water has to come down in order to raise the level 1 foot?!?

7. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    Thats a lot of water for a foot, and if I hadn't seen it here I probably wouldn't have even noticed. I hope it works for the stugeon.

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :0a25: :0a20: HEY MO.BOW HTR WELCOME TO THE BOC. GREAT CLUB FULL OF INFROMATION. YOU SAY YOU NOTICED THE MO. UP. HAVE THEY STARTED THE FLOODING STAGE OR WHAT. REASON I ASK THIS IS WE PUT OUR CAMPER ON THE MISSISSIPPI AND DON'T REALLY WANT TO HAVE TO PULL IT BACK OUT. DONE THAT 3 TIMES 2 YEARS AGO. THAT GETS OLD QIUCK. WHAT PART OF MO. DO YOU HALE FROM. HOPE YOU HAVE GREAT LUCK FISHING THIS YEAR.

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    MRR...I know the missouri is pretty high right now but it is normal this time of year from all the rain. The two mighty rivers meet just north of downtown St Louis below the melvin price lock and dam which spans the mississippi from Alton IL and West Alton in St Charles county.