Missouri River Forecast to drop another 3 ft

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Mr.T, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
  2. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    You guys must still have a little water up there. If we dropped three feet here , every ramp withing thirty miles either direction would be completely out of water. Only seen that a couple times over the years., not a pretty site when you are wanting to go fishing. The forcast for here is to hold steady for the next several days then to drop a another tenth of a ft. Believe me, that is bad enough. Already getting tough to launch the boat. Back into the water as far as possible, backing the trailer off the end of the ramp into the mud and at that point the stearn of the boat is just barely floating.

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    With the colder temps we're going to have this week and the falling water, maybe it will have the cats stacked up in the holes. Might be better for the fishing this weekend.:cross:

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Actually, it's forecast to drop even further at Kansas City - down to 4.3 ft by Oct 24, a full 4.3 ft lower than today's reading.

http://www.nwd-mr.usace.army.mil/rcc/reports/internal/showrep.cgi?3STAG1

The Kansas City gauge is MKCF, about midway down the page. The first two rows are daily forecast numbers, the second two rows are the change from day to day.

At Herrman, MO (HEMF), the gauge will be out of the water by Oct 24!!

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I feel for you. We (Oklahoma) has had the second worst drought since they started keeping records at statehood. The lake outside the house is down about 8 feet and still going. At least it is easy to catch shad. lOL

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    They usually drop the level around the end of November, but they are doing it early (again) this year because of the low levels in the lakes up north. Most years it doesn't fall below 4 feet, even in mid winter, so 4.3 feet in October is just pitiful. The ramps get pretty difficult below 6-7 feet.

http://www.radioiowa.com/gestalt/go...-4280-AAB1B4B8123F54E8&dbtranslator=local.cfm

"The latest review of water levels in the Missouri River basin has the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers sticking with its plan to shorten the barge shipping season this year by 44 days. Corps spokesman Paul Johnston says it could be worse. Last year they shortened it by 48 days, and by 47 days in 2004. There's still a drought around the big reservoirs farther north on the river, and leaving the river's water low is a good way to save a lot of water.

Johnston says the dam upriver from Sioux City at Gavins Point currently releases about 28-thousand cubic feet per second, but soon that will be cut way down to about ten-thousand C-F-S. He says people will notice at Sioux City. He calls it a "pretty significant drop" in early October that won't come back up until ice begins to form, "as winter rolls into the Midwest." The most severe effect may be on hydro-power plants upriver on the big dams that use the river's flow to generate electricity.

They're likely to produce only about 40-percent the usual amount of hydro-power, which will undersupply WAPA, the Weatern Area Power Administration. Normally it sells electricity to utilities all over the Midwest, but this summer it's had to buy power, an expense that'll be reflected in customers' bills before long. That's invariably at peak demand times of year, so they end up paying a premium price for that energy. It's more than the contract price and eventually will have to raise rates for users.

Johnston says hydropower generation along the Missouri River has been down for the last several years because of the ongoing drought. In a normal year, the CorpsÂ’ six plants produce about 10-billion kilowatt hours of energy. The Missouri River's barge navigation goes as far north as Sioux City and the last day of this year's official navigation season will be September 8 at Sioux City, the tenth at Omaha, October 13 at Kansas City and the 17th at St.Louis. "

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Wow, half a foot a day later this week will be pretty noticeable. I may have been wrong about the fishing, they will probably be headed for St. Louis! Might have to string some nets across the river to catch them!

8. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Which of the ramps around Kansas City will still be useable once they drop the river level?

9. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    I work in Lexington Missouri and am only a few minutes away from the river. I don't fish it (only have an hour) but I keep thinking about it. I spend my lunch hours at the ramp everyday, just watching people fish, boats coming and going, river traffic, etc. while I eat my lunch.

Today I noticed it was down quite a bit from yesterday. I'm not sure how much but I'd guess a good 6 inches.

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I don't know fellas if the Mo.river gets any lower down around Chesterfield ,Mo. you'll be able to walk accross it.:roll_eyes: It's starting to get really bad.
    '

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    It seems like Riverfront Park was the last ramp to be usable last year. Kaw Point might still be, too. Other than that, Atchison :eek:oooh:

12. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City

Kaw Point will be out of the question, I had some trouble there last year after the river dropped.

Riverfront park will still be useable but it closes @ 10pm.

not sure about La benite

13. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Guess its about time to dust off the ole Benelli and go west to chase roosters. I was hoping to make it till november before I slowed it down.

14. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    The new ramp at sibley is in good shape when it gets low. we'll know soon for sure.

15. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Looks like Jim and I may have the river to ourselfs. Man I'm glad he has a jet boat.......:smile2:

16. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    You can launch at Ft. Osage, La Benite, or Missouri City.

17. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Well with the river dropping that much it will shut down our ramps up north around blenco Ia. maybe We can still put in at the Little Souix ramp.Only Good thing I can see about it is maybe I can walk the banks of the river and retrive some of My sinkers that I have lost over the years in those darn snags! LOL. J.D.
    :0a20:

18. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    We are at one foot on our gauge now and predicted to be at .6 by middle of next week. Looks like I better hit it hard this next few days cause it may be just about over for me this year. You guys up the line need to do a rain dance or something.

19. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    You wont be the only one troy lamines will be where everyone puts in ,last year it was the only ramp you could put in so everyones going there.

20. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Robert, did you do any good at Lexington this week end,
    You, I think said a all nighter. was on.
    Jim