Missouri River July 23

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Mr.T, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Went out on the Missouri River today with DougC and had a good time. Didn't catch too many fish, but good company just the same. Ended up with Doug catching one small channel and I caught a 7 lb blue on a whole live shad, my first ever Missouri River catfish!

We fished the downstream side of a few wing dykes with blown-out holes - seems to me like it should be the perfect kind of structure for blues; there's deep holes, current breaks, shallows with baitfish, moderate current and occasionally some driftwood.

We also fished near the power plant just downstream from I-435, which is where Doug cat the channel cat. Had some excitement for a while as a bank pole near us started thrashing wildly, obviously with a fish on. Eventually the guys who owned the pole came along to check it and we were expecting a real show as they hauled in the monster. But it wasn't much of a show - a blue cat, maybe 5 lbs or so. But he sure was making the PVC bank pole work!

I also had another fish on that was quite a bit bigger than the 7 lb'er, but he got tangled in my other line, which we thought was a double, so Doug was fighting on that pole as I was fighting mine and eventually the strain was too much and my line broke at the hook. Guess maybe it's time to upgrade from 20 lb Berkley Big Game line - perhaps I'll go back to PowerPro braid, with a 40 lb or so mono leader to the hook.

Anyway, if an idiot like me can catch a catfish on the Missouri, the fishing must really be looking up. Hoping to get out again during the week and maybe next weekend - it's certainly a lot closer than driving all the way to Truman lake every week!

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Great catch sure glad you had a good time on the Mo.River. We went out on the Mississippi this morning and brother-in -law caught 6 channels. Really big ones too every one of them was the same size(at least 6 inches long.):lol: . Oh well he did better than I did I didn' t catch any. anyway glad that you had a good day.

3. Winkstr

Winkstr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Glad you had a nice trip! I have a buddie that goes with me often. We always fish the missouri river..he usually out fishes me, last couple of times I have caught a few, and he has not. He keeps saying they need to re-stock............. I will have to tell him, it looks like they did! LOL
    Going night fishing Monday night..

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Yes, it seems like it's the other guy catching fish lately. Took a buddy from work Saturday afternoon to see what was biting. Marked some big fish on a rip-rapped outside bend and got set up. Thirty minutes later one of the rods goes down. I let him grab the rod and the fish is giving him a pretty good workout! Gets it all the way to the boat and the hook comes out(He's still getting used to my circle hook setup). Guesstimated in the 20lb range. Marty's fish from Sunday was definetely a good one also. Looks like the bite is picking up!

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Marty, you didn't mention the senior citizens kayak team we saw training!