Missouri river level.

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by kat in the hat, Jul 6, 2007.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am considering fishing the Missouri river next week, and was wondering what I might expect as far as how high it will be. I visited the NOAA site, and it didn't really seem to tell me what I'm looking for. Will the wing dikes be visible by thursday? I don't really want to be on the river if I can't see the dikes. For one, I don't want to shear a prop pin on unseen rocks. And secondly, I plan to run a couple of trots and want something to tie on to. Thanks in advance.

2. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    That all depends on where your going to put in at Matt, the river levels are 1ft above normal around Saint Joseph, futher south and east there still 3-4 ft high.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Kat, I picked a gauge (Waverly is the one I use) and kind of note what the river's doing at different levels (12' of Waverly gauge tells me that the dykes are just barely visible around Lexington where I usually fish, for example). As long as you pick a gauge fairly close to where you fish and jot down what the river's like at certain levels, you should be able to tell by looking at the NOAA site or USGS site whether the river's right for you based on your notes (or memory after a season...). Good Luck!

Branden

4. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    I was at the MO river @ H/W 70 today at around 4ish. It is still pretty high, and a few feet over the wing dams. I have not even attempted fishing the MO river this year for a couple of reasons: 1) I am close to the Miss River and 2) no one is really posting lots of big fish caught near St Louis (probably because the high water has pushed a lot of Mo River fisherman to other locations this year).

MDC site says the Mo River is unusually high for July.

Be safe,

CP

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thank you guys! Best I can tell, the river is at 11 feet right now where I want to fish. A buddy of mine crossed the river today, and said that the water is just barely topping the wing dikes, and expected to fall some more. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I don't plan to go 'till the middle of next week, and plan to fish for 3 days. There is a chance for rain between now and then, and only hope that it's not too much. I want the water to be up, but not too much. Of coarse I'll post any success or failure next weekend. Wish me luck, and luck to you all that will be fishin'. Right now, the plan is to put in around Miami. Never fished there before, but it's near the mouth of the Chariton, so hopefully, there will be options as to where and how we fish.