Missouri river @ KC 2007

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by brad kilpatrick, Feb 22, 2007.

1. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    going to hit the ole river tonight, I'll let ya all know how We fair!

2. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Good luck Brad. Keep us posted!

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Go get em Brad!!!!!!! Good Luck and Be Safe:cool2:

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You're nutty -- it ain't near warm enough to be out on the river at night in an open boat with no heat...:eek:oooh:

I was going to head out today for a while but didn't make it. And it looks like rain for Friday so my plans of going to Truman are probably going to be washed out.

But I have only 7 more days of employment before I get laid off, and I'm not planning to work at all in March, so there'll be plenty of catfishing in my near future, I'm certain!

5. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    It did get a bit chilly, but it was nice to be back on the River again. We launched from Kaw point no problem, plenty of ramp. Bait came easy on the Kaw, Shad on almost every throw. We also netted up quite a few (10) Buffalo. Water temp was 37-38*. Checked a few likely spots but no takers.

6. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Brad ,Is the missouri about normal stage? I think me and brandon strombli is going to try it at lexington saturday.

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    It looks like the river's on a rise for the next few days, too bad it's going to be a crappy weekend.

8. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    its finaly reached average median flow

9. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I noticed yesterday on the way to work the Platte was up quite a bit.Lots of ice floes cruising down.I can't keep up with all the different rulings about the spring releases,but the courts and COE can't control the rain and snow melt!

Got my flashlights and rainsuit ready for sat. nite after work...hope its time to pick a few thousand nightcrawlers...plenty of asprin for stiff back sunday morning:lol:

10. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Time to get back after it! Today I'm going to meet Doug C and his tourny partner Adam at Kaw Point. Doug has his new to him motor on His boat and is ready to take its maiden voyage. I'm sure all will be fine But He wanted Me around in case he needed a tow. After Doug is feeling good about the motor I'm gonna do some major hunting. I havent caught a fish in the river for quite some time. With the cold water temps I'm sure they are still stacked up so were gonna cover some water and stare at the sonar screen till We stumble on to some! Gotta find some fish to catch for the March 31st KC Cats tourny!

11. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Good luck Brad looks like it might be a little nipply this morning.

12. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Well that was pretty much a bust. Right after we started catching bait, Andrew called broke down all the way up By 435. Went and got them and towed them back to the ramp, kinda blew getting any fishing done.

I know a bunch of guys were out on the river today, did anyone have any luck?

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I found plenty of bait but didn't find any fish. Though I didn't spend more than 45 minutes or so with my line in the water so it wasn't a real test. Felt good to get the boat in the water for the first time in nearly 60 days!

Today's throw net species list:
    Silver and bighead carp (juveniles who now won't get a chance to grow up), drum, buffalo (2 at 15+ lbs each, in the same throw), common carp (1 at 10 lbs or so), crappie, shad, channel cat (at least 20 of them -- I hate trying to get them out of the net), and several quillback.

Water temp was 38.5 degrees +/-, very muddy and full of small debris (grass, weeds, sticks, etc.).

Didn't mark fish on the sonar at all, except in dead water behind a few wing dykes - and I suspect those were anything other than catfish. The amount of crud in the water was giving my graph all kinds of fits.

I saw John Jamison's truck and trailer parked at La Benite - wonder if he did any good?

14. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Mr. T, Where did you net your bait at? I went to the river Around Noon(Waverly)and never was able to net any bait. I did net a small Channel Cat. I only have a small net I think it is four foot and I can't throw it very well but I am`getting better. Where is the best place to throw? I was going to look for some small cuts in the dikes but its hard to do with the river as high as it is right now. Thanks for any help. Rob

15. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I've found about 5 or 6 reliable places to get bait on the river - it's a matter of trial and error until you figure it out. Check the mouths of creeks and slack water behind wing dykes. Caught all my bait today in less than 10 ft of water - once it warms up, you'll be able to catch shad in less than 3 ft quite easily.

Make your bait-catching life easier and buy an 8 ft net and learn to throw it. It's not hard at all to learn -- and even on a bad throw you'll have more open net than a perfect throw using a 4 ft net.

16. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mr. T,
    Where are you finding bait right now? I threw the net about 100 times in behind dykes, up in creeks ( the ones I could get into)...well just about everywhere and all I had to show for it was a couple of goldeye, half a dozen drum and a few small channel cats. I did end up catching my first few fish of the year though... I ended up catching 5 channels from 1-5 lbs. I didnt really care too much I was just glad to get out. But, I do need to find some bait, so If you could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

Good luck on the water.

17. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    The water temps were as high as 39 today in spots, and that's all I've got to say.

18. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Hey Doug, what motor did you get for your boat ?

19. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    brandon caught one channel 2 lbs water temp 34 to36 at lexington

20. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    so John, any luck? inquiring minds want to know...lol