Missouri River & Live Bait

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Mr.T, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Those of you who use live bait (bluegill, goldfish, whatever) on the Mighty Missouri:

How do you hook the bait to keep it alive in the current? Any need to trim the tail fins or anything like that?

2. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Mr T with gold fish I use a circle hook through the eyes and it stays alive a long time and with creek chubs up through the bottom lip and gills through the eye.

3. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I use a lot of goldfish, shad, and all types or perch or bream as some call them and in current I hook all types by putting the hook in their mouth and out the top side through a nostril. It's tricky with the goldfish as they will close their mouth and make it difficult to insert the hook. The perch and goldfish will live all night long usually when hooked like this unless you miss the nostril and accidently go too far back into the head. If the hook comes out ahead of the nostril they will probably be cast off if you are throwing very far. the shad are more fragile and usually die after a time . Believe it or not I have taken many goldfish off after setting out all night hooked like this and put them back in the bait tank and used em again the following weekend. I know that lot's of guys do the through the eyes thing so I'm sure it must work, just can't bring myself to do it.

4. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Forgot to mention, I use 7/0 Kahles and I have never found a need to trim fins or tails or anything like that. I want my live bait able to make as much movement as it possibly can/ and I'm pretty sure a hungry cat isn't going to need any help catching a hooked up bait fish on a ten inch tether. Good fishin.

5. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    what do you guys think of fish hooked through the tail? is their drawbacks to it? i usually do this but from the sounds of it i should be hooking through eyes or lip. to me it sounds like it would be easier for them to rip off if they are hooked through the mouth, or eyes.

6. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    We are talking about fishing in current. If you hooked a bait through the tail and cast him into the current he would drown very quickly. But in slack water, out of strong current then under the dorsal fin or back in the tail is where most people hook them.

7. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Excellent point about drowning them Jack.

I many times lost fish because I wasnt hooking up by head (hooking at or near tail). I was just feeding them-not catching them.
    Since changing to only a head hook, I rarely miss them.
    Was finding thet esp. big flatheads would bite and carry to cover before devouring. if tail hooked then I lost them on hookset.

8. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    james, actually, I don't prefer to hook them in the head. I really prefer hooking them through the back, just under the dorsal fin.......except when I am fishing in fairly heavy current. \In strong current, if hooked anywhere but the head they will get pulled backwards, sideways , everywhich way but like they should be and they can't breath too well with the current pulling their gills open and water pouring through their mouths backwards plus they take a beating being tossed around so much by the current, so they end up dieing pretty quickly. This has been my experience anyway. But as I said, in slack water or very slow current I always hook em through the back. I really think I hook more fish with my bait hooked that way than through the head.I only use the head hook up when in the fast water. Sorry I didn't make myself very clear, I'm known for that. But you like the headset all the time it sounds like . We all have different experiences out their and we all need to do what works for us. Good fishin to ya.

9. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    I usually hook all of my bait either threw the tail twice or threw the back once, this method keeps them alive for a LONG time and they are still active later on.

10. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    In strong currant I use bluegill and hook it thru the small of the tail with an 8/0 circle. Hooking thru the tail keeps them from tangling. In slow currants, I bait mostly under the front of the dorsal fin, depending on the bait placement. This year 90 percent of my fishing has been with live bait and very good results, had to experiment alot to see what works when and where.

11. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Had experience several years back fall fishing flatheads in holes where I graphed this big fish ( I figured over 50 based on arch), tossed my 18inch skippie over side of boat and WHAM! he hammered the bait-immediatly snaged me. I was not in good boat position. Worked for an hour to free it but finally had to cut.

Went back that night and graphed arch again, set up, this time at wing dike and after 3 min or so he hit my shad (tail hook-10/0) and set hook and missed it!
    Few minutes later came to head of hole took bait and I let it run for few yards, set hook and same thing again! Now I just fed him 2-big skippies and it wouldnt bite again. Appeared it was full.
    I floated over the heavy wood and saw it tucked way under, but it wasnt hungry any more.
    I sat on that hole til sun up (6 hrs later) and soon as day broke-it hit again and did same thing-lost on hookset.

Went home, talked with some friends and figured the fish was smart enough to hit bait and not devour til it felt comfortable back under cover.

Next night I hooked skippie up at head and got that fish! Was 56lb flathead.
    Ever since then I am reluctant to tail hook when close to cover-snag as I think big fish take advantage of heavy cover like this.

12. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This has all been very interesting and informative.I enjoyed all the answers you guys gave.Walk in peace brothers------------PatPowell:big_smile:

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    You guys have pretty much covered all the pros and cons on hook placement. Great informative post. One thing I didnt see we should keep in mind, Catfish will eat large fish head first. That way the fins lay back when they swallow it. If they consumed the baits tail first the dorsal barbs would stand up and lodge in the fishes throat. In my opinion, if the hook is in the head area you have a better chance of a hook up, especially if you lose large baits. That being said, I do know the really large flats will drag there "catch" to cover then eat it. The blues are pigs and usually inhale and go. I've caught a few flats lately, and I've definitely noticed they are real finicky eaters and tend to take there time, so I've develped the habit of letting them pull quite a bit of line out before crossing there eyes and that seem to have helped my hook ups. Good Post guys/gals.

14. lmcguire

lmcguire Member

State:
    missouri
    Hello,
    I had an old timer tell me a while back to run the hook through the mouth of the bait then out the gill and hook him back by the tail.this allows the bait to stay on and the line coming out of the mouth keeps him straight in the current allowing him to live longer. we have tried this and it seems to work pretty well on most bait.goldfish have to be pretty big to use this method.

good luck fishing!

15. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    It seems like every fish i have seen in person or pitcher that had a bait fish in its mouth the bait fish was being swallowed head first. any thing to that? I am not talking about hooked fish. My friend found a large bass this year that seemed to be dying next to shore from strangulation from swallowing to large of a shad. Its tall was sticking out the basses mouth. Is that normal or was the shad committing suicide?

16. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yeah, they always eat bait fish head first. That way the fins fold back and don't stick them on the way down. Thats why snakes eat head first as well makes the dinner go down better.

17. MOfisher314

MOfisher314 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I do the same with a circle hook.