Missouri River @ Jefferson City

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Mid-MO fisherman, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Mid-MO fisherman

Mid-MO fisherman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    I am thinking about hitting the Mo River at Jefferson City on Sat. Morning if i dont have to work. Will probably use livers. That is what i come by the easiest. Just curious if anyone fishes this section of river. I have had very limited luck this year. Was wondering which type of structure on the river i should concentrate on. The current moves very swift. There are wing dykes. I will be fishing out of a boat. The water level should be steady or rising with all of the rain in the forcast. Any Ideas would be appreciated.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    If you're going to use livers, you might as well stay on the flats and sand bars, as all you're going to catch is little channel cats...

Go to the bait shop and buy some frozen shad if you can't catch fresh shad yourself; while you're there, get some goldfish. You'll have a lot better chance of actually catching something.

3. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    What Marty said, or better yet go to Walmart and buy ya a cast net for twenty bucks and learn how to throw it, you'll have bait for the rest of your life. Best investment you'll ever make if you're gonna fish for cats on the Mo.
    Try fishing just below the wingdikes, right off the tip of it. Cast a bait to the inside in the slack water and another bait to the outside in the fast water, (you'll need a six or eight ounce sinker to hold in the fast water) and another bait straight down the current seam. If they are biting you will find them one of those three places. Change your bait often , fresh is good,..... old and washed out is bad. If you can't get the shad, then do buy the gold fish , try em live and cut up. Both ways work some days, neither work on other days.
    One more thing, if a big silver carp jumps into your boat , and it probably will, then you have all the bait you need for the day. Just fillet it and cut into chunks, hook it through the skin and change it often. There are lot's of other places to try on the river but I'd start with those and see how that works. Good fishing!!

4. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    Like mentioned before, use other bait if you want to catch bigger fish. We fish the same area of the river that you are talking about. We target the rock banks, the wing dikes, and the deep holes. We have had decent luck fishing off the tip of the dikes. We mainly use creek chubs and black perch as bait.

5. Mid-MO fisherman

Mid-MO fisherman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    Will definately remember your advice. May not be able to go tommorow if the weather doesnt hold out.

6. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Andy better yet just buy 2-nets cause nets dont last long when your learning to stay away from the rocks and branches:lol:
    Still cheaper in long run from store/baitshop bait.
    You might also check local fish markets for live/dead carp-they are just couple of bucks and get alot of mileage from them.

Good luck-hope to hear report of some nice fish!

7. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Hey Andy! Did you get out on the Mighty Mo yet? I am in Jeff City to and try bank fishing the thing but it is quite a task, its really grown up like a jungle right now. Now a buddy and I used to get on at the Cedar Creek access off of HWY63 and motor up to where it enters the Missouri and had some luck, a beautiful spot for sure, caught some nice channels and a few flats, a couple big ones broke off too. The thing is now the brand new boat ramp that the MSCD put in eroded real bad and they have it closed now. You have to put on at the Carl Noren access and go up river a few hundred yards, like you said though it can be a little scary getting out there with all the dykes and bardge traffic. Shoot me a message if ya ever need a fishin partner, love to get out there. You need to get some live bluegill or big goldfish to go along with the liver.

egg