Missouri River in the Nebraska City area ???

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by dpabrams, Oct 19, 2019.

1. dpabrams

dpabrams Well-Known Member

State:
    WY
    Name:
    dpabrams
    Looking to travel for some fall/ early winter blue cat fishing on the Missouri in the Nebraska City area. I will be travelling from central Wyoming and dragging my 18’ jet boat that’s decked out for bumping, suspending and anchoring. I am asking for a little help from the local blue experts:

1. Rigs- I would imagine everything for bumping, suspending and floats?

2. Bait- Wyoming is at a disadvantage, no skipjack or large shad available. I can trap some chubs and suckers but I will have to freeze them and I am still not certain its legal to use cut bait from another state. So what’s the bait availability from the bait shops? I have nets and rigs for catching skips and shad if necessary.

3. Ramps- I have plotted ramps on the Nebraska and Missouri side from Plattsmouth to the Langdon Bend. What would you consider the maps best situated for cats?

4. Licenses NE or Mo?- What licenses are needed from what state to fish the Missouri between Missouri and Nebraska? Is a NE license good for the whole Missouri if you launch in NE for example?

5. Ramps- Are the ramps on the Missouri free?

6. Inspections- I have a Wy AIS sticker. I just went through the area with my boat and saw no inspection sites?

7. Guides-. I might do a day with a guide, if there are any in the area?

8. Secondary species- are there sauger/ walleye that can be spooned or jigged in the Missouri this time of the year?

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Pete

2. VanKley

VanKley Well-Known Member

State:
    SE South Dakota
    Name:
    Tom Van Kley
    I would be surprised if any ramps are available. There are no ramps usable South of Omaha Unless you travel down to Saint Joe or further South like Kansas City. You may be able to put in by Blair.

3. VanKley

State:
    SE South Dakota
    Name:
    Tom Van Kley
    If you do find a usable ramp and Nebraska you will need a Nebraska AIS sticker on your trailer.

Keep in mind that the river has been flooded all year. I would do further investigating before dragging a boat that far.

4. dpabrams

State:
    WY
    Name:
    dpabrams
    Thanks for the intel. The water levels are decreasing. Are these ramps mudded in or washed away?

5. prlwng

prlwng Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    south dakota. sioux falls area
    Name:
    bill
    I do know an Iowa license is less than a Nebraska one for non res. There is a resevoir near Lincoln that has blues.

Heard from relative that they have been getting some cats at platte missouri junction. Never asked about open ramps.

Kansas should be ok also on Kansas river or Milford.

6. prlwng

State:
    Name:
    bill
    Oh, you can get a Nebraska ais sticker online.

7. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Name:
    Bob
    You can get your answers on line in different states, I'm a lake guy not a river rat but the missouri still out of her banks from Iowa to St, Joe or was not too long ago, better dbl. check what and where cuz I know from experience-I'm from S.E. Nebraska there isn't a ramp left period, one of the biggest floods in history this year.

8. cmblizz96

cmblizz96 Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Rulo was open but may be closed again since the last river crest

VanKley likes this.
  9. dpabrams

State:
    WY
    Name:
    dpabrams
    I'm still watching the gauges at Blair, still about 3' feet away. Boat is in the garage but if and when she gets lower and if we get a few days in the 40's and higher, I might make the trip.

VanKley likes this.
  10. dpabrams

State:
    WY
    Name:
    dpabrams
    Oops on advice from Vankley I am watching the Brownsville ramp. Looking at the forecast it will be December before the ramp is 35' or less. Anyone been out between Omaha and St. Jo lately?

VanKley likes this.
  11. VanKley

State:
    SE South Dakota
    Name:
    Tom Van Kley
    As of today, no go as far as Rulo.

12. dpabrams

State:
    WY
    Name:
    dpabrams
    Thanks for the update. Took the boat out on the North Platte and it's just too shallow with winter time flows. The gauge I watch in Glenrock was at .91 feet! Went out anyway as the lowest before was 1.27 feet in early May. I could use about 1/4 mile of river. Caught a couple of slimmers on Panther Martins (Rainbow trout) and one small channel on of all things a #2 Spin N' Glo I was testing with a 5/0 octopus and a crawler.

VanKley likes this.
  13. Bulldog Guy

Bulldog Guy Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    Cameron
    Brand spankin new member here from Lincoln ish apparently needing to make a few comments to allow access to the buy/sell

14. mooseman75

mooseman75 Well-Known Member

State:
    Utah
    Name:
    Justin
    Welcome to the forum glad to have you on board. I can't help you much on water knowledge as I'm from Utah but I can tell you this is a great site for information from knowledgeable people,

dpabrams likes this.
  15. dpabrams

State:
    WY
    Name:
    dpabrams
    I got the Brownsville gauge at just under 34'. Anyone been out?

16. prlwng

State:
    Name:
    bill
    Sioux City area down now. Ramp probly full of mud tho. We getting cold now so may be starting to freeze up. Dodging ice flows is not fun. Last across Misspuri in KC looked good. That is I435 anyway. Would love to fish those barges anchored there.

There are still fields with water/ice in them. As seen from I29. Not as high as last month. Hopeing March will bring a thaw venture.

SHOWME likes this.
  17. VanKley

State:
    SE South Dakota
    Name:
    Tom Van Kley
    The tough part now is the cold. River just getting manageable but the ice chunks will start soon.
    I seen a guy drowned bout 10 miles north of the Brownville Ramp last weekend. His boat anchor came loose and it started drifting from the bank. He went in after it with 34° river temps and never got back out.

Be safe yall.

SHOWME and dpabrams like this.
  18. cmblizz96

cmblizz96 Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Not sure when my boat motor will be fixed but I'll be out as soon as it is as long as the ice isn't too bad. If anything would like to check stuff out since the river is finally low again.

VanKley likes this.
  19. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Name:
    Bob
    Tom I seen a DA do something like that once, I did survive, really can't imagine that I did it though, its a impulse thing is guess, you'll never see it again though.

VanKley likes this.
  20. dpabrams

State:
    WY
    Name:
    dpabrams
    Standing by. I'm hoping that I can get on the Mo' at Nebraska City early, early spring before the spring flows. This late fall and winter has not worked out. I hope to hear of some progress on the ramps and roads that were flooded all of 2019.