Missouri river flow/success reports

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by cmblizz96, May 31, 2014.

1. DeerSlayer515

DeerSlayer515 Member

State:
    Neola, Iowa
    Name:
    Ryan
    [​IMG]
    Heres the little guy I caught

cmblizz96, flathead_hunter and Toneyd like this.
  2. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    [​IMG]

One time last fall bumping, caught this one, The cheapo scale said it was almost 35 lbs, I think it was more like 25-30 at best

3. DeerSlayer515

DeerSlayer515 Member

State:
    Neola, Iowa
    Name:
    Ryan
    Damn! thats bigger than mos the fish I catch.

4. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    If you're going to fish the mouth of the platte you should put in at plattsmouth save time and gas

5. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    It was a good year last year, I caught way more and bigger fish than I ever had before when I started bumping.

JR I am wanting to make it down to the Bartlett ramp sometime soon, Is there any spots around there that are good?

6. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    Yeah I think so I haven't fished that way to much

7. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    Anyone else brave the speedboat wake to make it on the river? I went for about 2 hours. Not a single bite. Seems like they are coming off the spawn in MO so it should be any day now up here

jdstraka likes this.
  8. DeerSlayer515

DeerSlayer515 Member

State:
    Neola, Iowa
    Name:
    Ryan
    Nothing but small channels. Did shoot some jumping carp tho.

9. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    One blue Sunday about 15 lbs

10. Benson

Benson New Member

State:
    Logan, IA
    Name:
    Bryce
    I was out for a couple hours at Wilson Island. No bites

cavillac likes this.
  11. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    I think im going to focus south of Wilson Island, seems like all the crackerjack hillbilly set liners go north from the Ramp.

12. cmblizz96

cmblizz96 Member

State:
    Nebraska

A lot of those guys come down from Blair.

flathead_hunter likes this.
  13. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    I dont doubt that one bit either Matt, it seems every time Im at the ramp at Wilson island I see a bunch of shmucks launching in 15 foot boats with no fishing gear. I can only assume they're out raping the river.

cmblizz96 likes this.
  14. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    The river is coming back to life, I went out for a couple hours. Only managed a 5lb channel but had a couple other bites which is an exponential increase over no bites and no fish lol. I saw JR got a blue this evening too so thats a good sign!

I had the biggest tiller motor boat I've ever seen with my Merc 75.. But that came to an end when I pulled up to the ramp and saw a guy launching a jon boat with a Yamaha VMAX 250hp tiller! First of all the boat only looked like a 20-22ft boat so Im not sure how it is rated for a 250hp motor when my 18' maxed out at 75. And I would think you'd have to have a power steering setup for a motor that big!

cmblizz96 and Catpaw like this.
  15. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I would bet he had one of those "Big Tiller"s on there. They are hydraulic and made to handle the big motors. Made for two categories. Up to 60 hp and over 60 hp. Lesser one is not hydraulic. Cost about $1000 for the smaller one but it has some nice capabilities. Steering locks when you release the handle so you don't have to worry about motor creep. The RPMs can be adjusted in 100 rpm increments so the motor can be used for trolling.

That is the only way I can see that size motor with a tiller.

I think Mercury bought the Big Tiller company out.

16. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    Yeah I got one about 20 lost something else right before that.. we were in a hole we marked a lot of fish in that spot thinking maybe they were deep with the full moon

cmblizz96 likes this.
  17. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    I have the Mercury "Big Tiller" handle on my boat and I bought the RPM switch because it was reasonably priced. Mine is adjustable in 10RPM increments. I probably wouldnt consider the steering lock and hydraulic assist unless I was putting it on something over 150. Trimming it right makes steering pretty effortless. If Im going long distances there is a knob I can tighten down to lock the throttle too. My next boat will probably be another console boat. I will probably keep my current jon for duck hunting though..

18. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    It is my understanding that when the two versions were made, the company decided for their own liability to make the cutoff for the smaller version at the 60hp. Anything larger would have to have the hydraulic version.

The lock in place I am referring to for the larger motors is automatic and built into the handle itself. Of course there is the arm that comes out and on the end is the throttle control. That last 6 inches or so what you grip to give the motor gas will flex, slightly right or left when you push on it, unlocking it so the arm will move. If you push on the arm, and not the grip, the arm will not move. I had forgotten the adjustments were in 10 rpm increments and not 100. Must be getting old.

cavillac likes this.
  19. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    Tom I know what you mean, Im pretty sure thats what John Jamison had on his Lund, it was a Verado though. I always wondered how all that worked, thanks for explaining!

20. cmblizz96

cmblizz96 Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Kind of like bumping, first try at it and got a small blue in less than 10 minutes, beginners luck I guess. Shortly after my buddies battery took a crap. Just need to get something bigger

Attached Files:

Toneyd likes this.