Missouri River - how deep is deep

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by cathunter26, Jul 24, 2007.

1. cathunter26

cathunter26 New Member

State:
    columbia, mo
    I fish on the missouri and i feel like I have drove up and down that whole stretch of river and fished every deep hole i find in the channel i set my depth alarm on 35 ft. and when it goes off I fish but have yet to catch one fish out of them, I have read all over the place that the blues are in the deep pools in the channel but it isn't working for me. Does anyone have any advice on what I am doing wrong or where I should be fishing instead?

2. cathunter26

cathunter26 New Member

State:
    columbia, mo
    o yea, when I say that whole stretch I mean in the columbia and jefferson city area, if that helps at all.

3. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    It has been my experience, that when they are not where they are " supposed to be", I try everything else. Shallow, deep, rocks, dirt, or any place I have ever caught fish before. I stay in one place about fifteen minutes to a half hour. Works for me. But you will have days when you just cant find one anywhere.

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Lucas, I would say you should just follow me around and do exactly the opposite of what I do.

Or.........

You could follow theonecatfishbob but don't hit my boat, I'm already sneakin' around behind him.:smile2:

5. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know whether you have a good sonar or not, but my advise to you is...start at the top of an outside bend and float down it until you find structure, drops, and most important FISH...more times than not I will float down an out side bend and look for these things and if I mark fish in an area, it may only be one, but if I mark fish, I will pull in there and either get some really good bites or catch a fish! I fished a tourney last weekend in Waverly (this is water I have never seen before in my life) , and thats what we did, we went down before the tourney started and marked a few good spots during the daylight hours, and then when it came tourney time, we didn't have to spend much time at all locating the structure and fish! We ended up catching fish in some of the spots we marked them in the day before! I hope this helps!

Matt

6. Bigbluefisherman

State:
    Missouri
    Oh and another thing that I thought was funny about this past weekends tourney, we were down looking around like I said before the tourney and we marked several big fish on the sand bars in 8-10 foot of water during the middle of the hot summer day! So, you just never know where they might be!

7. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Yes Matt, but were they Cats or Carp?

8. Bigbluefisherman

State:
    Missouri
    My guess is they were blues...we have caught several nice blues off of sand bars in the middle of the day! When I say sand bars, i am talking about sand bars right above the channel or even right along the channel!

9. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Guess I should take that as a hint and give it a shot. I just don't have much faith setting in shallow water during the day, but I'll set in deep water and drown bait for hours on end, go figure. LOL:tounge_out:

Don't you have trouble with GAR in the shallows? Gets aggravating after a while.

10. Bigbluefisherman

State:
    Missouri
    The water I am talking about is moving too fast to have gar on it!

11. cathunter26

cathunter26 New Member

State:
    columbia, mo
    thanks alot guys I am sure it will help i am new to this type of fishing so I greatly appreciate all advice. I have done the trotline and limbline thing but rod and reel is so much differnt and so much more fun. We have always caught big fish on trotlines, 70lbs. being the biggest, but when I hooked into my personal best a 26 lb. blue this summer there was no comparison and now I am hooked

12. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    when fishing for blues always go with fast oxygen filled water, mud flats never seem to produce but sand seems to be key for ME. also concentrate on flats with deep dykes (both sides).